Author Topic: Mid Week Predictions for Ill State  (Read 17054 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Mid Week Predictions for Ill State
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »
Well its about mid week.. How do we feel this week. Some interesting things heading into this game so far.. Illinois State squeaked by Missouri State, Western Illinois, and Indiana State. Against Missouri State they trailed 7-6 heading into the 4th, and ended up winning 21-7.. Against Western Ill they trailed 24-6 at half, trailed heading into the fourth quarter, but had an explosive 24 point 4th to end up winning 37-34. Against Indiana State they trailed 10-6 heading into the 4th and won 20-18.. Some interesting scores that all could have went the other way, and this Illinois State could have possible 3-4 conference losses. Seem like a second half team team to me. Gonna be interesting next week.. If im not mistaken im pretty sure we put up 40 or 50 on this team last year, and it is not an entirely different football team. Getting excited.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Mid Week Predictions for Ill State
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
This would seem, on paper, to be a VERY even match up.  Watched some of their games on replay... Their quarterback is explosive but he misses passes here and there. A lot of talent on the offensive side of the football. Beatable defense that will step up from time to time.  I am going to guess we are in for a heck of a game. I'm a homer so I'm going to call it at 24-21 in favor of the Penguins

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
I am going with 42-32 good guys. We will break 50, but maybe not quite a 75-point affair.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
Still a concern about our defense, especially the D line.  Seems to me the are gassed in the third quarter and there is never any substitutions.  Don't even see #90 & 94 - they must be way down the depth chart by now.
Fresh legs would go a long way in the 4th, but the coaches have yet to call me for an opinion.
With that said:  GO GUINS
No predictions because of my WIU game jinx.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »
Agreed, should make for a good matchup and gridlocked game. Their defense is very beatable, and we can exploit the secondary. The question is can we step up on defense and contain QB Tre Roberson. Athletic Quaterback.. He only threw for 127 yards last week and was sacked 5 times.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »
On a neutral field, I would feel very comfortable about this game.  But Illinois State last season won all their home games and lost all their road games.  Some of the margins both ways were huge as reflected in the beating that we administered to them at Stambaugh.  If the posters on their message board are correct, they have not lost yet in their renovated stadium.  Perhaps they are due.

Remember the last two games we played in Normal.  Got beat on a Hail Mary in 2010; blew a three touchdown lead and got shut out in the second half in 2012.  Time to erase the memories of those travesties.

I agree. Containing their Indiana transfer quarterback is the key.  Also, we are going to have to put up over 30.  That is doable if we don't make mistakes.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »
Do they not have a really good RB??  The QB seems more like a runner as opposed to passer I think.  If YSU can MAKE him throw the ball, seems like that would be the best way to go (WOW, did I really just say that!!).

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
Soup, I am glad that you made that statement.  I could not force myself to type those words. :P  That strategy worked very well at Missouri State against a run first quarterback.  Problem here is that this guy is much better and he has a high quality tailback standing next to him, as you suggested.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:58:45 PM »
Last years score was 59-21---should be a close game this year--hopefully the good guys will win.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
This team is more focused than ever. Now is the time where good teams start to separate themselves. Ruiz and Webb go off, Wells manages the game, nothing too fancy. Defense gets a late pick to seal the game.

YSU 35
Ill St 28
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:20:11 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
I will say Tre Roberson is a great athlete, better than the QB at Missouri St. Way faster. Have to be able to contain him. Coach Bryant has had some really good defensive game plans so far and I see that continuing. Let's go Guins!!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 09:54:01 PM »
Looking forward to seeing their scheme this week. Will be interesting to see if they will have a spy on the QB. I like both of our defensive ends, Rivers has done a tremendous job, 7 sacks in the past couple weeks.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 07:45:06 AM »
I also believe that we put up 30 this week.  fb fb But im also being a homer and bias because I want to see these
kids succeed.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »
Looking forward to seeing their scheme this week. Will be interesting to see if they will have a spy on the QB. I like both of our defensive ends, Rivers has done a tremendous job, 7 sacks in the past couple weeks.

I wouldn't spy Hunter.  However they could throw a wrench into the game plan for Illinois State by running Dante a few times.  Illinois State has struggled with the read option for several years.  In 2006 they were unable to stop us with Marcus Mason and we beat them twice running ithe that year once in the playoffs and once in regular season.   Every time I watch them it seems they struggle with it. Last year was an odd game and we couldn't do anything wrong that day.  I say heavy doses of Ruiz and Webb with play action to keep them honest
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:20:50 AM by penguinpower »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:36 AM »

I would spy Hunter.  However they could throw a wrench into the game plan for Illinois State by running Dante a few times.  Illinois State has struggled with the read option for several years.  In 2006 they were unable to stop us with Marcus Mason and we beat them twice running ithe that year once in the playoffs and once in regular season.   Every time I watch them it seems they struggle with it. Last year was an odd game and we couldn't do anything wrong that day.  I say heavy doses of Ruiz and Webb with play action to keep them honest

I agree 100%. I think your going to see alot of Ruiz and Webb. It is truly awesome to have to feature backs that you can interchange in the backfield. Ruiz is fantastic, tough kid, can run the football and take off, and Jody Webb is electric as well, and throughout the entire season has been consistent with coming up with a big play when needed, even in the Illinois game in week one when his TD pass from Nania was called back. I really would like to see Stubbsy out there alot this week as well, talk about electric, there may be no one else in the conference as quick and shifty as this kid, I would like to see him used more than just for jet sweeps though, kid can catch a ball over the middle and slip up the field. Stubbs and Bryan have proven that they are not afraid to catch a ball across the middle, and then hey you got the two big guys to stretch the field. I think we will see a deep shot or two down the field to Andrew Williams again this weekend.