Author Topic: Another second half offensive failure  (Read 9149 times)

Offline JFootball22

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Another second half offensive failure
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:14:22 AM »
Jesus Christ Montgomery is the biggest joke in the sports world
Thank god he's done after this year

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Another second half offensive failure
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:20:50 AM »
I agree.  Bad play calling.  At least we passed the ball this timw

Lets_Talk

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:44:30 AM »
I don't understand the criticism of the play calling in todays game? The first posession of the 2nd half, Wells threw and INT on the 3rd play of the drive. How is that the fault of Montgomery? Ther first 2 plays on that drive were a pass for 17 yards and run by Stubbs for 6 yards.

The 2nd possession of the 3rd qtr, YSU scored with an FG to go ahead 20-7.

The 3rd possession was 8 plays for 50 yards, and ended with Wells fumbling on the SIU 23. Again, how is a fumble the fault of the OC?

On the next drive, YSU scored a TD to go ahead 26-14, after SIU had scored to make the score 20-14.. 7 plays, 62 yards

YSU ran out the clock with a 13 play, 72 yard drive using up the final 7 minutes of the 4th qtr on the final possession of the 2nd half and the game.

Yes, the offense did not score alot of points in the 2nd half. But, they did not need to score alot of points in the 2nd half in order to win. 9 points in the 2nd half was plenty given the 17-0 halftime lead, the weather and field conditions, and the way the YSU defense played. And, after SIU cut the lead to 20-14, YSU answered with a TD to go back by 12 points and put an end to any positive momentum SIU had established in the 2nd half.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:50:38 AM »

rather harsh, I was not happy with the TO before the two point try, but the final drive was sweet and I think we were like 12 for 17 on third down.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:41 AM »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:53 AM »
Don't even try to reason with unreasonable Lets_Talk. Yes it was Montgomery's fault we held the ball for 12 minutes in the 4th and did not score, Yes it was his fault that our great recruiter did not recruit a punter and we only average 20.9 ypp. Yes it was his fault that Wells through an INT to a man that was not even close to anything wearing red and black. Yes both fumbles were his fault

Of course let's not even mention that we had almost 500 yards of offense & averaged 6.6 yards per play on offense. Oh and yes, the fact that SIU's time-of-possession for the 1st and 4th quarters combined was barely 6 minutes ...wasn't that terrible? How dare our offense be so dominating. Why we need to be scoring in triple-digits don't you know. Then to only be 12 of 15 on 3rd-down just proves the man cannot get the job done ...Why anything less than 100% is just unacceptable and how dare his play-calling cause 2 fumbles and the INT. Why wait until the season-end ...fire the man now.

Of course we can never enjoy a win because J never contributes anything but "fire Montgomery" threads. Seems to me that coach M is not the one that needs to be gone at the end of the season?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:19:21 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:50:28 AM »
I wouldn't call yesterday an offensive failure.  Sure, I would love to see TDs on every single possession.  But we all know that isn't going to happen against good competition.  What I would love to see is some consistency by the coaches AND players.  Yesterday, that was consistency at its best for YSU.  YSU controlled both LOS and the end result was a W.  Time of possession:  YSU 37+ mins; SIU 22+ mins.  Total yards: YSU 465; SIU 224.  Rushing:  YSU 196; SIU 75.  That folks was complete domination. 

Would I rather have seen the score 35-14 for YSU (which btw, my prediction was WAY off)?  Absolutely, but the reality of it all is YSU played very well for 60 minutes yesterday.  I'll take a bunch of 21-14, 24-21, etc scores as long as YSU is on the winning side.  That drive at the end of the game reminded me of a time in YSU history that was pretty special. 

I'm no fan of this coaching staff, but yesterday, they had this team prepared to win.  Even with the mistakes!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:21 AM »
I don't understand the criticism of the play calling in todays game? The first posession of the 2nd half, Wells threw and INT on the 3rd play of the drive. How is that the fault of Montgomery? Ther first 2 plays on that drive were a pass for 17 yards and run by Stubbs for 6 yards.

The 3rd possession was 8 plays for 50 yards, and ended with Wells fumbling on the SIU 23. Again, how is a fumble the fault of the OC?

