Author Topic: Wolf Officially Gone  (Read 29300 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf Officially Gone
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »
Correct. Current players who may transfer out and recruits who may change their mind make next year problematic. Those who say we have talent and what's the worst that can happen b firing Wolf and the staff may get a liberal education as to how athletics really work at this level. If the program does collapse you are looking at years getting back to where we are with losing program and no where near layoffs for a while IF YSU recovers.  Should get real interesting, lol

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »
Some of the players are not very happy with the decision, especially the starting QB...

Hunter Wells @h_wells8  ·  48m 48 minutes ago

"Big mistake getting rid of wolf, that really pisses me off."
Should think twice...didn't Wolford throw him under the bus on the Indiana State overtime check off int?
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
I feel bad that a local guy, couldnt get it done.  He was a deadman walking as soon as Tressel got hired.  As for the players I would of expected them to be upset.  I hope Brian Wright isnt the top candidate.  He was the master of the non adjustment down and out offense
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
Correct. Current players who may transfer out and recruits who may change their mind make next year problematic. Those who say we have talent and what's the worst that can happen b firing Wolf and the staff may get a liberal education as to how athletics really work at this level. If the program does collapse you are looking at years getting back to where we are with losing program and no where near layoffs for a while IF YSU recovers.  Should get real interesting, lol

Where exactly is our program now?   The worst that can happen is more years under Wolf where we dont make the playoffs.  No one likes change.  You never know what the next man will bring.  But i can tell i am less afraid of this change than a future with Wolford. 

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
LOL !  YSU has been one game away from the playoffs for a number of years. You might be amazed how quickly that disappears. Other than this year, record improved every year. Recruiting was pretty good.  Wolf got done in by his personality and lacking a good DC most years. So, we roll the dice, lol.  The public sees a jerk but the program got I proved, just not playoffs and yet they were close. May yearn for these days again, lol.

Cmon, baby. 7 or 11. Please no snake eyes, lol

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
I don't get where everyone is talking that the program improved.  No, it didn't.  He had 0-fer months in each of the last 3 years.  And oh by the way, they were late in the year when your team SHOULD be improving not regressing.

Leave the whole program improved concept alone already. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:55:29 PM by SoupCity »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »
This is a very good statement...and strong possibility! !

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 09:04:52 PM »
The program improved, with wins against Pitt and AT NDSU.

The talent level DEFINITELY improved thanks to the great recruiting of Wolf and staff.

The problem was developing those athletes into real football players, and putting a winning, playoff caliber team out on the field. Plain and simple.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
Even though I'm happy about the decision and agree that it needed to be done.  I would like to wish Eric Wolford and his family the best as they go forward.  I hope he's learned something from being the YSU Head Coach.  I wasn't a fan of his, but I've talked with people who said he is a really good man.    And that's good enough for me.  Good Luck Eric!!!

I had the privilege of meeting his mother in the elevator before the ISUb game.  A very nice woman who asked that we didn't say anything bad about her son on the way up.  I'm sure they all knew he was coaching for his job this year.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »
The program improved, with wins against Pitt and AT NDSU.

The talent level DEFINITELY improved thanks to the great recruiting of Wolf and staff.

The problem was developing those athletes into real football players, and putting a winning, playoff caliber team out on the field. Plain and simple.

Fair statements
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »
The program not improved?

After inheriting the "Team of the 90s", and after nine years as HC, Heacock's two final season's were:

4-8
6-5

After nine years to develop the program, that's apparently the best he could do.  Then he took a year off on YSU's dollar.

The Wolf record:

3-8
6-5    includes a win at eventual national champs NDSU
7-4   includes a 31-17 win at Pitt, and a win vs UNI (not done by Heacock)
8-4
7-5

How is going from 4-8 and 6-5 to 8-4 and 7-5 not an improvement?  I know I went to Youngstown schools but 7 and 8 are greater than 4 and 6.

Anyway, Wolf will be fine.  Best of luck to him.  I like him, but close is not good enough.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »

After inheriting the "Team of the 90s", and after nine years as HC, Heacock's two final season's were:

4-8
6-5

After nine years to develop the program, that's apparently the best he could do.  Then he took a year off on YSU's dollar.

The Wolf record:

3-8
8-4
7-5

How is going from 4-8 and 6-5 to 8-4 and 7-5 not an improvement?  I know I went to Youngstown schools but 7 and 8 are greater than 4 and 6.

Anyway, Wolf will be fine.  Best of luck to him.  I like him, but close is not good enough.
Well said. Agree 100%

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 10:00:10 PM »
I guess there are two ways to define or discuss "improvement."  Did Wolf's wins and losses get better than Heacock?   Yes=improvement.  Did Wolford get us into the playoffs more often than Heacock?  No=no improvement.  Did wolford get us into the playoffs?  No=no improvement. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »

4-8
6-5

The Wolf record:

3-8
8-4
7-5

You took the years were we were converting to a spread offense under coach H ...so the fair comparison is Wolf's first two vs. H's last 2. Record the same. So you don't think that if Wolf had won the MVFC twice, that we would not have had at least 2 post-season appearances and not having this conversation right now? Did he make it to the semi's?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »

4-8
6-5

The Wolf record:

3-8
8-4
7-5

You took the years were we were converting to a spread offense under coach H ...so the fair comparison is Wolf's first two vs. H's last 2. Record the same. So you don't think that if Wolf had won the MVFC twice, that we would not have had at least 2 post-season appearances and not having this conversation right now? Did he make it to the semi's?

You can add whatever extraneous excuses you want.  After 9 years of Heacock, he gave us 4-8 and 6-5.  Maybe if the Wolf had four more years (like Heacock did) he'd make the playoffs one of them.  I suspect he would since he came so close the last three years, including this year.

Wolf improved the program, as evidenced by his record.  Heacock destroyed it, as evidenced by his record.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen