Author Topic: Hunter Wells  (Read 13559 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Hunter Wells
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:48 PM »
I know we played Butler, but this kid had a thorough grasp of our offense,  was poised, had good vision and throws a good deep ball.  He needs to play.  He also needs to gain weight.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter Wells
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
Probably a good team to have your first start against, I thought that he did a very nice job
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »
I agree, he looked very poised and throws a good ball. Definitely needs to get stronger, but he's not afraid to sling it around. I like that!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
He has much better arc on his throws compared to Nania's line drive throws. I don't dislike Nania, I just feel we have more upside on offense with Wells. The kid had some great long passes today right on the money.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »
Watch what happens when he has to play against good MVFC teams.

It WAS Butler. And next is St. Frank. He is going to get exposed. Had no pass  rush  to worry about, poor DBs who couldn't match up with  the WRs  and he threw  NO deep balls. Mostly short. The coaches will try to keep him in short throws but he will face some difficult match ups. Then "rate" him.

Any of our QBs ( good or bad) would have beat Butler.

Stay tuned.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »
Pally the kid is a frosh.  He threw a few deep balls..connected on the 70+ td.  College football QB doesnt need a cannon.  Its about read and get it out out of your hand quickly ...one thing Hess did was holding on to the ball to long. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
It is almost always stupid to play two quarterbacks in a game by design.  However, if there ever was an exception to that rule, this might be it.  Simply put, Nania cannot be the starter because he is injury-prone and, with significant play, will get knocked out of action sooner rather than later.  Unfortunate, but that is how it is.  However, he could be a valuable weapon if he is injected into a game to change the tempo or to capitalize on an opponent's vulnerability against the run.

My concern is a repetition of last year.  Nania returns, plays the entire game for several weeks, then gets knocked out for the season right in the middle of conference play.  We then throw Wells, or Davis, or whoever into the lineup after they have been sitting for a month.  No chance then.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »
Hunter Wells ball placement and his ability to take something off his throws is really impressive. On 2 of the td passes to J.B. wells was under pressure and there was very good coverage on J.B. he put it right on the money. Needless to say the 55 yard throw into a strong wind proves something (probably could've thrown 65) some people on this forum still like to question his arm strength and accuracy. Let it be known he can throw the the rope ball and the long ball and just not the rain bows. And yes he throws the arc ball for a reason and is really good at it. Where the coaches go with Wells is anyones guess. I'm taking into consideration this was Butler but you have to like what you see from the true freshman to this point. He was a proven leader in high school and showed that yesterday..why some people are out to prove Wells wrong I'll never know!! 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »
Could not have been said any better.

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »
Was at all 3 games so far this year  so far and was at 3 total games last year,  seems like the offense in this past game with Wells at QB was more comparable to the offense YSU ran last year with Hess, whereas the offense the first 2 games with Nania was designed to play to Nania's strengths!  It looked to me that Wells definitely was able to grasp the offense as several times seen him making completions to his 3rd and 4th reads!  I know as a Senior he was able to call audibles at line of scrimmage depending on what defense gave him and called the line protection on every passing play!  He attempted over a 1,000 passes in his high school career and has seen almost every coverage and defense possible, I think with Montgomery's knowledge to teach him this complicated offense in the future and Hunter's ability to grasp it, the sky is the limit!  YSU seems like their strengths are the O-line and the skill at WR and RB to make people miss and make plays in open field, the QB just needs to manage the game and I think that is exactly what Wells did yesterday!  He only missed on 6 attempts and Stubbs dropped a very catchable ball that would have been a TD that ended in a FG!  I forget what WR it was but someone was tackled inside the 1 yd line on a reception and 3 run plays later we kicked another FG!  With any breaks at all he throws for 5 maybe 6 TDs and over 300 yards!  I understand it was Butler who struggled with Wittenberg, but 16-22-297-4TDs; that's what your supposed to do to Butler as an 18 year freshman!  Two quarterback system definitely seems like a necessity more than a possibility!  Many of you guys have made good points, and look forward to more conversation on this topic!  I said in previous post (after his signing dayl) that I figured Wells would have an impact on YSU football in the future just didn't think it would be the 3rd week his freshman year!

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
Hunter is a great qb. Will go down as the best in ysu history. Book it.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
Hunter is a great qb. Will go down as the best in ysu history. Book it.
Our friend from Logan, OH is still bitter his boy Patrick Angle did not pan out here at YSU.

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 09:04:52 PM »
Watch what happens when he has to play against good MVFC teams.

It WAS Butler. And next is St. Frank. He is going to get exposed. Had no pass  rush  to worry about, poor DBs who couldn't match up with  the WRs  and he threw  NO deep balls. Mostly short. The coaches will try to keep him in short throws but he will face some difficult match ups. Then "rate" him.

Any of our QBs ( good or bad) would have beat Butler.

Stay tuned.

I agree any of QBs could have probably beaten Butler, but the fact of the matter is he only had 6 incompletions and 1 was a drop, he did exactly what he as a QB is supposed to do against a weaker opponent!     
     He has a lot of work to do, and as someone said earlier he needs to gain some weight and get stronger which I sure he will this offseason!  His long TD throw was over 50 yards in the air into a very strong wind, how much further do you really need to throw a football?  Did you see his post game interview?  Seems like he has his stuff together, wouldn't give the media any answers they wanted to hear!  The 6th year WR spoke highly of Wells in his post game interview also, that is an important part of how this team will develop as the year progresses!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
Simply put, Nania cannot be the starter because he is injury-prone and, with significant play, will get knocked out of action sooner rather than later.  Unfortunate, but that is how it is.

Understood, but so have Berassa, Nwadiogbu, Brown, Childs, D'Alesio and Wheary to name a few.
Injuries happen, but it seems the blame is focused more on the player than the sport.
Am I missing something?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
ScarletRook,

In no way am I criticizing Nania.  I like the passion with which he plays.  I'm sure that he trains and conditions as well or better than other players.  But some people just get injured more often than others.  And for me it is hard to start a kid at quarterback that is likely, based upon past history, to sustain a serious injury before we are deep into conference play. 

In regards to Wells, our resident football guru had assured us that the kid had an average arm.  I expected to see the ball fluttering repeatedly into that strong crosswind on Saturday.  That did not happen.  It must have been an aberration.  After all our guru is never wrong.