Author Topic: Who is going to Illinois State Saturday?  (Read 8851 times)

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Who is going to Illinois State Saturday?
« on: November 06, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
Making the trip to Normal for the game.  Is anyone else going? I have never been there before but I have heard there are some fun places to hang out, thoughts?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Who is going to Illinois State Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »
Dress warm.  The wind blows across their field almost continuously.  The people are the most friendly (outside of Indiana State) and the tailgate area is right next to the field.  Nice set up there.  I haven't been there since their stadium renovation, but I was there in 2006 and the visitors side was like HS bleachers, but right next to the tailgate.  You didn't have to walk far.

Offline Just Toyin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 07:55:04 PM »
JP21, had a few more from our crew scheduled to go but now down to two of us.  The parking lot Penguinpower referred to is no longer there - they cleared that area for the new side of their stadium.  We found an open lot just south of the stadium to tailgate in the pouring rain two years ago.  We will probably drive around briefly looking for other Guin fans - otherwise we will be in that lot just south of the stadium again (roughly 1/4 to 1/2 mile South - just off the main road running along the East side of the Stadium).  Look for us if you get a chance.

I'm not sure of other places to hang out.  I have always driven in and out in the same day.  We will be staying friday night this year - may try to find a local bar but no idea where.

Go Guins!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
Sorry about that guys.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:23:12 PM »
I met Keith Snoddy (QB on '79 team?) who said he knew a few people going to the game.  I don't think he has attended any games in a long time, but said he was at the game that honored that team. 

GO GUINS !!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 02:44:14 AM »
Both my parents are heading up to the game, wish I could come.. I'll be in town next week for the Indiana State game.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »
Make some noise Saturday!

GO GUINS!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
I met Keith Snoddy (QB on '79 team?) who said he knew a few people going to the game.  I don't think he has attended any games in a long time, but said he was at the game that honored that team. 

GO GUINS !!

Snoddy is the man. He was really the first 'Guin QB that I saw on a regular basis. That Snoddy/Ferranti combo was unstoppable. He still holds so many records. I do not think his season and career TD pass records have been broken yet. I know that he threw 40 regular-season TD's ...and I think that was only 3 years, with only 1 post-season. I think that Tidwell tied Snoddy's individual game TD record (4) and then I think Hess broke it (or at least tied it).

Offline REALBird

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »
Safe travel Penguin fans.    Here is a current tailgating map if you're interested:

http://www.goredbirds.com/documents/2014/6/23/Football_Map.pdf?id=92

Best spots with the most people tend to be the G-82 lot, plenty of co-eds and drunken college kids.  Plus easy access to the Fieldhouse/Hancock Stadium bleachers.

G-53 just South of the stadium is nice, but fills up fast.   Nice mixture of college kids with a slightly older crown mix.

Most opposing teams try to use U-91 by the Baseball field, but it's quite the hike to the stadium despite having your own private oasis.

Not tailgating, use the University Street garage, about half a block from the stadium right off Main Street.

In many ways, the new side of the stadium is very nice, but on those days where the wind is relentless, having the adjoining Fieldhouse is a welcomed relief on the visitors/student side.

Hoping for a very good game.   Now that our boys have the monkey off their backs and can stop focusing on being undefeated, they can just go out and play football.    Not sure the close games in the last few weeks is truly indicative of how well this team can play, the SDSU game to open conference is about as good as I've been them play in a while.    Then they started worrying about opening with the best record in ISU history (which isn't much) and talk about being the BEST TEAM in History started to cloud the boys vision.

Hoping they've gotten all that out of their systems and are ready to just play some football.

Once again....safe travels, good luck, hoping both teams can escape without any injuries.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
Was there for the 2000 game (14-12 win).  We tailgated in a lot near the stadium.  I'm sure a lot has changed in 14 years.  Wow time flies.  Go Penguins

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
President Tressel may have made the trip per Twitter:
"Austin Butts: Ok so we're staying in the hotel with Youngstown state football and this man Ryan said he just saw Jim Tressel walk by us"

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »
President Tressel may have made the trip per Twitter:
"Austin Butts: Ok so we're staying in the hotel with Youngstown state football and this man Ryan said he just saw Jim Tressel walk by us"

LOL!! Too bad he didn't coach after todays melt down  :-\

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
I am so damn tired of being out coached in the  second half.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
maybe coach Tressel should go into the locker room at halftime and give a few pointers?