Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 237460 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
If I understand it correctly, the University of Nebraska will pay him something like $3M/year minus whatever he earns from another program.  So from a financial perspective, the U of N will be paying the lions share of the salary of Pellini if he were to come here, and there really is no financial advantage of most other schools over YSU.  Facilities, recruiting budget, career prestige.....that's where the drop off is.

Maybe he'd rather be back in Ytown for a few years (I think his wife is also from Ytown) and then go back to the FBS after his kids graduate from Mooney? 

It actually makes sense.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2014, 06:57:50 PM »
If I understand it correctly, the University of Nebraska will pay him something like $3M/year minus whatever he earns from another program.  So from a financial perspective, the U of N will be paying the lions share of the salary of Pellini if he were to come here, and there really is no financial advantage of most other schools over YSU.  Facilities, recruiting budget, career prestige.....that's where the drop off is.

Maybe he'd rather be back in Ytown for a few years (I think his wife is also from Ytown) and then go back to the FBS after his kids graduate from Mooney? 

It actually makes sense.

Spot on. If he and his family want to come back home... Well, come on aboard!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »
This really could work.  The terms of the buyout detailed here:

http://www.ketv.com/news/nebraska-could-owe-bo-pelini-765-million/29990402

He gets $150K/month until 2019 from Nebraska, minus the salary paid by his new employer.

Backload his contract.  Pay him $1/year for the next four years.  In 2019, when the Nebraska payout is completed, pay him $ 5x Wolf's salary plus accrued interest, which would be ~$1.25M plus interest.

By 2020, he will likely desire a move back to the FBS, if he hasn't left already.

Another option is apply the unpaid YSU salary toward the recruiting budget and assistants salaries, and he leaves after 2018.

If a decision is to be announced this week, and he was on campus this week, I would say that this is the likely outcome at this point. 

I must say that I am FIRED UP.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
A decision is coming by the end of this week.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »
Glad to hear this. I wanted no part of Wright:
"@JoeScalzo1: @therealBerdman  thank God. This isn't hard. Brian Wright...no brainer... | I've been told he's out of the picture."

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2014, 11:53:51 PM »
Glad to hear this. I wanted no part of Wright:
"@JoeScalzo1: @therealBerdman  thank God. This isn't hard. Brian Wright...no brainer... | I've been told he's out of the picture."
That's a relief to me

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
Dana Balash @DanaBalash21  ·  6m 6 minutes ago

@21WFMJSports  Another name I'm hearing a lot today in regards to YSU job is Eastern Kentucky Coach Dean Hood.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »
Before the Pelini rumors, we would probably have been satisfied with Hood's credentials.  Defensive coordinator in the ACC.  Head coaching experience at the FCS level, granted at a program in a non-power conference.  Got to believe that Eastern Kentucky does not pay nearly 250K, so there is the financial incentive and the competitive incentive of the MVFC.  Let's not automatically dump on this guy just because of unfounded Pelini rumors.

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2014, 05:13:02 PM »
I went over today and read a little bit about Coach Hood at Maroon-Nation.com aka the home of the EKU Colonels Fans and to sum it up, Coach Hood is the Coach Wolford of EKU. A coach who can't seem to take the next step with his program. Their fan base would be happy to see him go.

I'd encourage everyone to go over and check out their forum and the thread titled "Will there be a Coaching Change?" might be a good place to start.

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »
EKU beat Miami of Ohio this year but lost to Indiana State at home in the playoffs.  From website: The Eastern Kentucky offense changed gears under (offensive coordinator)  Damron three years ago from a spread scheme to a power rushing attack.  They played at Robert Morris this year and at non-scholarship Moorhead last year.  They played Florida the week before the Indiana State playoff game.  They played two 1A schools this year and will do the same next year.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Heard it is assistant coaching salaries that are holding up the Pelini thing. Tress has talked to him twice. Stay tuned.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
tic tic tic tic tic
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline JackJD

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2014, 10:38:16 PM »
Pretty amazing attention YSU football has been getting across the nation all based on rumors of Coach Pelini!  Well, whoever your new coach is, everyone will have heard of him and that's an opportunity. Recruits will know his name when he calls.  Best of luck to you in selecting a good one which, in the end, benefits the entire MVFC.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »
Assuming that Pelini is interested, it is only natural that he would want to bring here from Nebraska as many staff members as possible.  But there is no way that we could pay them at big time assistant coach market value.  That is why I think that this courtship will fail. Then again, if he were to take a job in the MAC, Sunbelt, etc., there is no way that those schools could pay his assistants big time market value either.  Perhaps Pelini will come to the realization that, unless another big time program wants him, he must rebuild a staff with young (and relatively cheap) assistants. 

Offline YSU_Penguins17

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2014, 11:33:29 PM »
Undoubtedly I want Bo Pelini for all of the obvious reasons but if we don't hire him, I'll support whoever our choice is just like the true fans will. I understand right now for majority of fans it'll be a big disappointment if we don't get Pelini. Beat Pittsburgh...again!
"The Red and White are waving..."