Poll

Who wins?

Youngstown State
9 (47.4%)
Missouri State
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: YSU at Missouri State  (Read 20445 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU at Missouri State
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »
Question:

Our defense seems to be the brunt of the blame for most seasons.  With Kitchen playing this weekend we should have a decent stable of D-Linemen.
So why does YSU not keep fresh legs in the game?  Is it lack of talent behind the starters or is that just the mindset of the coaches?
I would think that this game will require a lot of containing their QB and I would think that rotating would help keep or defense from getting gassed.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »

Wolf agrees that MSU > IL.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/oct/03/bear-of-an-opponent/

He also said last night that Kitchen hurt is foot Tuesday and will have limited action Saturday.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Spiderlegs

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
Question:

Our defense seems to be the brunt of the blame for most seasons.  With Kitchen playing this weekend we should have a decent stable of D-Linemen.
So why does YSU not keep fresh legs in the game?  Is it lack of talent behind the starters or is that just the mindset of the coaches?
I would think that this game will require a lot of containing their QB and I would think that rotating would help keep or defense from getting gassed.

1. The DL is fast but not quick enough to respond to change in directions. The DL can reach the QB, but once the QB takes off, can't respond fast enough to catch him.

2. The CBs play off the receiver to prevent the big play, which appears to be based on a decision of the coaching staff.  I'm not sure if that decision reflects a defensive philosophy or has been implemented because of weak talent in DB. Either way, the effect is that YSU gives the 5-7 yard pass, which kills us on third down.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
Plus the run after catch .

ValleyTalk

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 05:43:33 AM »
On Thursday Wolford did say that Kitchen hurt his foot so he may play, but may not start.

Now onto the game. We have been playing pretty disciplined football right now. Very few penalties and turnovers. I've watched enough football to know that when you play disciplined, you can overcome your weaknesses. I really believe Coach Bryant will throw some wrinkles in there to slow down Kierra Harris. He will get his yards, but he can't do it all himself.

I like YSU 31-27. This is an enormous game for this program IMO.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »
Biggest game of the year today. Let's go boys!