Author Topic: Decision Time  (Read 23094 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Decision Time
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
This coming today from Football Scoop:

Youngstown State (FCS – OH): Per source, “the board” will meet tomorrow to discuss head coach Eric Wolford’s future with the program. Youngstown finished 7-5 this season, Wolford’s fifth as head coach. They have averaged 7 wins over each of the last four seasons.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Decision Time
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
Why tomorrow?  Should have met today.  A day of a HC search and subsequent recruitment of assistants and players lost.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 05:09:22 PM »
Why tomorrow?  Should have met today.  A day of a HC search and subsequent recruitment of assistants and players lost.
Oh relax. Some are never happy. Ever think not everyone was available being it is a Sunday???
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:27:49 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »
Oh relax. Some are never happy. Ever think not everyone was available being it is a Sunday???

That's right.  They are government employees.

Seriously, this is a time-sensitive matter as the window for recruitment of talent is narrow.  Sometimes when you have an important job you get of yer arse when necessary.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Spiderlegs

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
I imagine that Strollo cannot authorize the buyout by himself, and I also imagine there will be some debate about the whether the expenditure is a good idea given the state of university finances.

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
I imagine that Strollo cannot authorize the buyout by himself, and I also imagine there will be some debate about the whether the expenditure is a good idea given the state of university finances.

The expenditure is a good idea if you look at how many people are in the stands during a game.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »
No butts in the seats is just like the record - not the fault of the coaching staff.
It is because of:
a.  OSU
b.  aging fans
c.   high school football fans
d.  ignorant fans
e.  television
f.   you name it
g.  all of the above
h.  a,c and d but not f or g

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:16:31 PM »
WKBN had posted that no decison was made yet on their facebook link..somebody posted that they hoped Dan Rivers wouldnt waste 3 Hrs on something that so few show up at the games.  She even spelled Penguins with a q.  ...That says it all.  Youngstown St as an institution of higher learning Nationally recognized  is not thought  of highly in the community. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 06:16:59 PM »
These guys took care of business on a Sunday. :)

http://www.missouristatebears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112314aaa.html

Don't overexert yourselves on this one YSU suits .....that's what tomorrows are for......and as far as Slocum goes....whats another year?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
Do you really think BOT members work on Sundays?
IMO, If Wolf stays on as coach for next year, no BOT meeting is needed since it is in his contract. If contract buyout is needed, approval is necessary by the BOT action in their meeting.
Since BOT plans to meet on Monday, what is that telling you.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »
whether he stays or goes, it is not a decision that should be made in haste. be calm and think it through
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Do you really think BOT members work on Sundays?
IMO, If Wolf stays on as coach for next year, no BOT meeting is needed since it is in his contract. If contract buyout is needed, approval is necessary by the BOT action in their meeting.
Since BOT plans to meet on Monday, what is that telling you.

The BOT, seeing that a 7-4 YSU team was playing at NDSU, could have met preemptively last week and established a contingency plan.....or they could meet on a Sunday.  Are they prima donnas and cant work a few hours on a Sunday?

Why can MO St do it and not YSU?

And yes...the writing is on the wall for the Wolf....but that's a separate issue. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
Nation, I think you have given BOT too much credit. They are political appointees. They typically react to situations and strategic planning and critical thinking are not their strength. This group micromanaged and ran the university for the last 5 years. They practically drove the university to the ground. I hope Tressel is allowed to run the university as its president. Otherwise, he will walk away frustrated just like Randy Dunn.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:04:37 PM »
Nation, I think you have given BOT too much credit. They are political appointees. They typically react to situations and strategic planning and critical thinking are not their strength. This group micromanaged and ran the university for the last 5 years. They practically drove the university to the ground. I hope Tressel is allowed to run the university as its president. Otherwise, he will walk away frustrated just like Randy Dunn.

The thread on this board on a new HC was started Oct 12th.  We saw it coming.  There were no post-season invites for four years.  Were they blindsided by the slaughter in Fargo? 

I agree, they could have acted preemptively instead of reactively.  That is not being hasty, it is having foresight and vision.

I would have developed a short list by now and already had informal interviews with candidates.  I would have announced the termination of Wolford's contract Saturday night, and that formal on-campus interviews would start being scheduled in the near future.  I'd give the new HC the valuable time he needs to acclimate and recruit his staff and players....and even recruit the fans back to the Castle...

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »
I would have developed a short list by now and already had informal interviews with candidates.  I would have announced the termination of Wolford's contract Saturday night

Unless Wolford is staying.
a) will finally have his own team - J.B. still from the Heacock era.
b) no longer has to run a conservative offense for a freshman QB - he is/was after all a TRUE freshman
c) won't have to worry about crowd noise hurting defensive play calls
d) can recruit more JUCO players
e) a thru d only - TIC