Author Topic: Thoughts and Feelings. Tressels morning tweet.  (Read 12191 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Thoughts and Feelings. Tressels morning tweet.
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
I have channeled my inner emotions and feelings all year because I though sh** would change. The arrogance and pompous attitude of Coach Wolford and Montgomery are unbearable. The Scalzo article was on point. Had a great time coming up to the YO yesterday and seeing my brother and the boys play, and spending time with all of them. Wolford has done very well with recruiting, but I just do not get what the hell happens on saturdays... A lot of turmoil I sensed yesterday, and a lot of kids unhappy. It is a shame the way this has all played out.. Very interesting tweet from Jim Tressel this morning, "He who has never learned to obey cannot be a good commander".. Very interesting, and very fitting today. Im extremely thankful for the career Christian had a Youngstown.. Over 100 receptions, Jerry Rice Award Finalist, Team Captain, impressive resume.. Christian was on the field for 7 plays yesterday, said part about it though is that he just wants to win. A player said it to me last night, "Christian went from absolute playmaker and the man, to barely on the field, and its f***ed up because he is the ultimate team player, and works his ass off to do anything he is asked to do". Im very happy the weather was clear yesterday, but slightly confused as to why Eric Wolford didn't have anything to say to any of the families as they walked their players out for the Pregame Senior recognition.  These players have done everything they are asked from him. I pray and hope we win in Fargo, but my confidence in the coaching staff, on the Offensive side, is just not there. Great group of players. Coach Wolford gave my brother a fantastic opportunity, and I thank him very much for allowing my brother to become a big part in the Youngstown Family, but there are times he makes me just scratch my head. I hope we pull it out next week and take down the Bison again, but we will just have to wait and see.  fb I try to see the positives and look at everything in the most positive way, but I'm struggling today.. As always though, let's go GUINS! Hoping for a W next week.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts and Feelings. Tressels morning tweet.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »
Sean, I think I'll talk on behalf of this forum.  You've brought a different view of this football team to the board this season.  And WE greatly appreciate your contributions.  I was just wondering this morning about how the players "actually" feel about playing for this coaching staff.  And I get it, they love this program and the coaching staff.  I believe any person who was an athlete in their life felt that way.  Even when they played for a coach or coaches who weren't worthy of that type of love.  But, I've watched every pre-/post-game interview this season and something just is not right.  And after listening to Wolford's this morning, I realized something that I knew 5 years ago.  He's not head coaching material at this point in his life.  Scalzo made a very telling statement in his article in the Vindicator.  IF you haven't read it, please do.  You'll know what I'm talking about.  I will never say any of these kids QUIT on him, because I don't think they did.  But, they did what they were told to do....EXACTLY what they were told to do.  I believe that says a lot!!!

I hope Christian's future is as bright as I would think it is going to be.  He is always going to be one of my favorite players in YSU history.  Please pass on my THANK YOU and good luck in the future to him.  He is why the few YSU fans who show up, actually show up.

Offline ohiofootball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »
Coaches can coach and prepare the players as much as possible, players can work hard in the off season and do "everything that is asked of them" but it all comes down to what happens on the field during those 60 minutes. The coaches didn't fumble the ball 3 times yesterday...2 in the red zone. The blame all falls on the coaches and that is part of the profession but think about how different that game would have been if YSU didn't turn it over. If Hess' pass to Cook was complete on 3rd down several years ago, they would have made the playoffs but it went off of his fingertips. If D'Alesio catches the interception against Northern Iowa last year they are in the playoffs.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
SoupCity thank you very much for that post, means a lot to my family how accepting Youngstown was to my brother. I didn't know much about Youngstown before he came, but after 4 years and a lot of research done, I feel that he meets the mold, and Youngstown State was a perfect fit.

As for ohiofootball, I in no way am blaming just the coaching staff for the loss yesterday, football is a team sport, it is the ultimate team sport, when you win, you win as a team, and when you lose you lose as a team. Something is just not right up there right now, not sure what it is.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »
In the 5 years this head coach was at the helm he has turned his back on his upperclassmen countless times.  He always said if they are equal I will play the underclassmen and he sure did.  The team never got better and in theory he probably alienated himeself from the team and the very guys that came to practice for 4 or 5 years.  Please give me one successful coach that wold do this time and time again.  I live on the west coast and watch games on the gamecast but if Christian ONLY played 7 downs he is just another player he turned his back on in the END.  Its fitting that the fans turned their backs on the coach too and rightfully so.....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »
I have said this all season. There should never be a 3rd-down when Christian is not on the field. That is the level of confidence that I have in the guy. Yesterday, clearly Barassa was not having a good day ...and I love the guy ...but he was off. Christian and he should have switched out. For that matter, on senior day, they both should have played all game.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »
I have said this all season. There should never be a 3rd-down when Christian is not on the field. That is the level of confidence that I have in the guy. Yesterday, clearly Barassa was not having a good day ...and I love the guy ...but he was off. Christian and he should have switched out. For that matter, on senior day, they both should have played all game.

