Author Topic: Western Ill game.....  (Read 20056 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Western Ill game.....
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »
Definitely a tough one to take yesterday. Not sure where to begin. Was feeling better at halftime, as we had taken the lead. But was a little disappointed how the first half ended, as we took timeouts to get the ball back before the end of the half, just to run the clock out?  Not sure. (Yet again I'm only 25, and I'm not Wolf, or the OC).  Seems like we didn't make any adjustments at halftime. They came right out and took it to us. The offense looked 100% out of sync yesterday. Ruiz and Webb have it their all as usual and did the most they could. As far as the passing game, couple drops were inexcusable, especially two of them on 3rd down and two them hit them right in the chest. Hey, on a positive note Christian Bryan was targeted once and had a big 24 yard reception down the center of the field, and Andre had a nice game as well. Flustering game to watch, and I think you guys agree. It was unfortunate the Defense couldn't make a quicker stop on that last series, but hey offense cannot disappear for quarters. Am I the only one to be flustered?
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline MrGuin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Western Ill game.....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »
I agree...What the hell was that at the end of the half. You know they get the ball to start the half, why not try and get as many points as possible. It was obviously gonna be a tight game. Your kicker is more than capable of making a 50+ yarder, especially with the wind at his back. That was just one of the MANY disappointments of their performance last night. Really no more room for error from this point on. It's gonna be tough to say the least.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
Sad part is it still came down to undisciplined mental mistakes..  3 personal fouls.... a couple procedure calls on 3rd and 1 ... off sides ...  Plus no brakes.. All the calls seemed to go for WI.  I am going to rewatch the game....

ohiofootball

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
You are definitely not the only one flustered! I can promise you there are 80 football players and 10 coaches that are a lot more flustered than anyone else. Too many missed opportunities yesterday.... We are the least penalized team in the conference the last 2 years and last night we made up for that....too many personal fouls, ejections etc. Although, the first ejection was ridiculous... it was a clean hit! We had pick six early that bounces off our guy's hand and pops into their receiver's hand and they scored a TD instead. Big drops on  third down and false starts on 3rd and short killed us. W Illinois' last possession - our defense caused a fumble and it was ruled incomplete... watch it again.... he caught the ball, took two steps and fumbled with us recovering. That gives us the ball on their 35 with 5 minutes to go instead of our own 7 with 45 seconds left. And what I thought was the biggest mistake was when our guys released to play for the return on the fake punt. We just can't make mental mistakes like that and win against good teams. This team has the talent...they will work hard to get things corrected in practice this week and will be out there next Saturday busting their asses to get a

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »
I agree...What the hell was that at the end of the half. You know they get the ball to start the half, why not try and get as many points as possible. It was obviously gonna be a tight game. Your kicker is more than capable of making a 50+ yarder, especially with the wind at his back. That was just one of the MANY disappointments of their performance last night. Really no more room for error from this point on. It's gonna be tough to say the least.

We were. Webb had to get out of bounds and he failed to do so. It was a smart call to cut our losses after that.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »
Those refs were probably the worst I've ever seen in a football game, ever. High school, pee wee, whatever, wow..... We ran it down their throats the first drive, but couldn't get any push up front after that. That's a pretty good defense WIU has. In the end, we needed a stop on defense and could not get it... Not having Des Williams and Terrell Williams hurt on the DL. Childs still gets picked on too much. Taking Dante out was the right call, he's just not effective throwing the ball. Next week is a must win or this season is over.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 02:08:19 PM »
And I know of a couple offensive players who are truly frustrated with the play calling.... As they should be.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »
And I know of a couple offensive players who are truly frustrated with the play calling.... As they should be.

I can agree with you on that one buddy. I don't say very much because Christian is on the team. Need to do what it takes to win. I'm hoping it will change for the players sake.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »
The fake punt completely changed the complexion of the game. We had control and completely gave the momentum away.

Huge one next week. Very curious to see how we respond.

Go YSU!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »
The fake punt completely changed the complexion of the game. We had control and completely gave the momentum away.

Go YSU!

That and the pick 6 that turned into a TD for WIU off of Dortch's hands..... Huge.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »

Absolutely!  Terrible?  Special teams has definitely been a huge disappointment this year. Along with many other things. It is hard to watch this!  Poor clock management. Penalties. Undisciplined. Another completely disappointing item about the game is the complete lack of fan support. No noise until the end of the game when there was about 1000 fans left. Pathetic.

Go YSU!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 03:53:34 PM »
Two blocked punts and two fake punts run to perfection against us this year. All four changed momentum in a big way and all four led to touchdowns on the ensuing drive.

Special teams are critical and we have failed this year on special teams. It bit us in the rear end again yesterday when we had shut them down on defense.

Time to fix these silly mistakes and correct them. Gut check time for this team and staff.

Beat SIU!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »
Although thoroughly disgusted with the outcome of the game--especially disgusted with the fake punt that I was expecting--it did seem like the Penguins never gave up even after constantly shooting themselves in the foot with avoidable penalties.Eliminate blatant mistakes and unnecessary penalties,fight till the end,take one game at a time and we can beat anybody.New season begins Saturday--if we fix what we need to and don't quit game outcomes will be different.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
Two blocked punts and two fake punts run to perfection against us this year. All four changed momentum in a big way and all four led to touchdowns on the ensuing drive.

Special teams are critical and we have failed this year on special teams. It bit us in the rear end again yesterday when we had shut them down on defense.

Time to fix these silly mistakes and correct them. Gut check time for this team and staff.

Beat SIU!

I absolutely agree with you. Gut Check time is correct! Special teams has been awful in areas. And that fake punt call was a great call by Western Ill, (sh** i would have done the same thing if i saw that the opposing team was gonna have two deep already, and the other nine were all gonna just straight dropback), that's good coaching right there, and adjusting. That pick six play was crazy. And that play we challenged did very well appear to be a fumble, that kid was turning with possession of that. Some of personal fouls were ridiculous. And the ejection on the opening kickoff was garbage. Need a good week of practice. You don't win this game on saturday your in some trouble.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »
Although thoroughly disgusted with the outcome of the game--especially disgusted with the fake punt that I was expecting--it did seem like the Penguins never gave up even after constantly shooting themselves in the foot with avoidable penalties.Eliminate blatant mistakes and unnecessary penalties,fight till the end,take one game at a time and we can beat anybody.New season begins Saturday--if we fix what we need to and don't quit game outcomes will be different.

Nice post, I couldn't agree more. Can't shoot yourself in the foot. Little things like jumping offsides on third down hurts.