On the next drive, YSU scored a TD to go ahead 26-14, after SIU had scored to make the score 20-14.. 7 plays, 62 yards

YSU ran out the clock with a 13 play, 72 yard drive using up the final 7 minutes of the 4th qtr on the final possession of the 2nd half and the game.

Yes, the offense did not score alot of points in the 2nd half. But, they did not need to score alot of points in the 2nd half in order to win. 9 points in the 2nd half was plenty given the 17-0 halftime lead, the weather and field conditions, and the way the YSU defense played. And, after SIU cut the lead to 20-14, YSU answered with a TD to go back by 12 points and put an end to any positive momentum SIU had established in the 2nd half.

Two things I noticed yesterday. Team speed in the secondary is not great and the coaching staff actual let the offense loose in the second half. The weather sucked and YSU still did well controlling the ball. The defense save their ass with the TO's.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:34:04 AM »
I actually had no problem with the play calling except for the trying to go read option where Wells fumbled. Other than that, play calling was solid.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »

Two things I noticed yesterday. Team speed in the secondary is not great and the coaching staff actual let the offense loose in the second half. The weather sucked and YSU still did well controlling the ball. The defense save their a$$ with the TO's.

I totally agree with this.  YSU got conservative with play calling on offense with run. But then they opened up the passing game.  We were fortunate that we could move the ball on them late.  The defense saved their a$$
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:44:23 AM by penguinpower »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »
Really wasn't a second half failure. More like a third quarter failure.  On both sides of the ball. The other three quarters were pretty spectacular.

Hunter's performance didn't surprise me.  SIU's weakness in the secondary was well known and we did a good job exploiting it.  The pass protection and holes created by our OL surprised me a lot. I'd welcome any insight on what happened.

I'm not ready the laud the defense, though it played well.  I figured we would have a hard time handling their running. Their star RB Malcolm Agnew was slicing us up, but he got only four carries before he was injured and left the game.  His yards per carry was 7.8.  SIU doesn't have the depth at the skilled positions that we do.  (Imagine what happens if Ruiz is down: They'd have to face Webb.  We are so stacked at RB!)  In the 3rd quarter they started picking on our corners with great success--not sure why they didn't stick with this.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:35:58 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
Wins a Win. All you can do is support the kids. We can sit here and debate coaches and coaching decisions forever, but in reality, this staff is here for the rest of the season no matter what. Let the kids make the plays out there.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline JFootball22

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »
Yeah execution doesn't fall on coaching ability or anything
 50 yards on 8 plays? That's terrible.
FGs are better then TDs now? News to me

quote author=Lets_Talk link=topic=9659.msg72203#msg72203 date=1413693870]

[/quote]

Offline JFootball22

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »

Yeah it sure is great seeing our offense fail to put second half TDs on the board year after year after year

You should go learn something about football before your allowed to run your keystrokes

Offline JFootball22

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
What's unreasonable about wanting second half toucbdowns?
Then again you cry like a little b**** and think you're opinion is the end all be all, its downright pathetic really

Don't even try to reason with unreasonable Lets_Talk. Yes it was Montgomery's fault we held the ball for 12 minutes in the 4th and did not score, Yes it was his fault that our great recruiter did not recruit a punter and we only average 20.9 ypp. Yes it was his fault that Wells through an INT to a man that was not even close to anything wearing red and black. Yes both fumbles were his fault

Of course let's not even mention that we had almost 500 yards of offense & averaged 6.6 yards per play on offense. Oh and yes, the fact that SIU's time-of-possession for the 1st and 4th quarters combined was barely 6 minutes ...wasn't that terrible? How dare our offense be so dominating. Why we need to be scoring in triple-digits don't you know. Then to only be 12 of 15 on 3rd-down just proves the man cannot get the job done ...Why anything less than 100% is just unacceptable and how dare his play-calling cause 2 fumbles and the INT. Why wait until the season-end ...fire the man now.

Of course we can never enjoy a win because J never contributes anything but "fire Montgomery" threads. Seems to me that coach M is not the one that needs to be gone at the end of the season?