Author Topic: How good is the MVFC  (Read 58807 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: How good is the MVFC
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
I like it. 

I would add North Dakota to the west.  They want to renew the NDSU rivalry.

Add EIU to the East.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2014, 08:58:52 AM »
They want all conferences represented, regardless of actual performance. Otherwise those smaller conferences suffer from lack of exposure. They have a vested interest to keep them relevant.

That is EXACTLY how it should be Happy. EXACTLY. Why would you want it any other way?

The SEC was "allowed" to get away with anything because of $$$ from GE (ABC/ESPN). Now the future of the FBS/IA is "in the crapper". Do you want the same thing to happen to FCS/I-AA?

"IF" that's exactly how it should be then there should be no "b****ING" about the playoff snub. As long as the NCAA want to represent all conferences better teams will suffer and the best team will not get a chance to settle it on the field. I wonder how the playoff's will look at the 1FBS level with the every conference represented LOL!!

Much better if you ask me. Otherwise this year we will see 3 teams from the SEC and one from the PAC-10. NONE from the Big-10. Of course they will hold out for FSU being "for real", but then everyone will complain that the ACC stinks (which it does), etc, etc, etc.. The only solution is equal representation. That is unless you are scared that the MAC and SWAC will win a game.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »
Frankly , hadn't though much about it, but "moving" the entire MVFC  "up" to  FBS is a novel idea that has merits.  Lets face it, I-AA or FCS has been a b@stard child to the NCAA. The tournament selections are criminal many years and the division is a mis-mash of schollie, part schollie and non-schollie teams  with all treated as though they are the same and they are NOT.  That's a major part of the screwing process the NCAA puts to teams like YSU in the division

I'm sure, if the MVFC grandfathered all in, so  no major expense is required  to join the league , it would look attractive. Then reduce a league fee for all new add-ins and you would get some bites on joining. Once in a FBS league, scheduling improves and better quality teams come to town to draw fan interest.  Not to mention opening up the MAC for home & home games with another FBS league (us).

League  rules could set up limitations so costs are controlled,  more "blood" games can be had with FBS teams, and bowl games become a goal.  Food for thought !
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:19:31 AM by paladin »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
Massey ranks the MVFC above the Sun Belt and MAC already......maybe MAC teams could be lured into upgrading to the MVFC.

Let's face it.....we are not getting into the playoffs...so we're not giving that up.

Would again be able to play BIG 10 schools as an FBS conference.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »
They want all conferences represented, regardless of actual performance. Otherwise those smaller conferences suffer from lack of exposure. They have a vested interest to keep them relevant.

That is EXACTLY how it should be Happy. EXACTLY. Why would you want it any other way?

The SEC was "allowed" to get away with anything because of $$$ from GE (ABC/ESPN). Now the future of the FBS/IA is "in the crapper". Do you want the same thing to happen to FCS/I-AA?

"IF" that's exactly how it should be then there should be no "b****ING" about the playoff snub. As long as the NCAA want to represent all conferences better teams will suffer and the best team will not get a chance to settle it on the field. I wonder how the playoff's will look at the 1FBS level with the every conference represented LOL!!

THIS^^^^^^^ 

Best Teams should only compete in the playoffs

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
Massey ranks the MVFC above the Sun Belt and MAC already......maybe MAC teams could be lured into upgrading to the MVFC.

Let's face it.....we are not getting into the playoffs...so we're not giving that up.

Great Point

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »

Great Point

Very true. And there are so many bowl games if you finish .500 you'll likely see the post season.

I wouldnt mind a December game in Texas or Florida.

Wonder how much pushback there would be from the likes of the MAC and Sun Belt if we floated it out to the NCAA?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »

Great Point

Very true. And there are so many bowl games if you finish .500 you'll likely see the post season.

I wouldnt mind a December game in Texas or Florida.

Wonder how much pushback there would be from the likes of the MAC and Sun Belt if we floated it out to the NCAA?

2013 = 2 MVFC teams in the post-season.

We would get at least that in bowl games.  5 MAC teams made it into bowl games in 2013...including 7-5 Ohio U!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »
BTW...the MAC was 0-5 in 2013 bowl appearances......... :D

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
With the MVFC as a FBS league and split into East & West divisions, it would open up hoem games with MAC teams, maybe home and home with maybe Indiana, Northwestern or maybe a Syracuse , Pitt, Army, Navy or Cincinnati. Lots  of options open as a FBS school. Plus your limited MVFC division games.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »

THIS^^^^^^^ 

Best Teams should only compete in the playoffs

I would agree if we did not have regions or conferences. 118 teams going at it ...no affiliations at all.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2014, 10:59:26 AM »
With the MVFC as a FBS league and split into East & West divisions, it would open up hoem games with MAC teams, maybe home and home with maybe Indiana, Northwestern or maybe a Syracuse , Pitt, Army, Navy or Cincinnati. Lots  of options open as a FBS school. Plus your limited MVFC division games.

A MVFC team has won the national championship three years in a row.

In 2014, the MVFC is 23-1 versus the rest of the FCS.

The MVFC is already rated in conference strength by Massey as stronger than 2 current FBS conferences.

The scheduling advantages that Paladin notes are HUGE.

And.....the FCS playoff selection committee becomes irrelevant to us

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »
AND, given the geography   of the MVFC, throw in a TV contract ! Get two 8 team MVFC divisions and play BCS schools the other 4 or 5 games. Marshall, Cincinnati, Pitt, Syracuse, Indiana ,Army, Maryland, WVU, Penn St., Purdue, etc. In fact lots of FBS schools located much closer than the Dakotas or Iowa, travel is shorter, quicker allowing Fans to travel on the road while holding expenses down in the budget.  PLay a few games on TV and make a bowl game. Think attendance would go up ? I do. Think being BCS and "the big time" makes a difference in how folks look at the program ?  I do.

Where's  that b!tch  Viverito ?  Pitch this and get it moving.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:23:06 PM by paladin »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »
Moving the entire conference to FBS is a great idea that fixes lots of issues for the MVFC but this won't happen any time soon.  Here's why:  Minimum attendance requirement for FBS football is an average of 15,000 per game.  NDSU is the only MVFC school meeting that standard right now. MVFC as a conference ranks third in attendance in FCS with a little under 11,000 per game.  (Weather may be a factor here--the two highest conferences are in the South.) UMass, which is regarded as the ghetto of the FBS, still averages over 15,000 per game.

Last year YSU was second in the conference with a little more than 13,000 per game.  Missouri State is having a bit of a run between the current performance of its team and the novelty of its new stadium, but this will fizzle by the end of the next year, sooner if it loses a few conference games.

There's still way too much uncertainty to talk about a move to FBS.  Everyone needs to keep in mind that the current estimate is that proposed changes to the NCAA will cost the top five conferences an average of $3.5 million per school and they are talking about cutting non-revenue sports to make this happen. A movement has started to encourage the presidents to overturn the changes, but the outcome is still uncertain.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »
I can't speak to the dynamics at other MVFC schools, but if YSU rose to the FBS with the MVFC, and played local MAC schools, the surge in attendance would be so significant that stadium expansion would be considered.