Author Topic: Guins vs. ILS In game thread  (Read 66725 times)

Offline ohiofootball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Guins vs. ILS In game thread
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »
Everybody needs to take a deep breath and relax...Nobody is more upset than those 100 players and coaches in the YSU locker room. They will find a way to regroup and go out and win next Saturday against Indy St. As long as NDSU beats Northern Iowa today and YSU takes care of business next weekend, they will be in 3rd place and tied with SDSU but beat them so that should get them in. Those players believe in each other whether or not you believe in them and they will rebound. GO GUINS!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »
Everybody needs to take a deep breath and relax...Nobody is more upset than those 100 players and coaches in the YSU locker room. They will find a way to regroup and go out and win next Saturday against Indy St. As long as NDSU beats Northern Iowa today and YSU takes care of business next weekend, they will be in 3rd place and tied with SDSU but beat them so that should get them in. Those players believe in each other whether or not you believe in them and they will rebound. GO GUINS!

We will come out and beat that Indiana State team! Tough one for our boys today..
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
M24 lot ?

If M24 is the upper parking lot than yes! We park right inside the bottom of the upper lot where the Players enter when they parade through the tailgate lot.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »
2nd half was like the first half of SDU.  Why can't we play 4 quarters of sound football?  I say that is coaching!!!  Football is a game that you have to be constantly up the kids a**es!!  You can't let them take a break!!  You have to be encouraging, yelling, grabbing, in their face coaching because  most of them lose focus...that is human in a 4 hour game...kids lose focus...you as the coach have to be constantly up their a** you can't take a break...and we did today.  I think the coaches go into the halftime and take a break...that is when you should be in their face...5 minutes before kickoff in the locker room at halftime should be a melee of testosterone and wanting to kill people... we come out like they smoked a couple of bowls and blunts and ate a bowl of pasta...we never make a statement...we don't know how to get into someone's face and intimidate..no intimidation...I'm tired of it..no killers...no coaches that want their players to kill..no care..so what we played a good team...Also...our secondary is soft...our safeties hit like women...they should be coming in and sacrificing and not caring if they get concussed or hurt...but putting a lick on the runner..ours come up and titty tackle..tire of it..
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
2nd half was like the first half of SDU.  Why can't we play 4 quarters of sound football?  I say that is coaching!!!  Football is a game that you have to be constantly up the kids a**es!!  You can't let them take a break!!  You have to be encouraging, yelling, grabbing, in their face coaching because  most of them lose focus...that is human in a 4 hour game...kids lose focus...you as the coach have to be constantly up their a** you can't take a break...and we did today.  I think the coaches go into the halftime and take a break...that is when you should be in their face...5 minutes before kickoff in the locker room at halftime should be a melee of testosterone and wanting to kill people... we come out like they smoked a couple of bowls and blunts and ate a bowl of pasta...we never make a statement...we don't know how to get into someone's face and intimidate..no intimidation...I'm tired of it..no killers...no coaches that want their players to kill..no care..so what we played a good team...Also...our secondary is soft...our safeties hit like women...they should be coming in and sacrificing and not caring if they get concussed or hurt...but putting a lick on the runner..ours come up and titty tackle..tire of it..

Absolutely F---ing Hilarious!!!! ;D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2014, 07:04:24 PM »
And to rub salt in the wound...UNI over NDSU 10-0 in 3rd...see they are making a statement...
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
This game was really about momentum and adjustments and qb play.  In the first half we had all of those at times but they started making defensive adjustments toward the end of the first half and that forced us into a field goal situation and had it blocked and then they took the momentum for good.  Zero points second half.  They  were able to neutralize Rivers and then they started running their qb and we were taking bad angles etc.  They have a good one. 

They were able to confuse Wells when they dropped the two ends back and had three down linemen. I don't think Wells could tell if they were going to blitz or not and they took away the outlet pass to the running back and the slot receiver over the middle.  Their quarterback on the other hand was very fast very elusive and made a lot of the throws he had to make.

Hunter probably should have had a couple of the passes he threw today intercepted, however, he didn't  but he was lucky.  especially in the second half.

Stubbs fumbled the football on the 2 yard line because he started running before he caught the ball. This put us in terrible field position. Another special teams problem.

then we have a second field goal blocked.  it looked to me that the holder was lined up to close to the center and there wasn't enough distance between the ball and the defense. One of the field goals was long but the other field goal was not.

You could argue that the turning point of the game occured  we had the first field goal blocked. However we were still moving the ball in the second half until about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  had we hit the two field goals we would have been in a one point game then we would have been able to win it with a field goal at the end however,we did not have the wind at our back in the 4th quarter.  that is coaching blunder because Illinois State won the toss we should have taken the wind in the 4th quarter in case the game was close.

This is not a game where we collapsed. This was a game where the small things we did wrong added up to a loss.  the punt that was 8 yards was essentially a turnover and it cost us field position. 

The other problem that I saw was that Julius Childs was playing 10 yards off the receiver he allowed several third-down throws to be converted to first downs.  Lack of pressure in the second half prevented us from shutting down the run game. 

Illinois State is probably even with us in ability this year but when you look at the fact that we have youth with a true freshman quarterback and they have a big 10 transfer dual threat that is not too shabby so they probably have the edge. The fact that we don't make much in the way of adjustments is a whole other problem.

