Author Topic: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?  (Read 72892 times)

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:15 PM »
But I made popcorn. It's fun watching everyone question everyone else's fanhood.

Oh, the drama. Kind of like Steelers message boards late Sunday afternoon.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
I actually didn't hate your one article on Traficant. Congrats, you're now above Bertram.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 11:35:20 PM »
That is almost a compliment! Thanks!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »
What I would most like to see is this coaching staff succeed.  I have no love or hate for any of them but feel they have been as inadequate in their performance as they blame their players.  Yes, every offensive play is designed to score if the players execute as they should and every defensive play is to stop that.  Reality is it doesn't happen that way.

Coaching changes don't always solve the problems.....see Michigan just to name one big program that has the money to bring in top talent.  All of the possible new coaches mentioned bring no guarantee they can/will succeed here anymore than Wolf.  Wolford was a highly respected O-line coach and I don't think anyone can predict how well anyone will do as a head coach at a certain program.

So many times it seems as if Wolford has turned things around only to lay an egg.  Some of that burden needs to be shouldered by the players for their actions and attitude - not talent level.  Many of those issues have been addressed by the coaching staff, but each action comes with a price.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:40:52 AM by ScarletRook »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2014, 09:34:03 AM »
To follow up on ScarletRook, it would also be nice to have a coach who doesn't blame his problems on fans not cheering loud enough.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2014, 09:44:39 AM »
Scarlet, let me start by saying that your comment was very, very good.  I couldn't have put that into words any better.  So, thank you for that.  I appreciated it and think you hit the nail on head for me.

"So many times it seems as if Wolford has turned things around only to lay an egg.  Some of that burden needs to be shouldered by the players for their actions and attitude - not talent level.  Many of those issues have been addressed by the coaching staff, but each action comes with a price."

Could it be that the players no longer "buy in" to the coaching staff's direction?  Has Wolford maybe lost the locker room?  Or maybe starting to lose?

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2014, 09:46:12 AM »
Spiderlegs

Well from the games I have attended they don't (see NDSU) - but that is not the teams biggest problem.
I was at the game last Saturday and the area I sat in was empty by halftime and I don't think it was because my deodorant wasn't working.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:20:27 AM by ScarletRook »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Could it be that the players no longer "buy in" to the coaching staff's direction?  Has Wolford maybe lost the locker room?  Or maybe starting to lose?

SoupCity:

Seanbryan3 could probably answer that question better than me, but it wouldn't be fair to him to ask.
I see problems among the team, coaches and university and "a house divided cannot stand."
I cannot speak for any player, but whether you buy into the program or not - you should play for pride; it will help your working skills later in life. That said, this is some of what I have observed over the past few years.
* Off-field problems with top players that have resulted in their removal.  I give kudo's to the coaching staff for being able to do that when they know the cost to them.
* On-field problems among players when the game gets tight.  This is just pure selfishness.
   (Reminds me of the Cooper years at OSU - and I am not here to bash him)
 I truly believe that team discipline is the major factor that makes NDSU better than their opponents.
* Players too busy partying the night before (legally or ileaglly) to be ready to go on Saturday.  [Disclaimer: I have no proof of this other than conversations with some University police.]
* On field problems among coaches - although I have not seen it much THIS year.
* Coaches not meaning what they say to players - which may be the problem of buying into the program.
* In-house laundry being aired publicly.  We all like to know what is going on because after a while, some of the players start to feel like family, but there are things that are just none of the public's business.

Fan loyalty is a disgrace.  We can argue about where the fault lies.  I think the Athletic Department does a very insufficient job of promoting games and the fans do an insufficient job of supporting the players.  The University does little to make YSU more than a commuter college so many students don't hang around the weekend waiting for a sporting event.

I think many people here have great ideas and I wish we could somehow work together to solve problems instead of fighting over things we cannot control.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:21:22 AM by ScarletRook »

Offline Scarlet and Lace

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »
New Coaches seem to be working out fine. When money is talking...and it always is...we have an assistant who has National Championship and a great recruiting resume. Why not promote from within? Fits the bill:
Came from program with few off the field issues
Positive relationship with other coaches formerly worked with
Tells players upfront what to expect on and off the field and sticks to it
Private
History of discipline
Likeablility from fans
Relatability to college students
Probably missed more but just responding to ScarletRook.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »
New Coaches seem to be working out fine. When money is talking...and it always is

Heard that same statement when Wolford was hired.
Not here to argue any of what has been said.
Still have games to play this season and hope I can make the trip today.
Backs to the wall and underdogs - should be an inspiration.

