Author Topic: Western Ill game.....  (Read 20086 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: Western Ill game.....
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 05:03:22 PM »
The season is still young. I think that last night was a wake up call and reality check. Or at least hope. Need to see some leadership on the field, hasn't been much. I understand and think it's cute and all that he want's a "no name team" on the field, but unfortunately you need some damn leaders on that field, and you need to allow these players to lead and make decisions. On a side note of the no name team, a no name team would mean we go out and everyone contributes and does what it takes to win a game, but we have seen the same BS the past 5 weeks, and the same crap on offense going to the same kids.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
C Stephen Page did not play yesterday at all due to a concussion, Cole Newsome the RS Freshman started instead. That could have been a factor. Did not know that little nugget during the game.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »
Tough loss.. WIU's not that bad of a team but YSU should win these games on the home turf. Mo state is probably the worst team in the league. The "bad" news is the better teams are ahead of YSU. SDSU, SIU and SD are winnable. Indy State, IL ST. and NDSU the boys better bring an A++ game to have a chance.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Everyone is starting to catch on now, Red. I , as usual , tried to warn everyone after last season was over that there were problems for this year .  QB, OL, DL & the secondary. Those problems haven't been addressed and the better teams are yet ahead. I'm expecting some wins yet but I picked them to go 7-5 but only if they stay healthy. There   is little depth  again this year and injuries could knock them down to 6-6 or worse. They can still surprise given the right match-ups.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 08:05:10 PM by paladin »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »
We played a sloppy game.  Sloppy play, Sloppy Coaching..sloppy attendance...sloppy referees. .but this Coaching staff has consistently laid an egg when it needed to step up.  I am not going to agree with Pally assessment that we have a problem on the lines or at QB...this team has talent..but it isnt getting coached up...
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »
We played a sloppy game.  Sloppy play, Sloppy Coaching..sloppy attendance...sloppy referees. .but this Coaching staff has consistently laid an egg when it needed to step up.  I am not going to agree with Pally assessment that we have a problem on the lines or at QB...this team has talent..but it isnt getting coached up...

I agree with you. And you my friend are correct.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
Oh really, ysugo ?  Just watch the games ahead for QB play and the OL & DL. I think I have already sold you on the secondary. Right ?  lol  What did the stats tell you for this game ? We got outrun and out passed and this isn't even one of the better teams in the MVFC. I'll be back to remind you  soon.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Hell, at this point god only knows who the best team is in the MVFC or at the top. After watching many of these teams play the past two weeks, zero consistency. Tough conference to play in. Could be an interesting year collectively across the MVFC.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
Thank God that the website was down this weekend.  Gave me some time to really sit back and think about Saturday while I was driving back to Dayton last night.

First thing that REALLY bothers me....The Jelani Berassa interview after the game.  You can tell the absolute frustration in his "no comment" answers.  And look at his face, I wish I was in his head during that interview.  Is it the coaching? The players? The execution or lack thereof?  Or how about the "no comment" to the question about did the offense take a step back?  Just bad, really bad.

The second thing...the Wolford interview after the game.  When asked about the Demond Hymes injury.  I just don't get how he can act so removed from that situation.  I would assume most coaches would be genuinely interested about the kid.  There was no "I'm going to check on him right after this interview" type of comment.  Just a "hope he will be back soon."  Makes me feel as though he's given up already or just flat doesn't care anymore.  I also learned while at the game that he never bought a home here.  He is supposedly renting on the North side. 

As for preparation, in-game adjustments, and/or halftime adjustments.  This coaching staff just doesn't have a good handle on any of that.  For those of you who are huge Montgomery fans.  Get over it, he is not the star of this staff.  There isn't a coach on this staff who deserves to be here anymore.  That offense is so bland and so obvious that its scary to watch.  People in the stands know what's going to happen before it happens....sad!!  I don't want to hear about OL, QB...blah blah blah.  The coaching staff needs to develop these kids and that just is not happening at this point.  The talent on the offense from RB to WR to TE is really amazing, yet the ball is NEVER thrown to the TEs and other than Jelani no other receivers seem to get consistent looks (i.e. Christian Bryan). 

The defense and special teams....I saw what I expected to see.  Horrible tackling and crappy preparation for both.  This secondary has been terrible for 4+ years and has not gotten any better...still.  And I see from seat throughout the game, Stoops cheering on the defense while they're sitting there.  HOW ABOUT GETTING IN THEIR sh** FOR A LACK OF DISCIPLINE OR TACKLING OR WHATEVER OTHER PROBLEM.  It just sickens me.

I really wanted Wolford to succeed here, this city is just dying for a successful football program.  But I've learned, Wolford will not be successful here for the long haul.  Is it his ego?  Lack of knowledge? Lack of making the proper adjustments?  Who knows, but I just don't see it happening here.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
Thank God that the website was down this weekend.  Gave me some time to really sit back and think about Saturday while I was driving back to Dayton last night.

