Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235792 times)

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »
I think Rick Shepas would be a logical interview first off but if a coach at a school that doesnt offer scholarships has a successful record why wouldnt we be interested? If a coach can get athletes by only offering financial aid , wouldnt you think he can recruit at our level? I think thats where we need to look. However, I dont agree with the notion that we need to stay away from anyone with YSU or Youngstown ties. We need the right hire, no matter where we find him. It should prove interesting

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 11:41:09 AM »
Ha! Bo ain't coming here. Keep dreaming'.

Online penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
Why does it have to be someone with Youngstown connection?  That doesn't qualify them, it limits the pool. My gosh people are you all serious?   What assistant coach in Tressel's and YSU's past are that special?   Daryl Hazel is the only one I'm impressed with.  We are still an upper tier FCS program although we have been slipping and part of the reason is the damned thought process and restrictions that everyone is discussing.  We shouldn't limit the selection to Youngstown that is how we got here in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:08:16 PM by penguinpower »

Offline 1a4YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 12:34:22 PM »
Last year the former coach recruited 24  high school players. ONly one player was from the Mahoning County. None from Columbiana, none from Trumbull co. The new coach should be rethinking not recruiting this area.
Also, the new coach needs to have 1a experience. Ia experience to take the football program to 1a. YSU's basketball program, has been 1a for sometime. Time to move on.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »
Tired of people saying "Oh, well maybe if you recruit the Mahoning Valley more...."

People don't realize the talent level in this community has dropped off greatly in the past couple years.

You'll get the few D1 studs like LJ Scott and George Hill who go to the Big10, but other than that....

The talent just isn't as fruitful as it once was.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
TheRb from Brookfield got  signed here and I chuckled. Where is he. Do you know how many Mooney and Ursuline players didn't work out ? The area is buried with cronyism , yet better athletes come here from hotbeds in Fla. ,Calif. and other states beating out area athletes for playing time. What 'amazing' stars should have been offered ?    Lol.

Loser

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »
I know some folks would find this a poor idea but.....Mike Tressel? LB coach under Dantonio.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
I have a gut feeling that our new coach will be a man that has not yet been mentioned on this board or in the media.  Right now, I am positive that Tressel is networking with all of his contacts and filtering through their suggestions.  Penguinpower nailed it.  Nobody that worked here under Tressel previously really stands out. 

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
The question is, is Tressel also working the OC/DC positions as well!!!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 05:51:45 PM »
Tired of people saying "Oh, well maybe if you recruit the Mahoning Valley more...."

People don't realize the talent level in this community has dropped off greatly in the past couple years.

You'll get the few D1 studs like LJ Scott and George Hill who go to the Big10, but other than that....

The talent just isn't as fruitful as it once was.
That's hitting the nail on the head! 8)

ValleyTalk

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 06:16:42 PM »
@FAUOWLACCESS: Rumors have FAU OC Brian Wright on the short list for the Youngstown St job, Wright says no contact with YSU - yet. http://t.co/mPw5Wgm3Ui

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »
@FAUOWLACCESS: Rumors have FAU OC Brian Wright on the short list for the Youngstown St job, Wright says no contact with YSU - yet. http://t.co/mPw5Wgm3Ui

Not sure I like Wright for the job... Feel like we need a more defensive minded HC.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 10:12:45 PM »
Was Wright still here in the year when two scholarship quarterbacks quit DURING the season?  If so, should that not raise a red flag?

Offline penmight

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »
The deep talent pool that once dominated this valley is now a swallow puddle. It's not getting better either. If someone wants to save football at YSU, they had better look at recruiting trends in the MVFC and search out the best assistants in this league.

Start with calls to NDSU personnel and go from there.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 11:44:03 PM »
Here is the home schedule for our new coach:
@DanaBalash21: YSU 2015 home FB schedule: 9/12 Robert Morris, 9/19 St.Francis, 10/10 Ill. St., 10/16 SDSU, 11/7 Missouri St. 11/14 NDSU

I wish we had NDSU when it were warm to play in front of a bigger crowd. Nonetheless, a bit more attractive, but much tougher at home.

Also, some more from FAU fans:
http://www.fauowlsnest.com/forum/topicview/misc/fau-football/fau-oc-brian-wright-to.htm?post_id=338725&keep_session=46127087
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 12:22:54 AM by ValleyTalk »