Author Topic: Wolf Officially Gone  (Read 29314 times)

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf Officially Gone
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »
I understand the current players' disappointment.  But, five years no playoffs, 1,000 people in the stands.  Really, the university had no choice.  I was a huge fan of Wolford, still remember watching that Pitt game on espn3 on my phone while working bingo concessions at my son's high school two years ago.  Was a huge win.   

But in the end, a time for a change.  And best wishes to Eric Wolford.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 07:35:51 AM »
Nation: I do not want this thread to deteriorate into a thread on a coach that left 5-years ago. Our opinions on that matter are always going to be quite different. My point is this:

Wolf changed the face of YSU football, that is because he changed the "style" of football we (for decades prior to his arrival) played.  Heacock maintained the style of ball that two of his predecessors ran. He looked to change the offense his last two years. It was this change, combined with it's lack of success that you bring up and thus cost coach H his job. So, my point is ...who really "destroyed" the program? Unless our next coach plans on maintaining status quot ...the answer has to be coach Wolf.

I propose that we go to the thread (or do it here) on the next coach and add commentary on the TYPE of football you would like to see played at YSU ...and this is what is going to fill up the stands and empty the tailgate lots come kick-off. Hard-nosed football is a part of what defines this Valley and I guarantee you that this fact is not news to Strollo and Tressel.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
Ten Thoughts from Joe Scalzo:
http://www.vindy.com/weblogs/penguin-insider/2014/nov/25/ten-thoughts-wolfords-ouster/

Joe brings up a great point, and I can see why the players are not happy, even if they were not the biggest fans of Wolf.

"The worst part is, scholarships aren't guaranteed, so players are at the mercy of coaches who didn't recruit them. It's a rotten system." - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/weblogs/penguin-insider/2014/nov/25/ten-thoughts-wolfords-ouster/#sthash.qPgv57lB.dpuf

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
Wow. Informative article by Scalzo.  I really like his writing.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
Wolf being fired doesn't surprise me. And yes I can understand the players are upset. Coaching is like any other job if you aren't producing chances are you are going to get fired.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
Here's the link to another article that says a lot:

Here are some quotes that I found interesting:
“The one thing that Heacock did really well was, everyone bought in,” Radakovich said. “Everyone loved him as a coach. Wolford was a much more polarizing figure. You either loved him or you hated him. I think that was an asset at times but it was also a detriment, because when things went bad a lot of guys weren’t ready to stick by him.”

“Guys would say, ‘What superstar is going to come in now and fizzle out?’” Radakovich said. “That lack of continuity makes it hard to build that bond you usually see in a football team, where you’re fighting for your brother. We always had great talent but with that comes a lot of individuality.”

"Shaw, who went through four position changes in his first two seasons before developing into an all-conference tight end, said the coaching staff also played favorites, which hurt team chemistry.“We knew it as players and it would rip through the locker room,” he said. “I’m not afraid to admit that. They were bringing in different guys that maybe necessarily shouldn’t have played right away, so there was never that true team camaraderie.  “A lot of us really did buy in, like [RB Jamaine] Cook, [QB] Kurt Hess, [OL] Lamar Mady, but you know that was their personality. Wolford had a personal relationship with some players, but it was lacking with other players. I think he was a great emotional leader but he couldn’t always relate on a personal level.”

"Both Shaw and Radakovich said Wolford is an extremely talented offensive line coach but felt he struggled to develop a complete team, particularly the defense and special teams. Shaw also felt the coaching staff struggled to make second half adjustments, often dominating the first half offensively before getting out-schemed in the second half."

“I love Wolford and I don’t regret the decision to come there,” Shaw said. “He’s a great recruiter, so it was never a problem trying to get talent. But I felt like we should have been a playoff team a couple times and made a couple long runs.”

Very telling statements about Wolford's coaching style.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:04:33 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 09:41:38 AM »
I said last year that I thought Wolford probably maxed out his potential....at least at this time of his career.  I have a really hard time imaging this guy winning four playoff games.  The team for years seemed ill-prepared for games and undisciplined.  Wolford was emotionally unsteady and his team reflected that.  I didn't see how that was going to change.  He doesn't seem like the kind of coach that can put together a 10-2 season. 

The talent level is obviously better now than with Heacock...but the results aren't that much different.  8-4 and 7-5 seasons aren't anything to be excited about, obviously.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »
8 -4 and 7-5 would be great seasons IF they included playoffs.  Most fans here are spoiled.

And the MVFC is far tougher now than when Heacock  coached.  Some people are going to get disappointed again.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:07:07 AM by paladin »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »
BTW, I pretty much see things the way Scalzo does ( except for his #9) . He does not sugar coat and calls them as he sees them. Reminds me of me.  Good beat writer who is always interesting.

However, the comment that they are going to "aim high" is hilarious when the $250k is offered. Most  major ASSISTANTS AREN'T GOING TO TAKE A PAY CUT to take the YSU job and the reputation of this place may make for some interesting negotiations by the  new coach's agent. Love to be a mouse in that room, lol 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
Here's the link to another article that says a lot:

http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=9878.30;last_msg=74057

Here are some quotes that I found interesting:
“The one thing that Heacock did really well was, everyone bought in,” Radakovich said. “Everyone loved him as a coach. Wolford was a much more polarizing figure. You either loved him or you hated him. I think that was an asset at times but it was also a detriment, because when things went bad a lot of guys weren’t ready to stick by him.”

“Guys would say, ‘What superstar is going to come in now and fizzle out?’” Radakovich said. “That lack of continuity makes it hard to build that bond you usually see in a football team, where you’re fighting for your brother. We always had great talent but with that comes a lot of individuality.”

"Shaw, who went through four position changes in his first two seasons before developing into an all-conference tight end, said the coaching staff also played favorites, which hurt team chemistry.“We knew it as players and it would rip through the locker room,” he said. “I’m not afraid to admit that. They were bringing in different guys that maybe necessarily shouldn’t have played right away, so there was never that true team camaraderie.  “A lot of us really did buy in, like [RB Jamaine] Cook, [QB] Kurt Hess, [OL] Lamar Mady, but you know that was their personality. Wolford had a personal relationship with some players, but it was lacking with other players. I think he was a great emotional leader but he couldn’t always relate on a personal level.”

"Both Shaw and Radakovich said Wolford is an extremely talented offensive line coach but felt he struggled to develop a complete team, particularly the defense and special teams. Shaw also felt the coaching staff struggled to make second half adjustments, often dominating the first half offensively before getting out-schemed in the second half."

“I love Wolford and I don’t regret the decision to come there,” Shaw said. “He’s a great recruiter, so it was never a problem trying to get talent. But I felt like we should have been a playoff team a couple times and made a couple long runs.”

Very telling statements about Wolford's coaching style.

If those lines in bold don't tell the whole story, then nothing else does. Bingo!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
I read the article today and also felt that it was very telling, interesting to hear it from the players side
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
Strollo said today in the press conference that no current assistant coaches will be considered for the job. Good news.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
8 -4 and 7-5 would be great seasons IF they included playoffs.  Most fans here are spoiled.

8-4 is not a good record in college football.  That's an okay record.  Show me the last national champion in FCS with four losses.  Spoiled or not, success around here should be measured in conference and national championships, not managing to qualify for a watered down 24-team playoff.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
LOL....count the number of teams I. The layoffs with 8-4 and 7-5 records.  I do believe most here have lost all perspective. Even Tressel would not duplicate what he did before. Times have changed. The next guy needs a good agent. A lot of folks are going to be surprised.........