The penalties killed us too at critical times
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:16:14 PM by penguinpower »

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »
Bottom line is, we have a lot of great athletes.  We don't have a lot of great football players.  Thus, this is what you get a team that on paper YSU, looks great but when it's time to strap up especially on defense we get embarrassed.  I'm tired of it, same stuff different year.  It's time for Wolford to go.  The guy hasn't accomplished a thing yet he walks around like he's such a great coach. Go back to the SEC and take your high powered offense with you. We need to get back to Defense, because right now it's embarrassing and has been since he has been here.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »
Huge one next week vs Indiana State. It goes without saying it is a must win for us.

Defense needs to comeback in a big way.

Go YSU!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
Good Luck with that one Big Red!  Especially now that they lost to UNI.  Anyone who thinks NDSU is going to lose to YSU at home after the thumping they took yesterday is living in the same fantasy world Obama is living in.   

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
I never had ISUr in my "win" column.  I hoped for the best but expected a loss. 

We play in the most bad azz FCS conference that is ranked above multiple FBS conferences.  We are gonna lose games to these FCS giants.  Losing to great teams doesn't bother me as much as seeing teams like Samford getting picked over an 8-4 MVFC team.  That is outrageous.  YSU would OWN the autobid in most other conferences.

Everything rides on next Saturday.  A win = playoffs, a likely contract extension for the Wolf, and new hope for the program.  A loss = no playoffs, reaffirmation that YSU FB is irrelevant, and new coaches.  If the latter is the case, I hope JT guides the selection process.

Few games in YSU FB history matter this much.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

We play in the most bad azz FCS conference that is ranked above multiple FBS conferences.  We are gonna lose games to these FCS giants.  Losing to great teams doesn't bother me as much as seeing teams like Samford getting picked over an 8-4 MVFC team.  That is outrageous.  YSU would OWN the autobid in most other conferences.

Nation....here is where I disagree with everyone who looked at this game as an L before it ever started (I will agree, I didn't have YSU winning).  YSU had their feet on the throat of ISUr and took it off.  In no way will I disrespect the Redbirds, cause that's a damn good football team.  But it's called a "program changing" win for a reason or how about stealing a win from a team that you shouldn't have beaten.  Unfortunately, this coaching staff only has 2 in nearly 5 years.  There are games that a team should lose (which this one could fall under), but then lose the game because you were outplayed by a better team  (which they accomplished in the 2nd half). 

That drive before the half....CRAP!!! With 3mins-plus on the clock and you choose to play-call for a field goal (that was no good) is just BS!!!  And then to make matters worse, you start the 3rd quarter in a somehow, someway scenario of having to stop them from scoring a TD.  And the Redbirds go right down the field.  I'm sorry, that's unacceptable. 

Saturday was another typical Penguin game.  Play one half of football and take your chances.  This program has proven over and over and over again that's not going to work.

And then, people will complain about only 1,000 people showing up next week.  Give me a reason why the casual fan shows up to watch that?  I have plenty of things to do on the weekend. Going to watch YSU play 30 minutes of football is just gut-wrenching and makes my heart hurt.  With all that said, I'll be in front of my tablet next Saturday....cheering like a SOB!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »

Nation....here is where I disagree with everyone who looked at this game as an L before it ever started (I will agree, I didn't have YSU winning).  YSU had their feet on the throat of ISUr and took it off.  In no way will I disrespect the Redbirds, cause that's a damn good football team.  But it's called a "program changing" win for a reason or how about stealing a win from a team that you shouldn't have beaten.  Unfortunately, this coaching staff only has 2 in nearly 5 years.  There are games that a team should lose (which this one could fall under), but then lose the game because you were outplayed by a better team  (which they accomplished in the 2nd half). 

That drive before the half....CRAP!!! With 3mins-plus on the clock and you choose to play-call for a field goal (that was no good) is just BS!!!  And then to make matters worse, you start the 3rd quarter in a somehow, someway scenario of having to stop them from scoring a TD.  And the Redbirds go right down the field.  I'm sorry, that's unacceptable. 

Saturday was another typical Penguin game.  Play one half of football and take your chances.  This program has proven over and over and over again that's not going to work.

And then, people will complain about only 1,000 people showing up next week.  Give me a reason why the casual fan shows up to watch that?  I have plenty of things to do on the weekend. Going to watch YSU play 30 minutes of football is just gut-wrenching and makes my heart hurt.  With all that said, I'll be in front of my tablet next Saturday....cheering like a SOB!!!

The ISUr game reminded me of the other game we played in IL, where Lunt found himself in the second half (like Roberson did) and reeled off 21 points.  I am more upset by the IL loss than the IL St loss.  IDK why they fold in the second half.  Like another poster asked, maybe they are passing a bowl around the locker room?  Do the coaches play with each other's peckers at half time instead of making adjustments?  idk..somethings not right.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »
I also am more upset with the Illinois Loss in the beginnng of the season also Penguin Nation..

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »
I had ILS, WIU and Illinois in the win column ...maybe lose one of those three. I had SDSU and NDSU as losses ...but a hope to pick up one after I saw how poorly SDSU is playng and we fell to WIU. The QB for Illinois is much better than Roberson for ILS. Had he caught on in the first half, we would have lost by 50+.