Jelani's family were all up from Miami to watch him play too. He's a great kid. All of the throws to him were off by Hunter. Sad...

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »
Yeah I would have liked to have seen Christian and Jelanni both have a grab. Both our families had a large tutnout yesterday.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
I sat next to Cejudo's family ...they were really nice as well. Quality people.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
ohiofootball.....spot on....2 very make-able plays the last 2 years gets them into the playoffs....

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
Not saying that had nothing to do with not advancing. Team sport, team effort, coaches included. Kids will make mistakes. NFL players make mistakes. My issue has nothing to do with any of that. My issue is your misuse and wasting of talent. You cannot depend week in and week out on the same guy or same two guys to make every play, that's not fair to him or the team. You cannot be vanilla every week with your offense, or dissapear 2 quarters every game. When you watch other games on weekends tell me what you see offensively both NFL and FBS. What are you seeing that is successful on the offensive side of the ball? The game has changed. What would Shane have done if he didn't have a Martin or Jody to bail him out this season. You can blame the kids for only so much. But if your going to blame us not making the playoffs the past couple years because of dropped pick, or a missed field goal your wrong and not looking at the big picture. In all honesty We have the talent, but it seems to me that the team has not maybe been mentally prepared for the gruesome November stretch every season, whether or not that's the coaches fault or players fault I'm not sure. But I can say this, everyone of those kids on that team cares, because if they did not they wouldn't have played their ass off in the fourth Sunday and come back and send it to OT the way they did. It's tough I think we are sll upset in the fact that we have kept ourselves out of the playoffs these past couple years.

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
There are some quality guys here year in and year out.  I love getting to meet their families and see the quality young men that have been brought up and become Youngstown Men.  As mentioned...it's one of the reasons why we come to these games, to support great kids and great families and be a part of the Penguin family together.  Thank you Sean (and Christian, Joey C. and Nate A. ...and so many others that i have met) of being apart of this family for the last several years.  Sean...I hope that your presence on this forum and at a game or two each season can continue.

Separately, it is a team game, coaches, players, and fans alike consist of this team.  I believe Coach Jim Tressel has made this comment back when he was coaching, and I will try to paraphase the best i can:
You can't lay blame on a kid for messing up on one play.  One missed INT.  One missed reception.  One fumble.  It shouldn't come down to one play.  The game (and season) shouldn't come down to one play.  We should have win the game(s) by three touchdowns and not had to worry about "one play".

Z

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
Thank you very much. I will stay active in this forum and will attend games still! That Tressel quote is very accurate my friend.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
Been saying this since the first game that Christian did not have a catch (Michigan State last year).... If YSU wants to win games then CB needs to be somewhat of a factor in the passing game, not only back there fielding punts. The coaches do not always recognize talent sometimes and are too caught up with the newest thing sometimes that works out, but a lot of time in college football that is not the case.
These fans do not realize what they are going to be missing out on with the Seniors that are leaving. Every single one is an impact player.
With a loss expect an entire new coaching staff before YSU goes on Winter Break.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 10:13:05 AM »
Been saying this since the first game that Christian did not have a catch (Michigan State last year).... If YSU wants to win games then CB needs to be somewhat of a factor in the passing game, not only back there fielding punts. The coaches do not always recognize talent sometimes and are too caught up with the newest thing sometimes that works out, but a lot of time in college football that is not the case.
These fans do not realize what they are going to be missing out on with the Seniors that are leaving. Every single one is an impact player.
With a loss expect an entire new coaching staff before YSU goes on Winter Break.

As I watched the enter the field, I thought the same thing mvfc penguin ...we have serious player losses this year.

Childs
Bryan
2 of the 3 Williams'
Berassa
Cejudo
Disher
Brown (Octavius)
Page
Adams
Gibbs

Sorry I think I am missing a couple. What an impact group this was.