Poll

Who wins?

Youngstown State
9 (47.4%)
Missouri State
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: YSU at Missouri State  (Read 20307 times)

ValleyTalk

YSU at Missouri State
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
YSU travels to Missouri State for a top 25 match-up Saturday in Springfield, MO. Missouri State recently renovated their stadium and it is beginning to rival Stambaugh Stadium imho. Note the pictures at the end of this post. In addition, their fans are pushing for a 2nd straight sell-out of 18,000, although they only have 13,000 sold right now per: http://missouristate.247sports.com/Board/59469/Contents/Game-5-24-MSU-vs-12-YSU-10414-Sellout-2-31365327?Page=4

If you get real bored, stroll to some of their other threads and see how a good chunk of their fan base wants to move up to the FBS. I have no idea what they have done in 20 years to even be considered for the FBS? They consistently average 10-11k fans per year, and their new stadium only gets them to around 18,000. I think some of their fans are just drinking the kool-aide right now.

Nonetheless, this is a very good challenge for YSU. Massey has MSU #3 in the FCS and 6 point favorites over YSU. The computers like the Bears a lot more than the humans, who have them in the 20s in the rankings.

This game reminds me a lot of last year's MVFC opener at Southern Illinois. MSU has a very good offense, but has a defense that I think we can exploit in areas. They are ranked 46th in the FCS in rush defense and 76th in pass defense. YSU is ranked 33rd in rush defense, but tied for 91st in pass defense. Needless to say, this may be a shoot-out.

Also, does anyone know if this game will be broadcast on area TV or are we going to be forced to buy the online video if we want to watch it? Last year all of our road games were broadcast live on WFMJ or WBCB!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:48:15 AM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU at Missouri State
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »
Nice stadium. This game will determine how our season goes I believe. Must win for the Guins!

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
Anyone have a web address for a Missouri state message board? All I get is a dead end, or basketball site. Thanks.

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »
Nice stadium. This game will determine how our season goes I believe. Must win for the Guins!
Left side kinda looks like our east side stands, A little enhanced though.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »
Anyone have a web address for a Missouri state message board? All I get is a dead end, or basketball site. Thanks.
I have a link in my original post sir.

Offline ysufratrat23

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »
I did see an ad on TV last night that the game is going to be on WBCB.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
WBCB website confirms that the game is scheduled for Oct. 4. 

I want to be wrong about this, but I feel that next Saturday is the beginning of the end for Wolford.  I don't think that we will win any of the four road games and will probably lose one at home, in a customarily stupid fashion.  91st in pass defense in his fifth season.  That statistic sort of says it all.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
I am the only one so far who voted Mizz State on the poll.  I think the game will be close, but I think that ultimately the Achille's heel of a weak pass defense will be exploited.  For the season, I'm afraid it'll be a another near miss.

Scalzo wrote this: 

"I think the Penguins will go 8-4 with a 5-3 mark in the league. I think they'll make the playoffs. I think they'll lose in the second round of the playoffs and I think Wolford will sign a multi-year extension. "

http://www.vindy.com/weblogs/penguin-insider/2014/sep/21/ten-thoughts-ysu-entering-bye-week/#sthash.ecBZqstI.dpuf

Does the Vindy drug test its reporters?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »
Easy on Scalzo. I said 7-5 in the pre-season and also said if the QB problem isn't fixed or they get injuries 6-6 or worse is possible. I'll be curious to see if the BEST players play. Time for bullsh!ting the public is over with on the weenie games. Best have the studs out there now.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
This game is going to be a battle.  We have the athletes to win but the questions are: Can the coaches ensure our athletes are in the right position?  & Can our athletes play 60 minutes?   Those are the questions.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »
WBCB website confirms that the game is scheduled for Oct. 4. 

I want to be wrong about this, but I feel that next Saturday is the beginning of the end for Wolford.  I don't think that we will win any of the four road games and will probably lose one at home, in a customarily stupid fashion.  91st in pass defense in his fifth season.  That statistic sort of says it all.

I'm certainly not that pessimistic. Missouri State had two late comebacks vs. Northwestern State and Central Arkansas to get them to that 3-1 record. They are beatable, but it will all come down to our defense.

Hopefully everyone is healthy and ready for this one.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
Can we freaking get Durden on the field??? Seriously, It's been 5 weeks and he's still not cleared to play because of "paperwork" issues from South Florida. Need him on the field now because he will take the place of #1 and play outside with Dortch. I don't understand what the hold up is........

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »
Can we freaking get Durden on the field??? Seriously, It's been 5 weeks and he's still not cleared to play because of "paperwork" issues from South Florida. Need him on the field now because he will take the place of #1 and play outside with Dortch. I don't understand what the hold up is........

^^^^^^^^  great point

Maybe they didn't want him to leave and they aren't releasing him

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 07:03:21 PM »
I don't know the facts here so this is speculation.  As an accredited institution, South Florida can not withhold a student's transcript for any reason.  The "paperwork" explanation does not make any sense.  Most likely, he took some questionable courses at South Florida that no department at YSU will accept.  He might therefore lack enough credits to play this year, according to NCAA rules. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »
I don't know the facts here so this is speculation.  As an accredited institution, South Florida can not withhold a student's transcript for any reason.  The "paperwork" explanation does not make any sense.  Most likely, he took some questionable courses at South Florida that no department at YSU will accept.  He might therefore lack enough credits to play this year, according to NCAA rules.

Wolf said that the holdup was on South Florida's end so I have no idea what to make of it. We need to get Scalzo on the scoop lol.