Poll

Who will win on Saturday?

YSU
9 (34.6%)
NDSU
17 (65.4%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: YSU @ NDSU  (Read 25305 times)

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ NDSU
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »
NDSU wins going away 42-13

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 08:26:25 PM »
The problem with QB will get worse. Is the staff gone and a new system coming with a new coach ? The QB has limited skills and except for a bunch of luck, has not imploded yet. The corner blitz almost broke him in half. The number of easy INTs dropped is staggering. Subtract out the stats for the weenie games. Look at just the MVFC. If recruiting ever picks up for a QB (it's been the worst position recruited by Wolf ), he'll get beat out and YSU will struggle to win games. Montgomery has camoflaged this well but the opponents are catching on fast. Time is on my side. Has limited accuracy and has been well protected. When that goes, the comedy will be apparent. Cheers

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »
First. Thank you for starting a new topic.
Second. F*** Massey and their ratings.
Third. Let's go Guins. Let the boys play and make it interesting, and cause some hell for the playoff selection committees.

(I'm hoping to see a different YSU team on Saturday. One that is going to put it all on the line, and do anything to win. Both coaches and staff).

I like your attitude!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
Almost forgot, will be playing in a barn this week.

It is real simple, win and we have a chance to get in, lose by 1 or 50 and we do not deserve to get in.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »
Paladin it must have really sucked to have been proven wrong by the kid during the course of this season. We took your advice after the Butler game and set back and watched to see if he could compete against M.V.C. defenses. The answer he gave us all was yes. With 3 conference wins and the conference leader in passing efficiency I will take that from a true freshman. You can spin this anyway you want..the kid has proved you wrong time and time again and will continue to do so!! Cheers

ValleyTalk

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »
Three years ago we went in there with our backs against the wall in a must win and got it done. Situation is far more magnified this year. Not only is a playoff berth on the line, but the jobs of our entire coaching staff are too.

If we go out there and EXECUTE our offense like we are capable, I think we keep this close. Ron Potesta on his show today made mention that we need to bring the kitchen sink into this one and I agree. Every play should be available, trick plays and all, and by God the last thing we need to do is go conservative. If we find something working, go with the up-tempo approach. If our young OL can find holes, then feed it to Ruiz and Webb to setup Wells.

I watched plenty of NDSU this year on ESPN3 and many of their games have been very close at half. They impose their will in the second half.

Two years it got away with the pick-six by Hess. Play turnover free ball, execute our offense, and hope for a break or two and this can be done. The real question is how hungry this team is for this.

I wish Wolford would sit this team down and have them watch portions of the most memorable games of the past two decades to see the urgency, passion, and effort it takes to make Youngstown proud. Georgia Southern in 91, Villanova in 97, and James Madison in 06 ring any bells!?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:24:37 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
I was confident that the Guins would win the four games they lost so I will take the blame and as long as I am on a roll, I will pick the Boofaloes this weekend - that should help.  Heck, I will even side with Paladin on whatever if that will bring a victory for YSU.

Now, could somebody explain why we only used the hurry up offense a few times?  It seemed to work keeping their defense from roaming and we moved the ball well.  Also tell me why in the world you run the clock down when you are behind.  Saw this the last few years too so there must be a logical reason - I just don't see it.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
I see this game going 2 ways:

Either we let it all hang out and play hard with nothing to lose or we get blown out.   I don't see it any other way.  If we beat NDSU we are in, but if we lose I don't see any way we get in (even though we are a top 24 team and deserve to be in the playoffs regardless of what anyone says).

The reason we belong is the fact that we are a top 24 team and we are better than several autobids.  This is the true problem with NCAA playoff selection.   At the end of the day you have to meet the criteria of wins and other such arbitrary BS.  We are at least a top 18 team and several other autobids don't deserve their spots.  It is the unfortunate reality and if they want to actually get the best teams they wouldn't give the autobids to garbage football teams from garbage conferences.   Nothing we can do about the current system except win, but the system doesn't pick the best teams regardless of the number of losses you have, especially in an excellent conference with a 23-1 out of conference record.  We are penalized by the strength of the conference.   Is that fair? Well in the past I would say if you want to be the best you have to beat the best and while that still holds true it is difficult to do it every week.  So based on the current system it is not fair.  There is also a bit of luck involved in winning every game especially in a conference as strong as ours. So the odds of winning 8 games in our conference is far more difficult than in others. 

I am not making excuses but you don't have to be as dominant,  you don't have to have as many season ending injuries,  and you don't have to play every game under the pressure we have to play just to get a shot at the championship rounds if we were in a different conference based on the current rules.  Ending the season with 3 losses nothing when games are close and you are playing the best teams in the FCS nation week in and we out.  Think about it..... they are hesitant to take TCU and Baylor in the FBS due to SOS but that doesn't apply in the FCS with the SRS rating system and there isn't enough national attention to make it right so it will continue.   

