Author Topic: Another second half offensive failure  (Read 9142 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Another second half offensive failure
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »
JJ, were you around for the Tressel era? Our teams built up leads ...no where's near as big as Montgomery builds ...and expected Heacock to win the game for us. How did you manage to stay a fan then? If you think that a certain number of points should be enough to win a game ...if we achieve this number, who cares when? Coach M has to design a plan. You are upset because we gave up two scores at the start of the second half. This past weekend, his plan was clearly to keep possession of the ball & he was successful in 1, 2 and 4. in the third and part of the 2nd, our defense gave up scores, but the offense pulled us through.

If you want to say that you would like to see equal production all 4-quarters, or you would like to see him go back to being a bit more complex ...then make the point. I may not agree, but at least you are asking for something. The truth is, we are very vanilla on offense this year (as compared to previous years under coach M). However, it is working. Execution has dramatically improved this year. It will need to stay this way until we start recruiting position players and not athletes. Then also bring our current team up to speed ...neither of which are completely going to happen in 2014 ...which is why Wolf was offered the extra year.

Everyone is talking about Wells. Clearly he is not making throws to unopened receivers & the line is obviously giving him some protection. Does the OC not get any credit for this? Come on, if the plays were poor, the results would be the same. Wells is not successful despite his OC.

Do you not think there are things that I would like to see the offense doing that they are currently not? More option and a read component for one. However, I witnessed the results of these attempts this past weekend ...Wells is not there as of yet. (You are seeing the difference between a 4th-year starter in 2013 &  freshman in 2014). How about more depth up front, with better subs? How about a large TB, so we can stop swinging Stubbs around the end so much. Lot's of things to see and certainly things that need to be reduced ...but the man does his job and I think quite well. You know, had our opposition not scored all their points in the third, it would not matter ...this is what you are upset about. Or how about Illinois scoring 21 in the 4th-quarter? That was should not have happened.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:49:23 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline JFootball22

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
How about better coaching from Montgomery and the offensive staff?
I know he's not very bright as it is,  but its downright pathetic at times

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »
Don't even try to reason with unreasonable Lets_Talk. Yes it was Montgomery's fault we held the ball for 12 minutes in the 4th and did not score, Yes it was his fault that our great recruiter did not recruit a punter and we only average 20.9 ypp. Yes it was his fault that Wells through an INT to a man that was not even close to anything wearing red and black. Yes both fumbles were his fault

Of course let's not even mention that we had almost 500 yards of offense & averaged 6.6 yards per play on offense. Oh and yes, the fact that SIU's time-of-possession for the 1st and 4th quarters combined was barely 6 minutes ...wasn't that terrible? How dare our offense be so dominating. Why we need to be scoring in triple-digits don't you know. Then to only be 12 of 15 on 3rd-down just proves the man cannot get the job done ...Why anything less than 100% is just unacceptable and how dare his play-calling cause 2 fumbles and the INT. Why wait until the season-end ...fire the man now.

Of course we can never enjoy a win because J never contributes anything but "fire Montgomery" threads. Seems to me that coach M is not the one that needs to be gone at the end of the season?

I see what you mean
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne