Poll

Who wins?

Indiana State
4 (17.4%)
Youngstown State
19 (82.6%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Home Finale: Indiana State (6-4) at Youngstown State (7-3)  (Read 24544 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Home Finale: Indiana State (6-4) at Youngstown State (7-3)
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Check out their highlights vs. South Dakota State. It seems as though SDSU was able to get pressure on Perish for much of the night and that the Sycamores are susceptible to the big play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9erQu8v_qLo

Perish threw it up there 48 times, so our secondary better play some sound football. I don't view them as much of a rushing threat, so I would think we will be taking some chances dialing up blitz packages early and often.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Does margin of victory matter to the selection committee?  I heard both that it does, and also that it does not.

That is because it is not supposed to, but if two teams have a win against the same teams ...it is important. IN other words win HUGE this weekend and win at any amount the following weekend.

No more of this "we can go 2-1 or 1-2" BS. We MUST go 2-0  over the last two weekends of the regular season & we MUST win 'going away' against ISU ...this is a possible play-off team, that is rapidly moving to the "not a play-off team" category. We already gave ILS and SDSU a sense of legitimacy ...let's not do it again.

- They have a win over Ball State. Don't bother with the "it's only the MAC" crap. It is an FBS win (and a bowl winning team less than a year ago), something we do not have.

-They have a win over Liberty .. a team that will make the play-off field. I does not matter if they deserve it or not ...save it. In the eyes of the committee, this is a banner win.

- They beat UNI ...a win of wins this year. Something that we cannot do, as we do not play UNI this year.

- They close the season out against WIU, so we do not know how that will turn out.

In short, their resume blows our away. You can talk all you want, you can disagree until he cows come home, but I know exactly how the committee thinks. If we just barley win ...ISU is out of the post-season ...what does a barely-win say for YSU? Nothing. We would be better off having ISU be 8-0 right now, as it would be the banner win we need. We are hanging everything on our SDSU win ...which is not going to go that far; especially considering they beat-up on ISU last weekend.

I said it before ...go 2-0 over the last two weeks, come up with the cash and you have home field for the first-round ...should be even longer. Lose either game and we really should not be in the post-season.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:44:47 AM by IAA Fan »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 11:53:11 AM »
Does margin of victory matter to the selection committee?  I heard both that it does, and also that it does not.
I said it before ...go 2-0 over the last two weeks, come up with the cash and you have home field for the first-round ...should be even longer. Lose either game and we really should not be in the post-season.
I disagree, as our 8-4 resume would certainly be stronger than most others out there. We would have 4 wins over ranked teams when we faced them and our conference schedule is much tougher than anyone elses.

Here are some fellow bubble teams:
-SHSU is a joke with a loss to a D2 school. They lost by 26 to a D2 school! They have one ranked win all year as well.
-Northern Arizona lost to the worst team in the Valley in South Dakota at home! Goes to show how strong our conference is compared to the Big Sky. Yes, they have a nice win over Eastern Washington, but let us not forget they could not beat the worst team in the Valley.
-JMU's non-conference tilt isn't any stronger than ours and I am not so sure they have much of a signature win this year. A loss to Richmond this weekend knocks them out.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »
IMO...two wins for YSU = seed and a bye.   One win, preferably over ISUb = at large w/ a probable home game.  Scalzo wrote a piece saying one win = in.

Re: JMU...my wife is an alum so I follow them.  I hope they make it.  Their OT loss to DE forces them into a must win at Richmond...they'll crush Elon the following week. 

I think the CAA gets three in (NH, Villanova, and the winner of JMU v. Richmond)...and maybe four if DE beats both NH and Villanova (not likely).
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 02:02:25 PM »
Saturday is time for a convincing win.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »
In conference games only, Indiana State is last in rushing at only 111 yards per game.  They will throw on almost every play, yet they are exactly tied with us in passing yards per game (221.8.)  Needless to say, they are only seventh in passing efficiency while we lead the conference in that category.  There are other favorable statistical indicators for this game, but that was almost meaningless against South Dakota.

Northern Arizona and Sam Houston could be big problems not because they would be selected for at large berths but rather because they could actually win their conferences.  In fact, Northern Arizona will get the Big Sky autobid if they defeat the remaining two stiffs on their schedule.  It is less likely, but Sam Houston could also win the autobid in the Southland. 

By the way, those idiots at TSN dropped NDSU to fourth in their poll, behind Coastal Carolina (Big South) and Jacksonville State (OVC.)  Why do I think that every team in our conference would beg to be placed in the same bracket with those two powers.

