Author Topic: Ticket Sales/Attendance  (Read 34355 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Ticket Sales/Attendance
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am a part time faculty member at YSU in the school of business. Here's my two cents.

If you all want marketing to change, I recommend you contacting this person. http://ysusports.com/information/directory/bios/brown-john

I contacted him last year regarding some basketball marketing ideas I had. Long story short, marketing for bball games got better. He and I do lunch every few months and I share with him suggestions that my section and I come up with to make the games more exciting.

If you have his ear show him this:

1.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjMR8QJJ8-k
2.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnOb4Fu-HHk
3.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSEyXq9XVLI
4.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmzLF6r1UTI

If you don't show him those at least show him this one:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xjqKMrAYbw

We are waaaaaay behind the time in terms of how we project ourselves in the current age of media.  We recruit nationally and we can be seen nationally every week but all of the media is cheap local and substandard.  Recruits can only see what we have available and you never know who it is going to reach.  We need to advertise our facilities on video clips.  We need to show everything in high definition.  Compare anyone of those to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IPtIfnWMhI

There is no comparison.  We need to make videos of our success and share them via social media.  It really gets out there.  It will be shared everywhere. 

Also I would like to point out the subliminal messages in NDSU's season ticket commercial.  They talk about how important the fans are.  We don't mention it in our video.  Fire stretch internet it is substandard.  Somebody needs to take control of this over there.  The local agencies are horrible at advertising.  I could do better with a hand held video camera.  We don't even broadcast in HD.
The best may be this awesome highlight tape from last year when Eastern Washington shocked Oregon State: http://vimeo.com/74015628

Regarding streaming, we obviously have the tools to broadcast in full HD if we can do it for the Horizon League Network. I'm sure they can figure out a premium version of UStream to still charge for it.

Furthermore, being you don't live up here, the games on MyYTV are now broadcast in full HD, which makes me wonder why on earth our highlight tapes are not in HD and why the audio is embarrassing on them???

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 08:59:38 PM »
Too much nostalgia here.  The 70's, 80's and 90's existed in a time when you could watch 3 games on Tv throughout the day, two on Sundays, one on Monday.  Now EVERY game can be seen, all day Saturday and Sunday.  This allows is for people to get their football fix without leaving the comfort of their home, not pay money to be in the elements watching 2nd tier football.   Now I realize that's a sore subject as some think the MVC is the "SEC of FCS football".  To many that's like winning the Superlotto and getting a check for 5 bucks. I'm not saying that an FCS championship is worth 5 bucks, but the majority of causal fans out there think just that.

What sells a football game?  Name recognition?  There is some, but football isn't the first thing that comes to peoples minds when the city of Youngstown is spoken about.  Opposition recognition? very little, 90's Championships? nobody really cares anymore.  Your not gonna put butts in the seats by marching out 20 year old flags.  A flyover wont rattle anybody's windows enough to bring them out from watching Fla. vs Alabama on a 55 inch screen in HD drinking cheaply.  NDSU might win FCS championships hand over fist but ask the majority of fans of college football who they are the majority won't know.  Case in point, how many people know about Mount Union's dominance in division 3?  Not alot.  Alot of regional people don't know about them.

The remedy isn't marketing or nostalgic marches, and it isn't Tressel.  The answer is winning.  You win, you spend more money and you win some more.  Then when the time is right like it was in the 90's, you move up!  Then you spend more money then you win some more, then you move up to a bigger conference.  One that competes for bowl games and national championships. Now you have name recognition, now you have Opposition Recognition, you have nationally recognizable players, you have something to advertise besides 20 year old flags.  The remedy is not being satisfied with the 5 dollar check.  If this is not something an institution is not prepared to do.  Then that team will be hovering in mediocrity.

I agree with most of the above.  IMO, the most effective things that would increase attendance are:

1. win....and get FREE positive publicity in the local media....and in the national media if you make the post-season
2.  win
3.  win
4.  play teams fans care about....may require a new way of thinking about the schedule.....play away at Ohio MAC teams...consider two blood games.....consider dropping out of the MVFC and replace the NDSU game with another PAID blood game...prolly would be more winnable than NDSU.....The OVC is ranked 5th by Massey in conference strength...consider the OVC and tear your conference-mates apart prior to a nearly guaranteed auto-bid....take the savings in the travel budget and upgrade the coaching staff or facilities or spend it on #5....
5.  If you resort to gimmickery...go all in....fireworks...fly overs....dramatic player entrances onto the field....hell...maybe even have a zip-line from the top of Stambaugh Stadium to a tailgate lot....it must have a "wow"....it must be an experience.....

