Author Topic: Ticket Sales/Attendance  (Read 34362 times)

Offline petepossy

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Ticket Sales/Attendance
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »
We all know winning sells tickets but it seems like the university does little to nothing to try to help fill the stands. While they do have youth prices We have no family rates to make it affordable to come to a game. There are no ticket specials ( other than an unadvertised Mountain Dew can), no concessions specials or packages where you can get tickets and concessions value. Yes they give away a ton of tickets to schools for kids day but they do nothing to advertise kids day to the public let alone any other games. There is never a public push for season tickets or single game tickets. While the team is 3-1 there is no excitement in the community because we played no body and there is very little to no advertising. Our promotions do nothing to draw excitement or help sell tickets. It's simple business you need to spend money to make money

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: Ticket Sales/Attendance
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
Definitely need to spend some money to make money! It is very depressing to see that huge stadium not even half filled! At 3-1 there should be some excitement, but I can definitely understand why people wouldn't want to rush to the YO and pay to see non scholarship schools like Butler. Advertising needs to continue to become better, they have taken much bigger steps though over the past 4 years, but still need to spend a little bit more. Having Tressel around definitely brings a Buzz and spark of interest to the University! Let's Go Guins!
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline petepossy

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
I have seen little to no change over the past several years in any sort of advertising. A few shaky commercials on the three local stations (aired at odd hours) and bill boards that do little to create excitement (both most likely trade agreements). Absolutely no advertising on cable network channels, little to no excitement at local business (even the ones advertising at the stadium) and no effort to effectively market to family’s or the youth. In order to build a Penguins Nation you need to get the kids & families and make it fun for high schools kids, college students and young adults to want to come to the game rather than the countless other things to do on a Saturday. We have facilities, a great community, a beautiful campus it is a shame that basically no money is spent to promotes this stuff on the Athletics side.

Offline letsgoguins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
Well let's point the finger at the individual responsible for marketing and putting butts in the seats, that is Rick Love. http://www.ysusports.com/information/directory/Love_Rick

Let's cut straight to the chase. We have 13,000 students at YSU and he can't even get 10% of them to the football or basketball games. We play in a tremendous mid-major athletic conference in the Horizon League with top-level competition and regional rivals, yet his inability to get 2,000 at most games is getting quite pathetic. Furthermore, the promotions at these sporting events are laughable. Nobody is going to come for a keychain or water bottle or a stupid schedule magnet. So instead of having area businesses subsidize the purchase of those promotions, why not offer better ticket promotions, family discounts, high school tailgate days, military days, etc. Find a damn spot to light off fireworks in the middle of campus if you don't want the fireworks causing damage to the WATTS.

My favorite promotion playing right now is on Clear Channel and it is embarrassing. It goes something to the effect of, "There are 2 teams and 1 football and it belongs to us because it is a Youngstown state of mind." WTF does that even mean?!?!?!?!!?

It does not take a PhD to figure out how to market games. Go look at other schools, NDSU, UNI, JMU, and other schools social media accounts. They have top notch promo videos to get the community excited. They engage the community and get students excited. We don't!

We are a Division 1 school with a Division 3 athletic marketing dept.

Just my 2 cents...

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
It is very safe to say that the Advertising is very half ass! And that advertising means alot to fans, students, and potential recruits! Needs to be vamped!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
I agree with much of what has been said on this thread.  University marketing and promotion has been inept for about 25 years since Bruce Burge departed.  Personally, I would outsource marketing, promotion, and ticket sales to a private, PROFESSIONAL company.  I would negotiate a reasonable yearly fee and allow them to keep a percentage of the gate.  That would provide INCENTIVE.  Now, these guys get their pay checks whether we draw or not.  Look at the example of the Covelli Center.  After years of failure by allowing outsiders with little expertise or concern for the valley to operate the facility, the city hired Eric Ryan.  He has turned the Covelli Center into a success as he understands exactly what acts to bring here and how to promote them. 

Lets_Talk

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
letsgoguins,

EXCELLENT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
Wait, YSU has an advertising department??

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
We need to have more night games, with youth soccer, football and everything else being played you are not getting those kids and families. The game has to become an event to get the casual fan...the night games help that. Our marketing department is deadweight. Winning would help and this area is notorious for only rooting for winners due to being in between 2 markets. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »
The "attendance" was announced at just over 16K. Care to guess how many actual butts in seats were here ?

Promos are bad. Ticket sales often padded with businesses buying some to inflate the numbers, but actual fans in seats ?   8)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:15:05 PM by paladin »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »
I wonder how many were actually in the seats yesterday.. I wish there was 16,000 in the seats, and the players wish and deserve to be playing in front of a larger crowd..

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »
I would say there were 10-11k last night.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »
I wonder how many were actually in the seats yesterday.. I wish there was 16,000 in the seats, and the players wish and deserve to be playing in front of a larger crowd..
Agreed--my guess would be a little over 11k.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
That's not too bad I guess for a non conference game against a lower tier team. I did expect more though for a night game!

kforbs126

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »
I think a lot of the attendance issues goes along with the fact alumni leave the area after graduation.  I know I did.  If there was a large amount of alumni locally I bet it would help attendance.