Poll

Who will win on Saturday?

YSU
9 (34.6%)
NDSU
17 (65.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: YSU @ NDSU  (Read 25295 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ NDSU
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »
Winnable game. This would be a good week to put two halfs together!
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »
@JoeScalzo1: I'm hearing YSU has a VERY good chance of making the playoffs if it beats North Dakota State on Saturday. (I know - easier said than done.)

Not a surprise.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 11:36:44 PM »
Although this is a difficult place to play, due to the noise levels, one nice thing is that weather and temperature will be completely controlled.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
Winnable game. This would be a good week to put two halfs together!
I agree with you Sean. Execution and ball security will be key. I got a chance to watch the Bison's 17-10 victory over Western Illinois and I like the way our lines match up with their's. Slowing down their DE Kyle Emanuel will be a challenge for us to say the least. Julius Childs will have to step up and have the game of his life..Playing in the Fargo dome will be a whole different animal for the youth on this team and I don't think anything can really prepare them for that..you just have to go in there and expect to Win and execute to near perfection and lay it all on the line !! That's all you can ask out of your player's - I'm looking forward to this match - up..It's going to be a good one !!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »
Is it just me or does it seem like after all the bit**ing and moaning we did this past week after the tough loss, after all the disappointment, running Wolf out of town, shooting this team down... That they are gonna come out and play the game of their lives and win in Fargo and get into the playoffs?!?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
Is it just me or does it seem like after all the bit**ing and moaning we did this past week after the tough loss, after all the disappointment, running Wolf out of town, shooting this team down... That they are gonna come out and play the game of their lives and win in Fargo and get into the playoffs?!?

Let's hope! Should lead to some good topics the next few weeks.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »

Yes, the same thing happened to Heacock and Tressel. People looking for more & they made it with little time left on their tenure ...at least as far as the fan base is concerned.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 11:14:09 AM »
I hope like my brother said in his Press Conference this week, "Were gonna lay it all on the line, and do everything we can". Im looking forward to tomorrow. I believe that the coaches will pull out everything that they have this week, and I know these players will as well and give it everything they have. By no means is this football game unwinnable. Are we playing a good football team? Yes. Are we playing the '85 Bears? No. Best thing we can all do is just watch, and see how it plays out. Wish I could have made the trip out there with my family, they land in Fargo within the hour. Lookin forward to this one. Hoping its not the last Guins game I see this season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
Interestingly....Heacock's last game was at NDSU......a game YSU won.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »
I think its put up or shut up time for us.  If u would of told u we had a chance for 8 wins and a possible shot at the playoffs I would have said u were nuts with what we lossed last year.  Time to start some new Penguin Pride on Saturday and get out of the shadow of the 90's.  We need to lay the past ro rest and start a new era of Penguin Football. The foundation is there time to focus and execute like I know they can and a win at Fargo will be something to build on.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »
At the end of last season when the team collapsed at home against south Dakota state I felt that Wolford was not the answer to get us to the playoffs.  I felt that losing Hess was going to be a big problem and that we would only win 4 or 5 games this year.  The conference improved over last year and every team got better except NDSU.  If you would have told me that we would win 7 games this year and that our defense would be in the top half of the league I would  have told you that you are crazy.   Win or lose we've nearly matched our win total from last year in a better league with a younger team and have dramatically improved on defense (albeit no where near what I would like to see on defense).  I think the coaches did a good job and I can only imagine what another year of recruiting and another muscle building off season will do to the current players.  As ysugo stated we have an excellent foundation and the cupboard is stocked with talent.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:35:05 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
well been up and worried since about 5:30a

ValleyTalk

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2014, 08:29:18 AM »
The future of our entire football program is at stake today. No turnovers, third and short as opposed to third and long, catch some breaks = keys to winning.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 09:40:58 AM »
I agree with Power, study the roster, and you'll see there is a lot of young talent there waiting to bust out!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
@JoeScalzo1: I'm hearing YSU has a VERY good chance of making the playoffs if it beats North Dakota State on Saturday. (I know - easier said than done.)

Not a surprise.

I have heard the same thing. My understanding is that it is not a win-and-you're-in situation, but that the NCAA had to contact contending schools to collect bids for possible first-round games. It does mean that the committee sees an 8-win YSU team as a playoff possibility.

Several teams sitting with YSU on the bubble suffered mild upsets last week and YSU would have gained a lot of ground with a win over Indiana St. A win against NDSU would make up for last week's loss, and YSU would not have lost any ground against the field except to contending MVFC teams.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I'm not counting on the win. The losses have not been due to talent but coaching, like last week's third quarter when YSU did not adjust the defense to counter the short pass, and the inability of our coaches to help the players adapt to changing situations has not changed. The athleticism of this team has never been a question.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:53:59 AM by Spiderlegs »