Author Topic: Is there a reason why we don't stunt our LB's on defense?  (Read 3336 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Is there a reason why we don't stunt our LB's on defense?
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »
I don't recall seeing us stunt and back off into coverage.   We always show our hand.  Is that odd?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a reason why we don't stunt our LB's on defense?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 10:38:04 AM »
I don't recall seeing us stunt and back off into coverage.   We always show our hand.  Is that odd?

Same reason our D-line dont get their hands up when they dont get more than a foot of the ball....which is 75% of their plays.  :-[  :'(

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »
Stunts and blitzes make a good pass defense better, and a bad pass defense worse.  Stunts take long to develop leave gaps seams and open routes, Dropping a lineman into coverage is meant to confuse a hurried quarterback.  If you cannot get a rush with 4 or 5 down lineman, you certainly aren't going to get one with 3 or 4.   Those are personnel problems.   Coaching problems are very simple.  Confidence in diagnosing a gameplan.  A stunt twist or blitz the wrong way at the wrong time results in a huge play, its a gamble.  Some coaches are confident in their ability to study film and gamble accordingly.  Coaches without confidence auto-demote themselves to a "bend but dont break" philosophy, vanilla defenses that tackle pretty well, and they hope to hold teams to field goals using a shortened field as a cheat sheet for calling aggressive defensive plays.  Usually this kind of philosophy only works with an offense that can run up the score.  Opposing offenses will start making mistakes to try and catch up.  See Oregon ducks.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »
I think the D has to be simple.  Our guys are fast, but don't seem to be too quick. When they penetrate the opposition's backfield, the opposing QB just changes direction and they can't catch up.  Similar thing on running plays.  YSU D is always caught when the opposing RB runs a change of direction, and judging from the plays that our opponents call, everybody seems to know this except YSU. I think if YSU tries anything more complicated right now, things might actually get worse.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:26:11 AM by Spiderlegs »