Author Topic: Another rough November for Wolford (from this morning's Vindicator)  (Read 25368 times)

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
1. In early August, at Youngstown State's media day, someone came up to me and said, "You know, YSU could have saved a lot of money by keeping the last guy. Seem to be getting the same results."

Thing is, they're not.

Jon Heacock went 32-24 overall and 18-17 in the Gateway Conference in his first five years, sharing the conference title in the fifth year. The following year, YSU won the league title outright and advanced to the national semifinals.

Through five years, Eric Wolford is 31-25 and 18-21 in the Missouri Valley.

2. You can make all sorts of arguments about who had it easier, Heacock or Wolford.

Heacock took over a program that was two years removed from a national championship game appearance. The Gateway/MVFC also wasn't as strong as it is now, although it was still pretty good.

But Heacock was also given a much smaller budget for assistant coaches and recruiting.

Wolford took over a team that hadn't been to the playoffs in four years but got an upgraded budget and several facility upgrades, including the locker room, coaches offices, meeting rooms and an indoor facility. (YSU also replaced the turf and is planning to install a new scoreboard.)

Regardless, the expectations were the same for both men — and Wolford hasn't met them. And while it's one thing to live up to Jim Tressel's standard — no one expects that — it's another to live up to Jon Heacock's.

Through five years, he hasn't.

3. Which brings us to Saturday.

For the third time in four years, YSU had a chance to earn a playoff berth by winning its home finale. For the third time in four years, the Penguins lost.

In 2011, they blew a 17-point halftime lead to Missouri State, which was tied for last in the conference at the time.

In 2013, they got blown out by South Dakota State in a blizzard to finish the season on a three-game losing streak.

On Saturday, they lost in overtime to a team that went 1-11 last season, a team that has zero tradition, the league's worst facilities and a budget built around its men's basketball program.

If Saturday's game was a referendum on the Wolford era — and I think it was — then something needs to change.

4. After the game, I wrote on Twitter that we should reserve judgment on this season (and the coaching staff) until after next week's game.

I stand by that. But it's hard to see how the Penguins will manage to beat three-time national champions North Dakota State in Fargo. And even if they do, they're still on the bubble since their non-conference wins aren't going to help.

5. YSU has another problem that goes beyond the big-game losses: The fans really don't like Wolford.

When I covered this year's Hubbard-Poland football game, a Poland fan cornered me as I was leaving the press box and said, "Is Wolford as big of an [expletive] as he seems?"

"No," I said. "He's actually great with the media."

I get these kinds of questions far too often.

And, honestly, Wolford actually hasn't been quite as good with the media lately. I haven't been allowed to attend practices for weeks, which just results in less coverage from our newspaper. (I haven't written fewer stories over that stretch, just fewer stories about YSU football.) And in some of our Tuesday press conferences (i.e. the only time we get access to him and players leading up to the game), he has sometimes come across like a man who'd rather be anywhere else, which wasn't the case in his first four years.

But those are minor issues. His problem isn't with the media. It's with the public.

6. Soon after Saturday's loss, I got an email from an ex-player who said he attends YSU sporting events year-round, but that he'll never go to another football game as long as Wolford is the coach. He said watching Wolford's press conferences make him "ill" and said the No. 1 reason his wife wouldn't attend Saturday's game was because she can't stand Wolford.

This was not an isolated email. There are plenty of people who wanted Heacock replaced five years ago, but who really liked him as a person. Wolford doesn't have that kind of support.

7. The two biggest complaints I hear about Wolford are

A. He's arrogant.

B. He blames his players, rather than himself.

The first one doesn't bother me. What some call arrogant, someone else might call confident. And you need confidence in this job.

But the second criticism is fair, and he did it again after Saturday's game. When asked about Hunter Wells' interception on the first play of overtime, Wolford said it was a run-pass option and Wells made a mistake by choosing to pass instead of handing it off.

Now. Even if that's true, WELLS IS A TRUE FRESHMAN QUARTERBACK! Why throw him under the bus? And if you're not sure he'll make the right decision in that spot, don't give him the option.

What Wolford should have said was, "That loss was on me. We needed to win today and we didn't get it done. It's my fault."

Even if he didn't believe it, he should have said it.

8. As I reported earlier this year, Wolford's buyout is for $150,000 if YSU goes 7-5. If the Penguins make the playoffs, it's for the full amount ($263,894).

But here's the catch: YSU's buyout would be offset by whatever Wolford makes as an assistant coach next season, assuming he doesn't decide to sit out the season. (That strikes me as very unlikely.)

Assuming he gets a job as an offensive line coach at a major program — which strikes me as likely — YSU probably won't owe much of anything.

9. Bottom line: I don't hire or fire coaches. That's a decision made by the two guys who signed his contract: athletic director Ron Strollo and Tressel, who is YSU's president.