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »
Too much nostalgia here.  The 70's, 80's and 90's existed in a time when you could watch 3 games on Tv throughout the day, two on Sundays, one on Monday.  Now EVERY game can be seen, all day Saturday and Sunday.  This allows is for people to get their football fix without leaving the comfort of their home, not pay money to be in the elements watching 2nd tier football.   Now I realize that's a sore subject as some think the MVC is the "SEC of FCS football".  To many that's like winning the Superlotto and getting a check for 5 bucks. I'm not saying that an FCS championship is worth 5 bucks, but the majority of causal fans out there think just that.

What sells a football game?  Name recognition?  There is some, but football isn't the first thing that comes to peoples minds when the city of Youngstown is spoken about.  Opposition recognition? very little, 90's Championships? nobody really cares anymore.  Your not gonna put butts in the seats by marching out 20 year old flags.  A flyover wont rattle anybody's windows enough to bring them out from watching Fla. vs Alabama on a 55 inch screen in HD drinking cheaply.  NDSU might win FCS championships hand over fist but ask the majority of fans of college football who they are the majority won't know.  Case in point, how many people know about Mount Union's dominance in division 3?  Not alot.  Alot of regional people don't know about them.

The remedy isn't marketing or nostalgic marches, and it isn't Tressel.  The answer is winning.  You win, you spend more money and you win some more.  Then when the time is right like it was in the 90's, you move up!  Then you spend more money then you win some more, then you move up to a bigger conference.  One that competes for bowl games and national championships. Now you have name recognition, now you have Opposition Recognition, you have nationally recognizable players, you have something to advertise besides 20 year old flags.  The remedy is not being satisfied with the 5 dollar check.  If this is not something an institution is not prepared to do.  Then that team will be hovering in mediocrity.

Excellent excellent post!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 05:11:52 AM »
Furthermore, being you don't live up here, the games on MyYTV are now broadcast in full HD, which makes me wonder why on earth our highlight tapes are not in HD and why the audio is embarrassing on them???

It is embarrassing because the broacast that is available on a national level is not in HD.  It is 1995 quality video on dial up.  I run at 58 Kbps down and 10 up.  I hear what you are saying but It is difficult for me to believe myytv it broadcasting in HD when the video isn't even wide screen.   When I watch other fcs games the quality is much better.  We need to find a way to get the games on espn3.  Espn3 may not be available to most paying customers in the Mahoning valley so many would come to the game if they are worried about ticket sales.  Secondly an HD broadcast will show off out facilities to potential recruits.  That is my point
Also notice how the NDSU radio play by play is incorporated into the highlights
  We don't do that.  Think of recruiting.  Think of the average fan. Put the obligation to support the team on the fans
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:13:24 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »
Power. The one thing to remember about joining another conference is that you will always play to that level ...and recruit to that level. If we join a lesser conference,we will simply have a lesser team. If we move up, we will have a better team.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 07:09:34 AM »
Power. The one thing to remember about joining another conference is that you will always play to that level ...and recruit to that level. If we join a lesser conference,we will simply have a lesser team. If we move up, we will have a better team.

I'm not saying to join another conference?

Offline NatChamps93949597

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am a part time faculty member at YSU in the school of business. Here's my two cents.

If you all want marketing to change, I recommend you contacting this person. http://ysusports.com/information/directory/bios/brown-john

I contacted him last year regarding some basketball marketing ideas I had. Long story short, marketing for bball games got better. He and I do lunch every few months and I share with him suggestions that my section and I come up with to make the games more exciting.

If you have his ear show him this:

1.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjMR8QJJ8-k
2.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnOb4Fu-HHk
3.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSEyXq9XVLI
4.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmzLF6r1UTI

If you don't show him those at least show him this one:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xjqKMrAYbw

We are waaaaaay behind the time in terms of how we project ourselves in the current age of media.  We recruit nationally and we can be seen nationally every week but all of the media is cheap local and substandard.  Recruits can only see what we have available and you never know who it is going to reach.  We need to advertise our facilities on video clips.  We need to show everything in high definition.  Compare anyone of those to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IPtIfnWMhI

There is no comparison.  We need to make videos of our success and share them via social media.  It really gets out there.  It will be shared everywhere. 

