Author Topic: Accountability and YSU Athletics  (Read 12703 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Accountability and YSU Athletics
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."

---Albert Einstein

As a life-long Penguin fan and alumni, it pains me greatly to witness the current condition of YSU FB and MBB, and the pre-Bolden era of WBB.  I hope that the latest FB November meltdown leads the University to analyze everything regarding YSU athletics, and not just the HC of FB.  I hope that conference affiliation is looked at, especially for FB.  YSU is simply not an upper-level team in the MVFC, the travel is expensive, and the fans don't care about teams in the Great Plains region.  NDSU is an unpaid blood game...or worse...as they are a better team than many BIG teams and all MAC teams.  Maybe YSU should even consider a partial-scholarship conference.

The acceptance of mediocrity in MBB needs to stop.  It reflects poorly on the University.  Unless a surprising turn-around occurs this year, Slocum needs to leave.   

The Athletic Director must be held accountable for the immediate deterioration of YSU FB on his watch, from a championship and playoff caliber team to a solitary playoff appearance in 14 years. 

It is time for accountability and a new attitude regarding YSU athletics.  I hope President Tressel makes the necessary and bold decisions that are required to end this era of mediocrity.  As the Einstein quote suggests, the problems with YSU Athletics cannot and will not be solved by those who created them.

Go Penguins.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Accountability and YSU Athletics
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »
I totally agree that YSU needs to consider a new direction and leave the MVFC.  I say don't rule out the MAC. We would be bowling if we ended the season 7-5 in the MAC.  I also think moving in the right direction would be to fire Strollo and Wolford by Monday and put Jerry on notice.  Going to the MAC and hiring Pat Narduzzi would be a step forward for YSU.  One of the boldest moves YSU has made in years was hiring Tressel as President. My hope is YSU will continue to look outside the box and make Bold moves.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
I totally agree that YSU needs to consider a new direction and leave the MVFC.  I say don't rule out the MAC. We would be bowling if we ended the season 7-5 in the MAC.  I also think moving in the right direction would be to fire Strollo and Wolford by Monday and put Jerry on notice.  Going to the MAC and hiring Pat Narduzzi would be a step forward for YSU.  One of the boldest moves YSU has made in years was hiring Tressel as President. My hope is YSU will continue to look outside the box and make Bold moves.

Lol Narduzzi is not coming here and YSU is not going to the MAC because that costs $$$. Something YSU does not have. Just reality.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »
My guess: Pat Narduzzi and Luke Fickell aren't taking pay cuts of $500,000 or $600,000 to come to Youngstown if the job comes open.

Offline WeAreYoungstown

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:18:16 PM »
Well said Penguin Nation. Unless Strollo goes athletics will not improve. He is the common denominator here. He hired two coaches who have lost all control of their respective teams. Wolf has constantly recruited players who have no discipline. Slocum has players on his own team fighting each other, which got into the newspaper last year. Our major athletic programs have unfortunately cast a shadow on the university.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 06:32:07 PM »
Hannon just said on radio that Strollo is doing a great job and Slocum has turned the Men's BB team around LOL!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Narduzzi is cost-prohibitive.....but if you cannot afford a capable HC....then you are in a conference in which you cannot compete.

I've heard that Slocum is the best we can afford.  If that is true, than we can't afford D1 MBB.

Hannon needs a CAT scan.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline WeAreYoungstown

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
Hannon is a joke. He should stop being a yes man and start asking the hard questions.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:47:02 PM »
For years I was very critical of RS and I still feel that he was not ready to be AD when he was hired. He certainly made plenty of mistakes as he was learning on the job. But I do think that he has been doing a decent job of late. Facilities have been upgraded and several programs are very much on the rise and winning titles. Problem is that 2 of the high profile programs are the weakest.

Interested to see how he handles the FB and MBB issues. These will determine how history will look at him.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:13:36 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

kforbs126

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 06:47:56 PM »
Hannon is a joke. He should stop being a yes man and start asking the hard questions.

That'll never happen.  He's a lifelong small town broadcaster.  He's probably worried if he says the wrong thing he'll get fired.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 06:48:43 PM »
Bob is hamstrung. Has to play the role.  If you talk to him. He knows what needs to be done.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
Hannon can't even get the names of our players right when announcing the game. Guy messes up more than I've ever heard. Slocum is a joke, Wolford is a joke. Get them both out of here!!!!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »
Problem is that 2 of the high profile programs are the weakest.

Interested to see how he handles the FB and MBB issues. These will determine how history will look at him.

I agree completely. This is the year when we see how much backbone Strollo has with both teams.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »
I can't even fathom a scenario that Eric Wolford is around come Monday morning.  If he is, then I agree that Strollo should go as well. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »
It would be best for all parties if Wolford were allowed to resign.  However, would he then forfeit the money from the buyout clause in his contract?  Perhaps a gentlemen's agreement could be reached whereby Wolford resigns but the university promises to use some of the buyout money to supplement his income from his new assistant coaching job, assuming that new position pays less than his salary here. 

I just hope that Tressel, the trustees, and the big money gang from the loges share our alarm about the destiny of this program.