Author Topic: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?  (Read 73447 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »
Let's put this thread into perspective for most of the the emotional fans that lack critical thinking skills.   Wolford has been here for several years already and we have not made the playoffs yet.  John Heacock was here from 2001 to 2009 and made the playoffs once in 2006.  He also had bubble teams. 

When Wolford came in he was arrogant,  but I think he has been somewhat humbled.  When he arrived he told everyone how he coached in the SEC and how you "can't win the Indianapolis 500 driving a tractor".  We are now 4-5 years into the contract and his record looks a lot like Heacock's to me.  Yet Wolford has had way better resources as far as money and he was afforded an indoor practice facility, new locker room,  and I think he got a new weight room too.  Wolford's coaches are paid significantly more and have a bigger recruiting budget too. 

When you have demonstrated that you will lose some games you should win, and the toughest part of your schedule lies ahead and you have a track record of blowing big games and lack a signature win (until this last weekend) then the thread and the topic that Wick250 pointed out are very relevant.  Nothing is as good as it seems or bad as it seems but somewhere in between.

I think that Wick250 brought up a compelling topic for conversation and he does not deserve to be belittled for his opinion.  Quite frankly I am a fan but I've been around long enough to know that our run in the 1990's may never ever be repeated. Fan expectations are high but we have 2,000 in the stands.  Tailgate passes are not sold out.  The coaches salaries are higher and the data says we won't win our last 3 games.  So when the coach, who for all intents and purposes, is on the hot seat, loses a game to an interior team such as WIU with one of the the best crowds of the season to that point.....how could you not think he's in trouble.   The most difficult part of the schedule lies ahead of us just like last year. And just like the past 2 years did we get it done?  The answer is NO.

Does that mean I am not a fan or that Wick250 is not a fan?  He'll no. I'm excited to see that the team is playing like a team.  This is the best I've seen it under Wolford. We actually know how to play decent defense this year and that among other things seems to be different, but we won't know until the team actually gets it done.

This board is starting to go downhill because there is very little in the area of solid analysis and when  people put their opinion forward they are chastised for it.  I don't agree with Paladin but I respect his opinion and that needs to be upheld by everyone on this board. Otherwise it will end up with juvenile rhetoric which is already happening on a significant level.  I think some apologies are owed.

It is nice that we have a fan board but we won't have a decent one without a little respect to go around. And if we don't respect each other the collective intelligence of the posting fan community will diminish.  It sounds easy to do but everone has to put the effort forward with the understanding that 95% of communication is based on physical ques so you have to be extremely careful when posting with typed text to people who don't really know you.

PP
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:41:39 PM by penguinpower »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2014, 03:36:39 AM »
penguinpower,

Very good post. Some people seem to have trouble understanding this is not a cheer-leading site. Nor is it a site for everyone to agree with each other. Sites like this work best when people can give their opinions, voice their displeasure, approval, and whatever else they wish to express, provided it is not an attack on a coach, administrator, student-athlete or another poster of a PERSONAL nature.

This is a board to discuss sports at a Division 1 University. If any players, coach's, administrators read this site and cannot handle criticism and frustration from fans, then they had best stay off the site. Criticism is part of the territory. We praise these same people when they do a good to outstanding job, so I have never understood the problem with being critical when the performance is below expectations? Again, as long as the criticism is confined to job performance, then it comes with being a part of a sports team at the Division 1 level. If it becomes attacks of a personal nature having nothing to do with the job at hand, that is when the line is crossed.

I also read and post on the UNLV message board. The conversations on there have very little in the way of childishness and name calling. There is disagreeing, but it is a site where people can voice their opinion, and where there is a wide range of opinions voiced. Sometimes the discussions get into somewhat heated debates, but it does not turn into personal attacks akin to those made by children in grade school.

This site has lost multiple posters who provided insight, opinions and helped in having some interesting discussions. And, with the way things are going, it would not surprise me if other people stop posting. Despite what some people might think, that would NOT be good for this board. Who wants to participate on a message/discussion board where everyone agrees with each other, and people who voice dissenting views/opinions have to deal with being called names, get deemed to be not a "true" fan, and other things that people get accused of and/or have directed at them buy a handful of people who post on this board.

