Author Topic: 5 MVFC Schools In  (Read 25878 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: 5 MVFC Schools In
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
I know people will laugh, but I would love to hire back Heacock, as long as Montgomery is made Assistant HC and would stay on as OC.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »
I think Montgomery is a disappointment the last 2 yrs.  He rarely made adjustments  and for the love of Pete never could get plays in quick enough.  He cost Wells a RS yr in my opinion when we had nothing after Hess.  He is responsible for the recruitment of the QB's.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »
I know people will laugh, but I would love to hire back Heacock, as long as Montgomery is made Assistant HC and would stay on as OC.

and if Marion Barry wasn't dead, I'd love to have him as mayor of Ytown...
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
I would hire Montgomery tomorrow, but I do not think he would take it. It is not very often a guy of this caliber comes around.

If montgomery stays on this staff in ANY fashion, I will never attend another YSU football game.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »
Hopefully this will end the conspiracy theories about how the FCS hates the MVFC.  The selection committee not only took five MVFC teams, but Indiana State got in with only seven wins. YSU really blew its opportunities (twice!) and now it is time for accountability. No excuses.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 12:39:29 PM »
Hopefully this will end the conspiracy theories about how the FCS hates the MVFC.  The selection committee not only took five MVFC teams, but Indiana State got in with only seven wins. YSU really blew its opportunities (twice!) and now it is time for accountability. No excuses.

Strollo needs to earn his pay today and fire the staff.
Sometimes you have to make tough decisions. "When you're in command, command!!!"
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »
Amen Soup.

Offline WeAreYoungstown

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »
Indiana State's AD scheduled them into the playoffs with non-conference wins over a MAC school (ball state) and a automatic qualifier conference champ (liberty). Our AD scheduled us out with our weak nonconferende schedule.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »
The AD scheduled and the Coach coached them to victories.  One thing about Wolf he wasnt afraid to play up in competition... You cant take that away from him...  There is NO perfect formula other then winning...  We continue to change coaches and scheduling and end up with the same results from the same people.   I think Strollo better get advice from the President cause he could be on the hotseat if he fumbles another hire....
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:13:05 PM by goodnews »

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »
WOW....YSU on the list of the first 4 out.  UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!
What's unbelievable is that they weren't on the short list, and the first one out!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
The AD scheduled and the Coach coached them to victories.  One thing about Wolf he wasnt afraid to play up in competition... You cant take that away from him...  There is NO perfect formula other then winning...  We continue to change coaches and scheduling and end up with the same results from the same people.   I think Strollo better get advice from the President cause he could be on the hotseat if he fumbles another hire....

I recall a victory over Pitt and then falling apart..again! 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
Looking at the selections, an 8-4 YSU team would have been a lock.
One game short for the 4th straight year. If a coaching change is made, there will be absolutely no grace period. We have the talent to win RIGHT NOW.

Cannot do that Valley. No one would take the job. If we offer it to Montgomery, we could perhaps expect a bit more rapid of a turn-around; but even then we could not demand it.

Montgomery was a failure as a head coach at Miami of Ohio.  What makes you think he is head coaching material?   Against every good team we play he fails as an OC and has a track record of failure.  31 yards of offense end of the first half at NDSU.  He was calling option plays without a mobile QB and the NDSU line backers weren't even paying attention to the QB in that situation.   He ran the ball up the middle with 10 in the box multiple times.  This guy may have a big ego but his IQ is small.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:47:23 AM by penguinpower »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
Wish for nothing but the best for the MVFC in the playoffs. Proving time is now for all those schools. Hurts so much to know that if we won last week against Indiana State we would have been in.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »
Looking at the selections, an 8-4 YSU team would have been a lock.
One game short for the 4th straight year. If a coaching change is made, there will be absolutely no grace period. We have the talent to win RIGHT NOW.

Cannot do that Valley. No one would take the job. If we offer it to Montgomery, we could perhaps expect a bit more rapid of a turn-around; but even then we could not demand it.
This guy may have a big ego but his IQ is small.

Let's limit this discussion to his coaching abilities, not his personal qualities. He is actually a very nice person who is quite concerned about his players' well being outside of football. The play calling is the issue.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
Now is the time for MVFC teams to prove this is the best conference in FCS. If UNI and SDSU win, the MFVC is guaranteed at least 2 teams in the final 8.

If UNI, SDSU and Indy State all lose in the 1st round, MFVC could have ZERO teams in Final 8. Hard to see NDSU losing at home, but anything can happen in 1 game. And, they had a starting LB leave the game against YSU with a ruptured Achilles. The team that plays NDSU in 2nd round will have nothing to lose, as pretty much everyone except those involved with said team will predict NDSU to win by at least 7-10 points. At some point, the run will end for NDSU, just as it has for every other dominant team.

SDSU plays at Montana State, not an easy place to play for the visiting team.
Indy State plays at EKU, a team that also has a win over a team from the MAC(Miami) and played 2 FBS teams. Indy State likely cost themselves a home game with the loss to WIU.

UNI hosts SFA, and the only "quality" win for SFA is SE Louisiana(9-3/7-1). A game in which UNI ought to be favored, but MVFC teams have a history of "laying eggs" in the playoffs. So, this is far, far, far from a sure thing.

23-1 against FCS schools in OOC play will not mean much if a team other than NDSU does not advance to at least the 3rd round. May not even mean all that much if SDSU and Indy State win, then NDSU and ISU or UNI move on to 3rd round, only to have NDSU be the only winner in the 3rd round. Especially if Indy State loses in 1st round.

That would be 2-1 first round... 0-0 2nd round... 1-1 3rd round, with the 1 win from NDSU.

I could be wrong, but if I am reading the brackets correctly, there is a possibility for NDSU - ISU(r) in the NC Game. That would be great for the MVFC, and even better if ISU would beat NDSU in the Title game.