LETS GO GUINS!

Online penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2014, 11:37:02 AM »
New Coaches seem to be working out fine. When money is talking...and it always is...we have an assistant who has National Championship and a great recruiting resume. Why not promote from within? Fits the bill:
Came from program with few off the field issues
Positive relationship with other coaches formerly worked with
Tells players upfront what to expect on and off the field and sticks to it
Private
History of discipline
Likeablility from fans
Relatability to college students
Probably missed more but just responding to ScarletRook.

Who is it?

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
Well I nominate this for dumbest thread of the year!
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

ValleyTalk

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:45 AM »
Well I nominate this for dumbest thread of the year!

This is my favorite part and it is already wrong!
Last evening marked the end of Eric Wolford's attempt to be a head coach at the collegiate level.  We won't win more than two more games

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »
LOL

Lets_Talk

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »
To quote Lee Corso, "not so fast my friend".

Yes, things look rosy now. Things also looked rosy last year when YSU was 8-1.
Things looked rosy in 2012 after YSU beat NDSU on the road, and only needed to beat last place Missouri State at home to make the playoffs.

I'm NOT saying YSU is going to go 1-3 or 0-4 in the final 4 games. At the same time, there is no guarantee this will not happen. As fo today, the final 3 games this year are more difficult than the final 3 games of last year. 2 of the games are on the road to teams that are undefeated and have played all full scholarship schools. The 3rd is at home against Indy State(5-3/2-2), which won at FBS Ball State and also has wins over Liberty(5-3), UNI(4-4) and at SIU(5-4). Their losses are at Indiana, at NDSU and at ISU, and they did not play any partial or non scholarship teams.

Also, if YSU were to finish 8-4 or better, make the playoffs and win 1-2 games in the playoffs, there might be some FBS teams interested in hiring Wolford. I'm not sure Wolford is the type to turn done more money and an opportunity to be a HC of an FBS school, even if it means going to a place with little likelihood of success. There will be multiple non power 5 schools looking for new HC's in the off-season. Wolford would have a winning record at YSU, and back-to-back seasons of 8 or more wins, plus a trip to the playoffs. FBS schools have offered or hired FCS coaches with similar or less success than Wolford would have at YSU if the team gets to the playoffs this year, whether or not they win a playoff game.

David Bailiff was hired by Rice after the 2006 season. He was HC at Texas State(then an FCS program) and had a 3 year record of 21-15.... 5-6, 11-3(FCS semi-finals), 5-6

Pete Lembo was 35-22 at Elon from 06-10, with 1 trip to FCS playoffs in 2009. His final season at Elon, the team went 6-5. He was then hired to be the HC at Ball State.... Lembo did go 44-14 in 5 seasons(01-05) at Lehigh prior to Elon, with playoff appearances in 01 and 04

Chris Creighton went 42-22 in 6 years(08-13) at Drake(Pioneer League) and was hired by Eastern Michigan as HC for the 2014 season.

Trent Miles was 20-36 in 5 years at Indy State(08-12)... He was hired by new FBS program Georgia State after the 2012 season

Todd Berry went 24-24 in 2 years at ISU(96-99), with trips to the playoffs in each of his final 2 seasons... ISU was 3-8 and 2-9 in his first 2 seasons... He was hired by Army for the 2000 season, went 5-35 in 4 years and was fired. He is now HC at Louisiana Monroe, and has a record of 26-30(2010-present)

Ron Carragher was 44-22 in 6 years at San Diego(Pioneer League), and then hired in 2013 by San Jose State

So, what started as a thread based on Wolford being fired at the end of the season, may well end up being a thread for Wolford's replacement when he bolts YSU if able to get the team to the playoffs this season. And, YSU finishing 7-5 is still a realistic possibility, though I hope they finish with 8-10 regular season wins and make the playoffs.

Rich Ellerson went 56-34 in 8 seasons at Cal-Poly(01-08), then was hired by Army in 2009, and fired after the 2011 season with a 3 year record of 20-41
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:46:15 AM by Lets_Talk »