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »
IMO...two wins for YSU = seed and a bye.   One win, preferably over ISUb = at large w/ a probable home game.  Scalzo wrote a piece saying one win = in.

Re: JMU...my wife is an alum so I follow them.  I hope they make it.  Their OT loss to DE forces them into a must win at Richmond...they'll crush Elon the following week. 

I think the CAA gets three in (NH, Villanova, and the winner of JMU v. Richmond)...and maybe four if DE beats both NH and Villanova (not likely).

Scalzo is wrong more often than he is right when he makes these predictions. I wish he would keep his mouth shut. Like when he wrote a couple years ago that YSU fans shouldn't attend games because YSU was out of the playoff race.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »

Scalzo is wrong more often than he is right when he makes these predictions. I wish he would keep his mouth shut. Like when he wrote a couple years ago that YSU fans shouldn't attend games because YSU was out of the playoff race.

That's not true. If you're even going to try to throw that out there, you should come with proof. The Vindicator is not a PR arm for YSU, but we're not in the business of telling fans not to go to games. That makes no sense. More fans at the games means more interest in the team. More interest in the team means more readers and more clicks on our website. It would be silly for any member of the media to advise fans to stay home. It doesn't happen.

It must be great to be able to hide behind an anonymous screen name and post whatever you want, even when you know it's completely false.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »

I think Scalzo has come a long way and does a great job. Love reading his stuff now

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 10:47:30 PM »
Not only do we need to win this game but I believe we need to BLOW this team away. It's time for a game like this for a change. Time for Montgomery to open up the playbook to Wells and let it rip. Time to Mr. Bryant to blitz and not sit there 10 yards off the WR's and let every pass go completed and hope to tackled them (Which we struggle with)

YSU 38
ISU 17

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
You would think the athletic department would be hyping this weekend up a little bit more but that's too much to expect I guess. We shall see as the week goes on.....

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 09:48:43 AM »
This is a thread about the upcoming game ...the biggest of the season.

1. Stick to the topic or start your own thread.
2. DO NOT attack other posters ...this is not high school.
3. If you want to go to the non-sports section of the board and discuss local reporting ...feel free. That is the only place it belongs on this board. IN addition, note the the "Penguin Insider" is not news ...it is blog. Scalzo can say what he wants and it is not news. Yes I live in Buckeye country and they have the luxury a of several beat writers and bloggers. The dispatch has more money that the Vindy. If you are willing to do the Vindy blog ...then send them a resume, along with your portfolio.

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Got it!

So just so we're clear we can attack the football coaches, basketball coaches, Athletes, Athletic Director and other admin staff. But we must stay away from reporters and message board members? Are we on the same page here?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »
It's getting next to impossible to make any predictions in this conference because it's that good. Ranked ahead of 4 fbs conferences- South Dakota would probably  be able to beat the majority of the 2014 playoff teams. We could very easily be 10-0 but at the same token it feels good to be 4-2 in conference play. I think quarterback Mike Perish of INS will be the X factor on Saturday. He reminds me alot of Norwell from WIU who had a big game against us because of our blowing coverages. Perish only has 3 picks on the year and puts the ball up between 35-40 times a game with a completion rate over 60%. If we can get good pressure on him, force him into a few turnovers and keep him around a 50% completion  rate and Hunter Wells has a good game without many mistakes I think we win a close one.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
Here is a story Cleveland:

I was in high school (I went to Canfield in the late 70's & early 80's if any of you know the faculty). I had a teacher discussing the differences between the North and South during the US civil war. The teacher "bit off more than he could chew" and began to discuss everything from political systems to France vs. England. Well, I became fed up with some of his obviously wrong statements and told him the way that I though it was.

The teacher could have laughed at the 13-year old kid. However, I addressed the teacher with all the respect that he deserved. After the class, he and I went to another teacher (a noted expert in the subject) and had a nice discussion where I learned more. I even got to eat in the teachers lounge and had a pop (something students could not drink at the time, so it was a big deal to me).

Moral: dispute the post ...not the poster. It really does not matter who posted something ...what does matter is that if you know something different ...tell us, so we all know. If the coach made poor adjustments ..give an example of what you would have done differently on a given play. I have never been a huge Wolf fan, but he has forgotten more about coaching than I could ever know. He is the leader of my team and deserves all of the respect of his position.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:14:19 AM by IAA Fan »