First thing that REALLY bothers me....The Jelani Berassa interview after the game.  You can tell the absolute frustration in his "no comment" answers.  And look at his face, I wish I was in his head during that interview.  Is it the coaching? The players? The execution or lack thereof?  Or how about the "no comment" to the question about did the offense take a step back?  Just bad, really bad.

The second thing...the Wolford interview after the game.  When asked about the Demond Hymes injury.  I just don't get how he can act so removed from that situation.  I would assume most coaches would be genuinely interested about the kid.  There was no "I'm going to check on him right after this interview" type of comment.  Just a "hope he will be back soon."  Makes me feel as though he's given up already or just flat doesn't care anymore.  I also learned while at the game that he never bought a home here.  He is supposedly renting on the North side. 

As for preparation, in-game adjustments, and/or halftime adjustments.  This coaching staff just doesn't have a good handle on any of that.  For those of you who are huge Montgomery fans.  Get over it, he is not the star of this staff.  There isn't a coach on this staff who deserves to be here anymore.  That offense is so bland and so obvious that its scary to watch.  People in the stands know what's going to happen before it happens....sad!!  I don't want to hear about OL, QB...blah blah blah.  The coaching staff needs to develop these kids and that just is not happening at this point.  The talent on the offense from RB to WR to TE is really amazing, yet the ball is NEVER thrown to the TEs and other than Jelani no other receivers seem to get consistent looks (i.e. Christian Bryan). 

The defense and special teams....I saw what I expected to see.  Horrible tackling and crappy preparation for both.  This secondary has been terrible for 4+ years and has not gotten any better...still.  And I see from seat throughout the game, Stoops cheering on the defense while they're sitting there.  HOW ABOUT GETTING IN THEIR sh** FOR A LACK OF DISCIPLINE OR TACKLING OR WHATEVER OTHER PROBLEM.  It just sickens me.

I really wanted Wolford to succeed here, this city is just dying for a successful football program.  But I've learned, Wolford will not be successful here for the long haul.  Is it his ego?  Lack of knowledge? Lack of making the proper adjustments?  Who knows, but I just don't see it happening here.

That's one of the best posts this board has ever seen!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »
BTW, where was Kitchen at ( Ga. Tech transfer) ?  Thought Wolf said this guy may be the greatest to ever play the position at YSU.

ohiofootball

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »
Soup City - whoever told you Wolford was renting is wrong. He BOUGHT a house the very first year he was here. He loves this community and wants to be here for a long time.

As for Jelani - He was very frustrated. As much as you all get frustrated on here this game does not directly affect you like it affects players. They are the ones out there busting their asses. Can you imagine if someone pulled you into a conference room as soon as you lost a disappointing game and asked you stupid questions. He said "no comment" because he knew whatever he said someone would find a problem with it. A player is NEVER going to openly talk to the media about what quarterback they want to play, nor are they going to try to let the media put the blame on the coaches (the question about the offense taking a step back).

This team is going to stick together and find a way to get it done.

ohiofootball

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »
Also as for Demond Hymes - the coaches and players had received word that he was ok and just had a bad concussion. They are not going to discuss any condition anymore than they need to. These coaches and players care about each other more than you can ever imagine.... don't try to make that something it is not.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
Ohiofootball...thank you for the clarification.  That's why I put "supposedly" in my comment.  I assumed someone on here would know.

As for the Berassa question....I'll agree to disagree with you.  I don't care how frustrated you are....YOU KNOW THE QUESTION IS GOING TO BE ASKED.  So answer it in a way that says "no comment."  How about something like, "It doesn't matter who the QB is, we didn't execute for either one of them." This my friend, comes with development....not only as it pertains to playing but talking with the media.  Did you watch D'Alesio's interview.  For as bad as the defense played and all the substitutions, he didn't give a "no comment."  He said we just didn't execute like we're supposed to.  End of story.

And Hymes, it's called compassion.  I will never question the players love for each other.  But a coach, a Head Coach...I expect him to say "I know it's a concussion, but I'm stopping by the hospital on my way home to ensure the kid is ok."  Simple, to the point and shows compassion.  They took the kid off on a stretcher, the least he deserves is a visit from his head coach.

ohiofootball

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 03:06:39 PM »
Part of it could be that D'Alessio has been doing interviews a lot longer than Jelani and knows what to say. There hasn't been many offensive players doing post game interviews for a while now... It was always Hess.
I read in the paper that Wolford said he knew Hymes was going to be okay and they did the stretcher for precautionary measures. Do you know for a fact that Wolford did not go visit him? I don't know either way but can find out if it is that important to you.