Author Topic: Western Ill game.....  (Read 19891 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: Western Ill game.....
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
Nice post SoupCity. There is frustration and confusion going on. Hoping it will change.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »
I was at the interview ...Wolf did try to keep the focus on the game. At the very end he did say that the stretcher was mostly precautionary and that he thought it was a good idea. So Ohio and Soup, you are both right.

One thing that needs to be mentioned here is how the team (most especially Wells) stopped at nothing in an attempt to win that game. From the stands, that hail Mary was a thing of beauty.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
We all knew coming into this game this was the same defense that held N.D.S.U. to 3 pts heading into the 4th and 17 overall. Our offense played well enough to pickup the win. It wasn't our day on the defensive side of the ball and the overall game management was questionable at best. After the fake punt it was game set match. The 1st drive in the red-zone we seemed  content to play for a field goal and that seemed to set the tone early on. Our conference is brutal with know weak teams top to bottom. S.I.U. handed W.I.U. a 34-17 setback so we better be ready come Saturday. The play of Hunter Wells was a bright spot for the offense and the right choice. He made the tough throws needed to win games in this conference. Sure he had his share of freshman mistakes but his ability to work the middle of the defense was exciting to watch and will only help stretch defenses and help our run game in the long run. The love for Y.S.U. football on this board and in the stands is second to none. At the end of the day our penguins will win and lose as a team. We have a great brand of football to watch week in and week out in this conference. Would anyone like to see us in a lesser conference just so we can make the playoffs and then get beat by a M.V.C. team in the first round. You are only as good  as the schedule you play...we have 6 more games to play..anything is possible!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 07:54:59 PM »
Western Illinois is the best defense we will see all year.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »
Other than NDSU?  I think their D is only allowing 260 yards/game average.   And only 6 TDs all season.

And ISUr is around 290 yards/game, and 5 TDs all season.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:19:53 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »
I don't think we were as bad as we played according to Wolford we have been the least penalized team in conference the past 2 years.  Still dont understand the targeting rule especially in kickoffs how can the refs make that call ...dont get it...The Conference seriously needs to upgrade the officials ..it seemed at times they had not ever worked together.  This game will be a wake up call for us..we will either step up and play our asses of or muddle through the rest of the conference.   The talent is there we have a coaching staff that needs to lead and coach up our talent.  We will never again have that wonderful 90's championship run.  I don't think we should expect that but I do expect a team that plays hard and plays disciplined. We need make it a priorty that when a team comes to our house they know it is going to be THE HARDEST HITTING GAME ON their schedule.  Till that happens we will never be a threat to won our conference.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 11:05:52 PM »
Talent will be determined by play on the field, ysugo .  Everyone thought it was great beating the weenie teams.  The real games now will shed light on the "talent".

Needless to say, I'll be back to discuss this again AFTER you get a GOOD look.  ;D

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
Talent will be determined by play on the field, ysugo .  Everyone thought it was great beating the weenie teams.  The real games now will shed light on the "talent".

Needless to say, I'll be back to discuss this again AFTER you get a GOOD look.  ;D

The talent is there and a good coach would have us in contention to win the conference.  The bullsh** things we do cost us games.  5-10 plays we need to get back every game.  The punt fake happening twice this year is not acceptable.  The poor game management.  The defense offside on 4th down giving WIU a first down on after a critical 3rd down stop.  The fact that our secondary players don't turn around to look for the ball and the fact that the safety consistently allows the receiver to get behind him are coaching problems.  This team has the talent.  They were better than Western Illinois athletically and they match up well with the rest of the league.  The consistent mistakes and ways we find to lose games are just unbelievable.  If we don't give up the fake punt AGAIN we prevent a TD and may have won the game.  If we don't run offside and get the ball back we don't give up a TD and we may have one the game.  The comedy of errors is the issue.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »
Those are my points exactly!  These mistakes should have been cleaned up after the Illinois game, but they continued in the weenie games.  Missouri Valley teams will continue to take advantage of those mistakes.  That's why we may end up 6-6, and again out of the PO.  The same stupid mistakes year in, year out.  Every year, poor secondary and linebacker play, special teams and stupid mental errors,  Where the hell is the discipline in this program.  How many games have we thrown away over the last three years alone?

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 08:45:45 AM »
5-10 plays we need to get back every game.

4 key ones for me this week.

1) Illegal motion on the first drive.  It was 3rd and 2, and the way we were running the ball we would have scored a TD, but the penalty caused us to settle for a field goal.

2) The INT turned TD reception.  The guy made a great read and break on the ball, but took his eyes off of it to look upfield.  It was third down, so even if he knocks it down they would have been punting.

3) The fake punt.  We had the "mo" going into half, and had them stopped on their initial drive of the third quarter until no one in the middle stayed home to guard against the fake.  Next play is a TD.

4) Offsides on WIU's next possession after the fake.  A bad snap on 3rd and 6 left WIU with a 4th and 14, but wait, YSU was offsides, and now it's 3rd and 1.  6 plays later WIU is in the end zone.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »
As long as we continue to make mental mistakes, and screw ups on special teams we will be in trouble. Making mistakes and boo boos that we preach to midget football players about.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!