Also I would like to point out the subliminal messages in NDSU's season ticket commercial.  They talk about how important the fans are.  We don't mention it in our video.  Fire stretch internet it is substandard.  Somebody needs to take control of this over there.  The local agencies are horrible at advertising.  I could do better with a hand held video camera.  We don't even broadcast in HD.

I'd email or call him: (330) 941-7229 or jbrown01@ysu.edu if I was you.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

I'm not saying to join another conference?

I think this reference was to my comment.

If the MVFC gets only 1 or 2 at-large bids this post-season, than I think that the Athletic Department must understand that the choice is MVFC membership versus post-season.

If YSU joined the OVC and continued to play a quarter of its schedule on non- or partial scholly schools, than yes the SOS would decline and perhaps recruiting would follow. 

However...

What I was suggesting was an innovative schedule in that the "Cupcake" games WERE the conference games, and the OOC games were the more challenging games, as well as more attractive games  to the fans.

The 3-4 OOC games I would recommend would be away games at a combo of Ohio MAC schools (winnable games) and true blood FBS games.  In this model, the SOS may actually improve above the current level, the travel budget would decline, the opponents would generate more fan interest, and there would be more blood game revenue.  The downside is less regular season home games....but...likely more post-season home games....and some "away" games are in Ohio and as close as Akron or Kent.

I think a recruit would love to play for a school that dominates its conference, plays 3-4 FBS (albeit 1-3 are MAC) games a year, and regularly plays in the post-season.

Currently we have 1-2 unpaid blood game-equivalents/year with NDSU and SDSU.  These games mean little to the casual fan.  Mock them all you want, but casual fans pay $$ and buy apparel.  These fans would far prefer games versus Ohio U, or Toledo, or definitely Akron or Kent.

How many decades longer are we going to field teams that would dominate the FCS, but are poorly served by our conference affiliation?  How many decades longer are we going to hope the MVFC finally gets the respect of the playoff selection committee?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
A few additional thoughts:

My daughter is a Freshman at FAU.  I went to the FAU v. Tulsa game a few weeks ago, and this 0-2 (6-6 in 2013) team has a very large student section that was full.

Yes it is a much larger FBS C-USA program with a vibrant campus life and new stadium (from which you can see the Atlantic ocean).  But....there is aggressive attempts to involve the student body that I don't see at YSU.

At FAU, the HC Charlie Partridge (who replaced Pelini) wears red pants in the second half if the student section fills in the first half.  Students get free FAU t-shirts at nearly every game.  Partridge attended the new student orientation and mingled with the students (and approached and took a selfie with my daughter and her suite-mates).  There was a concert and bonfire before the home opener to create hype.

Maybe an apples to oranges comparison in terms of programs,  but the effort doesn't have to be any different.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »
The NDSU videos are great. I have been watching them weekly.. No excuse for us to not have media like that. Im not sure if any of you have to watch the games online, but unfortunately I live in Miami and I am unable to come up every week and watch the games so I have to.. And the stream is very poor, and the audio is worse.. (Yet you have to play 11 dollars a game to watch if you dont have the password if your in the penguin club). These individuals in charge of media need to realize that in today's day it matters to these kids and their families, just like uniforms and new gear matter to them.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »

My daughter is a Freshman at FAU.  I went to the FAU v. Tulsa game a few weeks ago, and this 0-2 (6-6 in 2013) team has a very large student section that was full.

Yes it is a much larger FBS C-USA program with a vibrant campus life and new stadium (from which you can see the Atlantic ocean).  But....there is aggressive attempts to involve the student body that I don't see at YSU.

At FAU, the HC Charlie Partridge (who replaced Pelini) wears red pants in the second half if the student section fills in the first half.  Students get free FAU t-shirts at nearly every game.  Partridge attended the new student orientation and mingled with the students (and approached and took a selfie with my daughter and her suite-mates).  There was a concert and bonfire before the home opener to create hype.

Maybe an apples to oranges comparison in terms of programs,  but the effort doesn't have to be any different.

FAU has been doing a nice job, I live 10 minutes from their stadium!
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »

FAU has been doing a nice job, I live 10 minutes from their stadium!

Hoot Hoot!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »
If you want more causal locals in the seats heres what I think would work.

1. Win

2. Do some things like the Pirates do. What happened to our fireworks games? There's got to be other things like concerts they can do on the field afterwards that would require a game ticket to attend

3. Start looking at what minor league baseball teams do and steal some idea

4. Play someone people have actually heard of.

5. Dunking booth featuring Paladin

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now there is a real sign of desperation,lol

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin