Author Topic: Montana just showed the blueprint for beating the Bison  (Read 14497 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Montana just showed the blueprint for beating the Bison
« on: September 20, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »
Establish a passing game early.  Weather the storm. Come out in the second half a run a completely different offense. You can run outside on them if you are fast enough and you can find open seams but the receivers will get hit.  Once you establish the passing game you can run on them.  The key is to change the offense completely.   Don't run the same play twice unless it is successful

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:59:12 PM by penguinpower »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Montana just showed the blueprint for beating the Bison
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
I watched for a while on ESPN3.  NDSU defense is just nasty.....again!!!  Offense could possibly be had this year.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »
I watched for a while on ESPN3.  NDSU defense is just nasty.....again!!!  Offense could possibly be had this year.

I agree their qb wasn't able to make the throws than Jensen could make, but he's young and he will get better. The defense is Nasty

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
Wasn't good enough. Bison keep rolling along even with a weaker team...

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:47:06 PM »
QB has turned it over a bit this year. However, by the time they get us, he will be on the mark.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:05 AM »
Montana, the #4 team in FCS never led in this game. They lost 22-10. How on Earth did they show the blueprint for beating NDSU? They may have showed the blueprint for putting a scare into NDSU, but I fail to see how never leading in the game, and being held scoreless in the 2nd half revealed a blueprint for beating NDSU.

Remember, this was the #4 team in FCS that faced the Bison on Saturday.

Of course NDSU can be beaten. ANY team can be beaten. And, it would not surprise me if NDSU were to lose a game in the MVFC this season. Just not sure how this game provided a blue print on how to beat NDSU? If anything, this game showed how well the coaching staff and players can adjust at halftime, and then put those adjustments to work in the 2nd half. It also proved NDSU once again has a great defense.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 10:27:38 AM »
I watched the entire game.   NDSU is vulnerable this year.  We are better than Montana on the LOS on both sides of the ball.  Montana has a better QB than us and he was able to extend plays but we will be able to provide better protection to ours.  They also have one exceptional skill guy but we have multiple good skill guys.  Overall we are better and match up better and we are better equipped to beat NDSU. 

NDSU's qb had all day to throw and he missed people.  They are hiding their qb's weaknesses in their run game. They dont let him make the throws they let Jensen take. 

NDSU's defense showed vulnerability on the edge and deep down the middle.   Montana had the right game plan but they didn't have the horses.  Now that I've had the opportunity to watch several ranked teams and top 10 teams I realize how well we stack up against the best and the news is very good.   Our biggest issue will be depth and piss poor management of the game.  As long as we can stay healthy going into play the best teams in the Valley we have a chance to get through with excellent results.  Our kids just need to believe it, which up to this point under Wolford it appears they start doubting when faced with adversity. 
The Missouri Valley is heads and shoulders better than anyone else.  The road to the national championship goes through the valley and we have a chance.   

BTW I can't believe I just wrote that but I had a night to sleep on it and I am still thinking the same way.  We still have to eliminate the defensive lapses and play an entire game....
That still holds true.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:41:36 AM by penguinpower »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
The Missouri Valley is the BEST CONFERENCE in FCS... My issue with that is why we do receive no love when it comes to Playoff Time, like last year! If the MVFC is the best than why they hell did only 2 teams make it in. When the CAA I believe had 4 get in, and if you looked at alot of the teams in the playoffs, the Penguins were alot better... Guys, take this in, Butler was in the playoffs last year!!! NDSU is a well oiled machine.. But they can be beat. We have the weapons and talent to score against any team in FCS, it's a matter of will we use them appropriately and to our full potential! The players will go out their and give their all, but it is also important that these kids be put in the right situations.. We need to stay healthy! Our defense will get better and better as the season progresses. I hoping that come November 22 we will be gelling very well as a team, and the defense will be ready to face that NDSU attack. On that note, let's not forget, we did go into their house and take them down 3 years ago! And there are alot of players that enjoy playing in that environment, as my brother expressed his excitement to be able to go back in to their house for the last game of the season this year! Let's Go Guins!  fb
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
I'm noticing a trend with these posts. People appear to be saying many of the same things that were said the last 3 years. And, in each of those 3 years, YSU failed to do what it took to make the playoffs, and also to finish in the top 2 of the MVFC. Several players have come and gone. Assistant coach's have been replaced. So, to me, it loks like a question of whether or not Wolford is up to the task of being the HC of a top 2-3 team in what is arguably the best FCS Conference in the country.

I'm a bit skeptical of all the glowing comments. One reason is that there has been a severe drop-off for YSU at the QB position. Some will say Hess was a "system QB", but it is hard to deny he was one of the best QB's to ever play for YSU.

Also, under Wolford, scoring points has never been the problem. The problems have been defense, special teams, clock management, halftime adjustments, converting on 3rd or 4th down on key possessions. For at least the last 3 seasons, on paper, YSU has had the talent to compete with any team in FCS. They proved that in 2011 by giving NDSU their only loss that season, and doing so in Fargo in game #10. Then, YSU promptly returned home, and lost to a Missouri State team that entered the game 1-9/1-6, costing the team a playoff berth.

In 2012, YSU started the season with a win at PITT. That was not a great PITT team, but they did play in a bowl game. YSU started the season 4-0, and beat UNI. Yes, that was a sub-par UNI team. But, it was the first win over UNI since 2000. The team then proceeded to lose all 4 games they played in October. YSU finished with a record of 7-4/4-4 and 6th place in the MVFC.

Last season, YSU was 8-1/5-0 entering a game at UNI. The Panthers were a team decimated by injuries, and a team which had lost their first 5 MVFC games. They entered the game with a record of 4-5/0-5. YSU led 14-3 at halftime and 14-6 after 3 qtrs, only to lose 22-20. UNI drove 56 yards in 15 plays, using up the final 4:41 of the game, and kicking the winning FG on the final play of the game.

The following week, YSU lost at home to NDSU by a score of 35-17. The loss set up what was essentially a playoff game, at home, against SDSU. A game that YSU lost 42-13

After 4 games, and given the teams YSU has played, it is hard to get a good gauge on this team. However, it appears that ALL of the same issues with regards to Wolford on game day are issues again this year. It also appears that once again, YSU has an offense with enough weapons to score 20-30 points per game. And, it appears once again, the team has a pass defense that cannot stop any team with a decent QB and at least 1 quality receiver. YSU is going to face several teams that have shown an ability to pass the ball effectively, and put points on the board. And, the worst defense YSU will face over the next 8 games will be better than the best defense YSU has faced the last 3 weeks. So, please exscuse me if I am taking a "wait and see" attitude as the team prepares to start play in the MVFC. We have witnessed this script before, under both Wolford, and EVERY time, the story has not ended well for YSU.  :-\ :(

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 02:09:03 PM »
If the mistakes you all talk about, and we continue to every season are not corrected in the bye week.  The Missouri Valley will eat our lunch.  6-6.  We could easily lose 5 of the final 8 games.  The stupid mistakes have to stop.  Defensive lapses and poor clock management is not going to cut it against teams in our league.  Play-offs! Sorry I don't see it.  We pissed away the Illinois game, and then played the three patsies where I didn't see anything we did give me any hope of the playoffs with what is coming in the upcoming schedule.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
I'd have to disagree with you "lets_talk" in regards to "1" quality reciever? Thats a little blunt..
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »
Blunt doesnt mean its wrong.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
I'd have to disagree with you "lets_talk" in regards to "1" quality reciever? Thats a little blunt..
I think he means an opposing team with a good qb and a team with @ least 1 quality receiver will give our pass defense trouble.I could be wrong but I think you were interpreting his comment to mean that YSU has 1 quality receiver.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
I'm noticing a trend with these posts. People appear to be saying many of the same things that were said the last 3 years. And, in each of those 3 years, YSU failed to do what it took to make the playoffs, and also to finish in the top 2 of the MVFC. Several players have come and gone. Assistant coach's have been replaced. So, to me, it loks like a question of whether or not Wolford is up to the task of being the HC of a top 2-3 team in what is arguably the best FCS Conference in the country.

I'm a bit skeptical of all the glowing comments. One reason is that there has been a severe drop-off for YSU at the QB position. Some will say Hess was a "system QB", but it is hard to deny he was one of the best QB's to ever play for YSU.

Also, under Wolford, scoring points has never been the problem. The problems have been defense, special teams, clock management, halftime adjustments, converting on 3rd or 4th down on key possessions. For at least the last 3 seasons, on paper, YSU has had the talent to compete with any team in FCS. They proved that in 2011 by giving NDSU their only loss that season, and doing so in Fargo in game #10. Then, YSU promptly returned home, and lost to a Missouri State team that entered the game 1-9/1-6, costing the team a playoff berth.

In 2012, YSU started the season with a win at PITT. That was not a great PITT team, but they did play in a bowl game. YSU started the season 4-0, and beat UNI. Yes, that was a sub-par UNI team. But, it was the first win over UNI since 2000. The team then proceeded to lose all 4 games they played in October. YSU finished with a record of 7-4/4-4 and 6th place in the MVFC.

Last season, YSU was 8-1/5-0 entering a game at UNI. The Panthers were a team decimated by injuries, and a team which had lost their first 5 MVFC games. They entered the game with a record of 4-5/0-5. YSU led 14-3 at halftime and 14-6 after 3 qtrs, only to lose 22-20. UNI drove 56 yards in 15 plays, using up the final 4:41 of the game, and kicking the winning FG on the final play of the game.

The following week, YSU lost at home to NDSU by a score of 35-17. The loss set up what was essentially a playoff game, at home, against SDSU. A game that YSU lost 42-13

After 4 games, and given the teams YSU has played, it is hard to get a good gauge on this team. However, it appears that ALL of the same issues with regards to Wolford on game day are issues again this year. It also appears that once again, YSU has an offense with enough weapons to score 20-30 points per game. And, it appears once again, the team has a pass defense that cannot stop any team with a decent QB and at least 1 quality receiver. YSU is going to face several teams that have shown an ability to pass the ball effectively, and put points on the board. And, the worst defense YSU will face over the next 8 games will be better than the best defense YSU has faced the last 3 weeks. So, please exscuse me if I am taking a "wait and see" attitude as the team prepares to start play in the MVFC. We have witnessed this script before, under both Wolford, and EVERY time, the story has not ended well for YSU.  :-\ :(

I don't disagree with you.  I agree completely, but my point was that we have the talent.  Everything else is the problem.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
DavedS,

First off, it is she.

As for my comment about 1 quality receiver, I do not think the QB for the opposing team needs to be anything special. Just a solid FCS QB. Said QB will need more than 1 person to whom they can throw the ball, but only 1 of the receivers needs to be really good/All Conference caliber. A really good receiver who runs solid routes can find the holes in the defense to be able to catch 7-10 passes. And, the QB can even throw into coverage and have the receiver go up and get the ball if said receiver is tall.

Add in some swing passes to the RB out of the backfield, and a few every day type FCS level receivers, and the YSU defense turns into swiss cheese. Especially if the team has a tight end who can catch. YSU gets killed by the tight end over/up the middle of the field. That seems to be a tough route for even the best of defenses to cover.

This is just my opinion based off watching YSU play for several years. Make that multiple decades. I never played or coached football, so I could be wrong.