Author Topic: Ticket Sales/Attendance  (Read 34322 times)

Offline petepossy

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ticket Sales/Attendance
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
I would not expect much from the new guys John Brown, from his Bio he works for Rick Love and interned for him while in school. Looks like another good old boy thing to me. 

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »
Oh great, another acolyte of "Pear Bryant ". :( ;)

ValleyTalk

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 05:23:04 AM »
I would not expect much from the new guys John Brown, from his Bio he works for Rick Love and interned for him while in school. Looks like another good old boy thing to me.
There is most certainly a difference between the two I can assure you. Why not shoot an email to each with ideas and you will see.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
Are people on this thread serious about sending an email to the newest hire in the marketing department? This guy has a Bachelor's Degree from YSU, and a Masters Degree in Sports Management from OU. He worked in the YSU athletic department as an undergrad, and after graduating from OU, he spent time at UVA and as marketing assistant for the Big South Conference. He has also worked in Minor League Baseball with the Southern Ohio Copperheads and Mahoning Valley Scrappers.

Presumably, this guy was hired because of his qualifications for the position. Because of WHAT he knows, not WHO he knows. This just baffles me that a person with the title of Assistant Director of Athletics for Sales & Event Management needs fans and/or the general public to give him ideas on how to better market the program, and on better game day promotions. This is a D1 UNIVERSITY, not a high school with the person working a supplemental for a few thousand dollars, if even that much.

What is next, having fans send e-mails to Wolford, Montgomery and Bryant with game plan ideas for the upcoming game? Actually, this might not be a bad idea.  :-\ They can pick a fan submitted offensive plan, defensive plan and special teams plan. The fans can be introduced before the game. If able to make the game in person, they can either sit in the coach's booth of the press box, or be on the sidelines(their choice). If not able to make the game, they can use Skype to interact with the coaching staff and players. Do the same thing for EVERY sport. This would TRULY get fans involved in the game.

I do not know John Brown, and this is not a personal attack on him. This is a commentary on the YSU Athletic Department as a whole, and the notion that a person hired by a DIVISION 1 Athletic Department and given the Title of Assistant Director of Athletics needs ideas from fans on how to better market and promote the games. If this is indeed true, then why was this guy even hired? Just have 1 full time person in the Department, and staff the department with several student interns. The marketing and promotion ideas can come from a combination of the interns and fans. The Director of the Dept overseas the implementation, and any type of PR or business related functions. It would save money, and there is no way the marketing and promotions of YSU athletics could get any worse.

Offline NatChamps93949597

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 04:11:59 AM »
I'm sorry if you took my post out of context. I don't think myself, or the other people on here who suggested emailing John Brown, meant that Mr. Brown was actively soliciting emails from people on this board. This was just a suggestion I made.

Several people on here have made it seem members of the athletics department are un-approachable. I had the exact opposite experience. I suggested emailing or calling someone to voice their concerns if they think otherwise. This isn't some off the wall suggestion I was making.  Fortune 500 Businesses get feedback by the minute on how to improve their structure, marketing, advertising etc. You would be surprised that almost every business idea ever, comes from consumer feedback.

I teach my students that successful CEO's know that they don't know everything. You can apply that logic to any job.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
  We play a very soft non-league schedule that is not appealing to the average fan, and YSU has been to the playoffs once in 13 years, thats why attendance is what it is.   The attendance will not improve until we get a team that competes for the playoffs on a regular basis.

All of us, including me at times, think we are what we were in the 1990's.   I do find the hiring of another marketing person interesting.  YSU overall is cutting jobs, yet we hire another marketing person.  We have three full time sports information directors, several associate athletic directors, and a very high paid coaching staff for 1-AA football.

We are old news right when it comes to power programs in 1-AA, we hang our hat on having the best stadium in 1-AA football, thats nowhere near enough.   I agree on marketing lacks creativity and really need that when you are just an average program.    Our marketing is buy one, get one free.   You can give the tickets away, people don't want to come!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 07:16:58 AM »
  We play a very soft non-league schedule that is not appealing to the average fan, and YSU has been to the playoffs once in 13 years, thats why attendance is what it is.   The attendance will not improve until we get a team that competes for the playoffs on a regular basis.

All of us, including me at times, think we are what we were in the 1990's.   I do find the hiring of another marketing person interesting.  YSU overall is cutting jobs, yet we hire another marketing person.  We have three full time sports information directors, several associate athletic directors, and a very high paid coaching staff for 1-AA football.

We are old news right when it comes to power programs in 1-AA, we hang our hat on having the best stadium in 1-AA football, thats nowhere near enough.   I agree on marketing lacks creativity and really need that when you are just an average program.    Our marketing is buy one, get one free.   You can give the tickets away, people don't want to come!

I'm not sure the stadium is tops in the conference let alone 1FCS anymore.  Lucky to be top 20 ish :-X

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »

I'm not sure the stadium is tops in the conference let alone 1FCS anymore.  Lucky to be top 20 ish :-X

Yep, our stadium is nowhere near the nicest. Need a scoreboard, and the east stands are just... Plain. Ugly. Look Half Finished (Because They Are)....

Offline petepossy

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »

Presumably, this guy was hired because of his qualifications for the position. Because of WHAT he knows, not WHO he knows. This just baffles me that a person with the title of Assistant Director of Athletics for Sales & Event Management needs fans and/or the general public to give him ideas on how to better market the program, and on better game day promotions. This is a D1 UNIVERSITY, not a high school with the person working a supplemental for a few thousand dollars, if even that much.

I highly doubt there are many people in that department that have been hired for their qualifications rather than their friends. Typical Youngstown mentality

Offline NatChamps93949597

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:18 AM »

I highly doubt there are many people in that department that have been hired for their qualifications rather than their friends. Typical Youngstown mentality

Is that a fact?

I think Mr. Brown does a good job with sponsorship and marketing. I know a lot of big donors and sponsors who sit in my section at basketball games agree. A Penguin Club board member told me we're the #1 school in FCS/I-AA football as far as corporate sponsor support goes. That money in turn, helps build and update facilities (softball, track, soccer and WATTS).

According to this board member, we're supposed to get a new video board at football as part as switching to Pepsi.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »

Is that a fact?

I think Mr. Brown does a good job with sponsorship and marketing. I know a lot of big donors and sponsors who sit in my section at basketball games agree. A Penguin Club board member told me we're the #1 school in FCS/I-AA football as far as corporate sponsor support goes. That money in turn, helps build and update facilities (softball, track, soccer and WATTS).

According to this board member, we're supposed to get a new video board at football as part as switching to Pepsi.

Well, in that case. Go Pepsi lol

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »

Is that a fact?

Well, in that case. Go Pepsi lol

Exactly. Ysu gets a lot of sponsorship support. Good for them!
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2014, 07:23:18 AM »

Is that a fact?

Coke bought the last one. Long with the second scoreboard in the IC, a new scoreboard in Beeghly, parts of the player lounge and new locker room.  BRING BACK COKE!!!

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »
Coke did not buy the basketball board, the penguin club did.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2014, 02:17:17 PM »

Is that a fact?

Coke bought the last one. Long with the second scoreboard in the IC, a new scoreboard in Beeghly, parts of the player lounge and new locker room.  BRING BACK COKE!!!

Guarantee Coke did not buy all of the that. They bought the last scoreboard? Cool. If they are not willing to pony up to buy a new one, see ya.