Author Topic: YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE  (Read 45320 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
Kent and Akron have no interest in playing YSU, mainly because we have a good shot at beating them every single time (Whether they admit it or not)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »
 Penguin power said it best:  "How about start winning big games.  Get into the playoffs.   Win a few National Championships, become relevant again and the fans will fill the stands and the money will flow."

YSU football no longer relevant on a local or regional level.   Most of the kids being recruited today were infants the last time YSU played in the title game in 1999.   Our program is just "ok", nothing more.

Bottom line is Jon Heacock and Eric Wolford cannot win the big games.  Heacock 0-9 against Northern Iowa.  Wolford 2-10 combined against Northern Iowa, SD State, and ND State, enough said.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
Time to say something................ I like playing Kent or Akron as well as anyone. But the reality is both Kent and Akron are normally bottom teams in the MAC. It isn't a big deal beating basement teams , especially when they are close games and you also lose some. Doesn't say much for the chance of YSU success in the MAC.

The MVFC has better teams because of better players and coaching. Yep, believe it or not some good players come from the Dakotas , MInnesota, Iowa, etc.  The days of Youngstown being a dominate area for FCS players is over. Talent here is very average and the best opt for a higher level of play. That's why the coaches seek out players from better recruiting areas for FCS players -- Fla., Cal., Carolinas, etc. Many here think YSU has good players and they do.... to a degree. But there are holes in the program both on O and D. All those better players still can't win when you have weak spots.

I'm also of the opinion that some of the players DON'T LIKE playing for some of the coaches here, HC included. Players loved to play for Tressel. Can't say that I see the same for  Wolf. Frankly, I suspect he is an azz to play for. Some assistants may be viewed that way too.

I also suspect that the poor AD that's here now doesn't know who or what to schedule for games. The blood game usually means a loss and the weenie games......... well they are weenies and don't count for much come playoff time. Until the talent is improved so YSU becomes a top team in the MVFC and has coaches that can take them there, the playoffs which is the goal for most will remain elusive.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
Truth be told its not 1994.  We are 20 years removed and soooo much has changed in the landscape of college football.  We just lost to WIU in Stambaugh Stadium a once feared place to play.  YSU would have nothing to lose by playing any MAC team on the road.   

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
Will I get banned if I agree with Paladin?  :o

The days of Youngstown being a dominate area for FCS players is over. Talent here is very average and the best opt for a higher level of play. That's why the coaches seek out players from better recruiting areas for FCS players -- Fla., Cal., Carolinas, etc. Many here think YSU has good players and they do.... to a degree. But there are holes in the program both on O and D. All those better players still can't win when you have weak spots.

One problem I see is coaching talent at the HS level.  Too many players come in and are good and have raw talent, but lack the skill level necessary and spend too much time relearning the game.  By skill level I mean proper technique and film study, which I would bet is weak at many high schools.   

Chalk it up to job loss in the area?  Increase in soccer programs?  Problems in the educational system? All of the above? A. & B. but not C. or D.?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:40:41 PM by ScarletRook »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2014, 05:59:43 PM »
I do not see Akron wanting to play YSU in football, and it has NOTHING to do with fear of losing. There are other issues when it comes to YSU and Akron playing each other in football and mens basketball.

Also, this is not the late 80's/mid 90's when YSU was coached by a guy named Tressel and dominated the series(7-2-1). Before Tressel, the series was 12-12-1. YSU is a shadow of the program they were under Tressel, and Akron looks as if they may be turning a corner with Terry Bowden as HC. Akron is 4-2/2-0, and they had a big road win at PITT(3-3) in their 4th game. Given the weakness of the MAC East, and the MAC as a whole, it is not unlikely that Akron will win at least 7-8 games and play in a bowl game. And, they play BG, the best team in the MAC East at home. Win that game, and Akron may well win the MAC East. Here is the remaining schedule for Akron:

@ Ohio(3-4/1-2)
@ Ball State(1-5/0-2)
BG(5-2/3-0)
@ Buffalo(3-4/1-2)
UMASS(1-6/1-2)
@ Kent(0-6/0-3)

AS for KENT, it appears they have FCS opponents for 2015-2020. Also, since YSU moved to FCS, the record against KENT is 4-4.... 4-3 with Tressel and 0-1 with Heacock.

MY OPINION on why Kent no longer plays YSU in football is because Strollo wants to maximize the number of home games, and Kent is NOT going to play at YSU. There is no reason to play at YSU, as Kent has no problem finding FCS teams willing to play at Kent. Also, starting in 2005, YSU began playing a "money game", and that means scheduling Kent would result in 2 FBS road games. The AD has made it clear YSU does not want to have 2 OOC road games period, let alone 2 from FBS.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »
Paladin

When???? Will you ever get it through your head?.  Akron no Kent do not, get that, do not want to play YSU.

AMen...ENOUGH....LEAVE It.     They do not tolerate embarrassment  ,  Been doing football at YSU for 40 years. Even, were you AD...they would still decline. 

Spiderlegs

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »
Last year Kent AD expressed interest in renewing FB rivalry with YSU because of the extraordinary interest that the game would bring.  Don't know if the opening resulted in any discussions, but obviously the expression of interest didn't result in anything.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »
As usual Pita, you are a day late  and a dollar short.  I wasn't advocating that YSU play them. Simply responding to another's desire to play them. Playing them isn't a big deal as most of the time  they are losers. I don't see the need to play them but always enjoyed  the games. The rest of my post was far more relevant about the YSU program. than a comment about MAC teams

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
Pal...don't ever think I'm a day late or a dollar short, don't exactly know why you labelled me as such.  However, I only responded to a PART of your post.  You countless times knock Strollo, and I for one do not like that, so that's the part I picked up on.  I usually do not read your posts but I was waiting for baseball to start so, in boring moments I read what you had to say.  Day late and dollar short....not in my life time.

CHEERS!!!!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
Paladin

When???? Will you ever get it through your head?.  Akron no Kent do not, get that, do not want to play YSU.

AMen...ENOUGH....LEAVE It.     They do not tolerate embarrassment  ,  Been doing football at YSU for 40 years. Even, were you AD...they would still decline.

Pita,

I'm the one that brought it up again.  When I saw what Kent was paying and that they have an FCS school on their schedule each of the next 6 years, I thought why couldn't that be the Guins.  Akron has played an FCS school in 6 straight seasons, and has them on the schedule the next 2 years as well.  Their out of conference schedule beyond that is incomplete.  Besides the playoff games, I've enjoyed the Kent and Akron games the most during my almost 30 years of attending YSU games.  If YSU can come close to breaking even, I would so much rather watch the Guins play one of these two on the road, than destroy a lousy team from the Pioneer Conference at home.  I guess it's just mostly wishful thinking and selfishness on my part.