But given the outrage from the fans — and it's very real, as my Twitter account can attest — they might be forced to make a change if YSU loses next week.

10. One more thing: Tressel has a LOT of friends in the coaching community. If Wolford doesn't return, it'll be interesting to see who's interested.
- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/weblogs/penguin-insider/2014/nov/16/another-rough-november-wolford/#sthash.GSgXLeTD.dpuf

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Another rough November for Wolford (from this morning's Vindicator)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 07:34:13 AM »
So who's willing to question Scalzo's writing ability now?  Sorry folks, count me as one of the people who appreciate the stuff he writes.  Great job, Joe!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »
So who's willing to question Scalzo's writing ability now?  Sorry folks, count me as one of the people who appreciate the stuff he writes.  Great job, Joe!
Scalzo hit the nail on the head. As most of you know, I have rarely criticized Eric Wolford because quite frankly I just want to win and we've been on the cusp now for 4 straight years. However, the results speak for themselves. I think he has done a great job recruiting, but when it comes to coaching on game-day, he is unfortunately not getting it done. Unless the stars align next week, I fully expect Wolford to be gone.

It is very unfortunate, but the dwindling crowd sizes speak volumes to the patience the fan base has with this man.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:43:50 AM »
Scalzo hit the nail on the head. As most of you know, I have rarely criticized Eric Wolford because quite frankly I just want to win and we've been on the cusp now for 4 straight years. However, the results speak for themselves. I think he has done a great job recruiting, but when it comes to coaching on game-day, he is unfortunately not getting it done. Unless the stars align next week, I fully expect Wolford to be gone.

It is very unfortunate, but the dwindling crowd sizes speak volumes to the patience the fan base has with this man.

Valley, I couldn't have said it any better than that.  I have criticized Wolford quite a bit over his tenure (and rather harshly at times), for those same reasons you have listed.  It is sad and unfortunate, but at this point a necessity that he is let go as soon as next Sunday morning.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:17:26 AM »
NO BUTTS IN THE SEATS SPEAKS FOR ITSELF

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:47:53 AM »
Its sad we so close to being a very good team.  Great posts on this thread! :)
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 10:49:38 AM »
I really believed that this was the year we turned it around, and didn't suffer in November.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
Imagine if we had UNI November 1 instead of USD.  7-5 could have become 6-6.

I do think that the 2014 YSU FB team is better than the 2013 team, but the level of the MVFC has risen more steeply than that of YSU.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »
I agree that this team was more talented and better all around then the previous few years.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
This is another brilliant article from Scalzo.  He accurately summarized the feelings some of us have felt for a long time.  His last point can not be emphasized enough.  Tressel's contacts within the coaching profession are extensive.  He is nearly universally admired by his peers.  Should he send out an internal plea for help in identifying young, capable, and ambitious coaches, we should have no shortage of strong candidates.

Who would have believed that Jim Tressel, the very man who made YSU football nationally prominent and the focal point of civic pride, would now be required to attempt to resurrect these smoldering ruins that have been completely abandoned by the community.  Sometimes Fate has a unique sense of humor.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:20:29 PM by Wick250 »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »
smoldering ruins
I would not describe the state of YSU Football in smoldering ruins. Look to Springfield, MO to a program in smoldering ruins. Whoever takes over this program has the talent level to make a serious run in the coming years. I do not think talent is the issue, it will come down to who can coach this talent to win the Valley and win a title.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 09:38:05 AM »
"November is for contenders"-Jim Tressel.  Let's see what we get on Saturday. It could shake things up beating NDSU, but would still need some help. Go Guins!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »
Love Scalzo's writing.... Enough is enough. Wolf needs to go. Hire somebody who has no Youngstown ties and has never even heard of Youngstown. Change the culture completely. This team is not bare of talent!

Offline ohiofootball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
The only problem with hiring someone without any Youngstown connections or even someone that has never heard of Youngstown (as mentioned in another post) is that new coach is going to have a hard time understanding why you fired a coach that had 4 straight winning seasons. If they don't understand the Youngstown tradition then they are not going to understand that playoffs are expected here. There are a lot of coaches that are not going to leave their current position (probably making more money than YSU can pay) knowing they will get fired even if they win.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 11:58:04 AM »
The only problem with hiring someone without any Youngstown connections or even someone that has never heard of Youngstown (as mentioned in another post) is that new coach is going to have a hard time understanding why you fired a coach that had 4 straight winning seasons. If they don't understand the Youngstown tradition then they are not going to understand that playoffs are expected here. There are a lot of coaches that are not going to leave their current position (probably making more money than YSU can pay) knowing they will get fired even if they win.

What? Are you kidding me?  3 straight years with November meltdowns, do you not pay attention??  Even if there was no tradition at YSU, when you need 1 win in 3 tries to end the season to make the playoffs and you fail to do that over and over again.  You're going to get fired.....anywhere you are at.  That's a no-brainer!