We have no blowout losses unlike Fordham and several others.  We pass the eye test with regard to athletes and we can play some excellent ball especially matched against teams outside of the MVFC and other teams within.  We've shown our capability and we can beat NDSU.  Our schedule is back loaded. Which team will show up?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:02:08 PM by penguinpower »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 03:17:09 AM »
As far as making the playoffs in the MVFC, the reality is YSU has missed the playoffs under Wolford because of failure to win all the games against non playoff teams and having a record of 10-10 at home in the MVFC. In 2011, it was a loss to last place Missouri State at home in the final game that kept YSU out of the playoffs. YSU also lost at home that year to SDSU(5-6/4-4)

In 2012, it was 4 losses in a row in October, including a 38-21 loss at home against SIU(6-5/5-3)

In 2013, YSU lost the final 3 games, 2 of which were at home. They lost to a UNI team that was depleted by injuries and on a 5 game losing streak, and had a record of 4-5/0-5. UNI finished 7-5/3-5. YSU then lost back-to-back games at home to NDSU and SDSU.

This season, YSU goes into the last game of the year facing a win or the season is over scenario, just like last year and 2011. The difference being YSU is playing at the #4 ranked team in FCS, the 3 time defending FCS Champions and a team with a 19 game home winning streak. And, the reason YSU is in this position is home losses to WIU(4-7/2-5) and Indy State(7-4/4-3). YSU had an opportunity last week to move to 8-3/5-2, and give themselves the tie-breaker over both SDSU and Indy State. Things are shaping up in a way that it looks like the MVFC will get at least 4 teams in the playoffs. YSU had an opportunity to earn at worst that 4th spot last week, but lost at home. YSU went 2-2 at home this year in the MVFC. They went 2-2 at home last year in the MVFC. Went 3-1 at home in 2012, 2-2 in 2011 and 1-3 in 2010. That is 10-10 at home in the MFVC. In quality leagues, it is very important to win at home.

YSU has an opportunity this week to earn their way into the playoffs. In spite of the loss to WIU and last week to Indy State, win this week at NDSU and YSU will get a bid to the playoffs. Lose, and the season is over. Yes, beating the #4 team at home will be a tough task. But, NDSU is the type of team YSU will face in the 2nd round if they make the playoffs and win their first round game. And, each of the past 2 weeks, YSU played against playoff caliber teams and lost. It is hard to be considered a playoff team if having an 0-3 record against the 3 playoff teams YSU played in the regular season. 1-3 if SDSU makes it to the playoffs, and YSU loses to NDSU. Then, on top of that, add a HOME loss to a bad WIU team.

The playoffs start Saturday for YSU. Win this week, and YSU will earn a playoff spot, and likely play at home in the 1st round. YSU Athletic Dept will put in a high enough bid to host a home game if they make it into the playoffs.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 06:54:24 AM »
Let's Talk,

My point is not about the technicalities of why we didn't reach the playoffs in past years or how we are missing the trajectory this year once again.   My point is that if the FCS really wants the top 24 teams to compete in the playoffs, then you can't leave us out.  That is all I'm saying.   It doesn't matter if you've lost the last 3 games because they've taken teams that have lost the last 3 games.  It doesn't matter if you don't have 7 division 1 wins, they've taken teams with less than 7 division 1 wins.  These are facts. Although they would like you to believe they have hard rules around the selection process they don't because the proof lies in how they arbitrarily apply the rules to meet the agenda of the committee.   You don't take a 6 win Sam Houston State last year if you require 7 division 1 wins but they did.   A few years ago they took a team that lost 3 in a row to end the season too.  I wrote a letter to every member of the committee and let them know that I observed them breaking the rules they applied to us in the past.

My point is that if the NCAA truly wants the top 24 teams they can't leave us out.  They will appease others (and they will) as they have so many time before in the past.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:11:37 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 07:17:45 AM »
I really, really want to say that we are going to win.... But I honestly just can't see it. I hope for the best tho!

GO GUINS

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 09:55:52 AM »
If YSU does go, we are on target to play JMU & ILS once again ...LOL. I do not see any scenario with a home game, as ILS and JMU have made it known they are bidding. If a third OVC team, or Samford makes the post-season ...we could host.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »
Wells has struggled the last 6 quarters.  If he gets off to a slow start on Saturday, will we see Nania or Davis?

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
This NDSU is not the same team that they have been the previous 3 years.
Defense is definitely not as strong as they have been with players continuously not being where they need to be.
Offense is good, but Crockett is not the player he was even last year, their Oline is not the same and they can not finish as well in the Red Zone (just look at how many FG attempts their kicker has).

Watch for a close game with YSU upsetting NDSU on the road and getting a playoff bid.
 8) 8) 8)

Offline TennBison

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
 True NDSU is not the team they were last year, but then again, no team anywhere is, but our record is just as good as it was in 2011 and 2012.
 The Bison defense is a hair away from being as good as it was last year. Of course players get caught out of position, how do you think any opponent scores on anyone most of the time, it happens to the best of them even in the NFL.
 And FYI, Crockett is doing better this year than last and has added the element of being able to catch the ball on third down and can line up as a wide receiver for a added twist.

To the other posters, don't blame the selection committee because of not getting in the last few years or this year if you don't make it. It's not their fault your team was on the bubble and got left out for going belly up in the last month of the last few seasons. Your coach could arguably not be the guy for your team and could be on his way out after this season. It's not your players fault that your team has stumbled in the last month in recent seasons.
 I know YSU will be fighting for their playoff lives and will give NDSU nothing but their best and I think it will be a good game. NDSU players are aware that a probable #1-2 seed in the playoffs could/should be ours with a win and they will be fired up to win to get home field guarantee throughout the playoffs.
 If any of you make the trip for the game, be safe, snow is possible Fri -Sat.