Thank you again penguinpower for the well written, well thought out post.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »
Critical thinking? How is saying "we won't win two more games" a critical thought? It's stupidity. And I won't stand for unintelligent posts about a football team and school that's so meaningful to me. This board lacks because of anonimity offered by it, allowing wick250 and paladin the option to post nonsense after losses.

Again, where is wick250 and paladin after a win? The first thing I did after the win was post on this board. The first thing wick and paladin do after losses is post. It tells you who truly wants to see ysu win, and who truly wants to just gloat on here and say "I was right".
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Lets_Talk

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »
jjysuwin,

You keep talking about people posting anonymously, yet you do not post with your real name. Why is that? If you want people to use their real names, then how about being a leader and start using your real name, instead of posting in anonymity behind the name jjysuwin?

It is a fair question, given that you keep bringing up people posting with user names being a problem. And, saying other people post with user names instead of their real names is not an acceptable answer. My first name and 1st intial of my last name are at the bottom of every post. No, it is not my full name, but it is more than you provide, and I'm not complaining that people posting with user names in anonimity is the problem with this board. Just saying ??? ::)

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »
Its simple. I do not call out players, coaches or administrators, and say they need fired. Whenever I have a complaint, I go directly to YSU. I do not post anonymous messages.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »
Critical thinking? How is saying "we won't win two more games" a critical thought? It's stupidity. And I won't stand for unintelligent posts about a football team and school that's so meaningful to me. This board lacks because of anonimity offered by it, allowing wick250 and paladin the option to post nonsense after losses.

Again, where is wick250 and paladin after a win? The first thing I did after the win was post on this board. The first thing wick and paladin do after losses is post. It tells you who truly wants to see ysu win, and who truly wants to just gloat on here and say "I was right".

My point is that he is entitled to his opinion without ridicule.  I think there are several skeptics and he is allowed to be one of those. 

I will tell you that there has been a significant change in how the team plays this year.  Outside of the WIU game,  the defense has been outstanding.  We will go far if we keep playing like this.  But be honest that Kravitz and Tracey were not nearly as good as Bryant and the defense suffered for it. 

There is no way we win at SDSU without Wells at the helm either.  His ability to throw down field forced then to respect our run game.  I wouldn't want to defend us with him back there.

I am not interested in gloating, but rather discussion.  Most of the competing schools have constant information coming out around the football program.  I feel starved for it.  We don't have enough information at all.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
People are alowed to say whatever they want. But if they post a controversial opinion, then they better be able to back it up when they're wrong. All I am saying is I'd respect wick250's and paladin 100 times more if they owned up to what they said, when they're wrong. But I'll stand by what I said, that they'd rather is lose to be proven right, than for us to win and they be proven wrong.

Case and point, they are nowhere to be found after a win. Wtf!!??

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2014, 02:01:58 PM »
Paladin is still out searching for the Juco quarterback we so desperately needed 😅

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »
PALADIN IS HERE !! Computer blew out on Friday. Just got back online. I have lots of catching up to do with all my sites I'm on. This one seems to be butthurt for "some" reason.  Must have missed me. ;D  ;D  ;D

For those who this applies to ( and you know who you are)  -- KISS MY AZZ

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2014, 07:17:12 PM »
PALADIN IS HERE !! Computer blew out on Friday. Just got back online. I have lots of catching up to do with all my sites I'm on. This one seems to be butthurt for "some" reason.  Must have missed me. ;D  ;D  ;D

Welcome back punk ass biotch ;)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »
Let's talk about a new basketball coach instead ;)

Offline NatChamps93949597

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2014, 09:25:32 AM »

Nice excuse, No one's buying! You've been exposed! Go away!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »

You're trying to get IP to start posting again, aren't you?  ;D

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »

You're trying to get IP to start posting again, aren't you?  ;D

C'mon back IP! Miss ya brotha!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2014, 04:03:49 PM »
Hope we dont see this topic blow-up in another hour...........................