Author Topic: Wolf's Contract  (Read 15347 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Wolf's Contract
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
Just read the details and terms of Wolf's contract extension ( and buy-out clauses) and something jumped out at me. I'm too lazy to do the research, but someone tell me when the NCAA's show cause order expires on Tressel.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf's Contract
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
After next season.  Are you thinking JT is going to become head coach in addition to being President?

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
December 19, 2016. This season and 2 more full seasons.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:23:48 PM by mayor »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »
 Vindy said he can be bought out EVEN if he makes the playoffs this year . Sets different terms for different scenarios to buy him out but he really only gets one more  year  after this season and they can buy him   out after this season. Sure gets close to the end of the NCAA's show cause order on Tressel. Who is to say JT wants to stay as Prez if he'd like to coach again ?  Technically he has made a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ already, set for life.  Wolf's salary and coaching again may be easy for him to give up the Prez job and do what he loves to do.  The buyout on Wolf contract is odd and the show cause order is real close to that time.         
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:54:37 PM by paladin »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
Why would anyone waste time talking about JT ever coaching again, let us all just hope that he can become the best president YSU ever had.

As far as Wolfs contract, no playoffs no extension. What the heck does 1 extra year do anyway?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:08:39 PM »
What a pointless topic. YSU being aligned with MAC schools with Tressel as President is 100x more likely.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22:02 AM »
Having this discussion can only hurt recruiting and it displays instability to everyone outside of Youngstown State.   Yes he is a public figure and the terms and conditions of employment are public,  but as a football fan how can this help the program?

JT is not going to coach Paladin.   You are on a pipe dream and lack rational thought if you truly believe the possibility that he will coach here. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »
December 19, 2016. This season and 2 more full seasons.
You are correct.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 10:29:27 PM »
Tressel will never coach again.

Wolford should have been fired in November.  The sooner this caveman is gone the better.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 12:01:26 AM »
I re-read the Vindy article on Wolf's contract extension again. It expires 2-28-16. He was under contract for this season so he only gets a ONE year extension. However , this contract was made  retro to Mar. 1 , 2014.  No raise in pay. Basically if Wolf goes 7-5 & no playoffs the buyout for 2015 season is is $100k. If he goes 8-4, no playoffs, its $150k.. For a 9-3 season , no playoffs its $200k. If he makes the playoffs, its a buyout of $213,894 plus his TV & radio money. The contract DOESN'T cover him for the 2016 season. Just '14 & '15.  Check the Vindy site for the article on Wolf's contract.

He's in trouble.  Tressel will pick the next coach. You heard it here first.

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »
This topic should be locked. I can think of no topic in the recent past which has the potential to cause more damage to the program, or sow seeds of frustration and doubt, from the top of the administration to the bottom of the coaching staff. After only the first game of the season someone thinks Tressel should be the next coach? Please???? Jim will be the best he is where he is. for himself and the institution. Hate Wolford? fine! No problem, but talk of canning him after the first game? Let's wait 'til we lose to St. Francis before we get out the pitchforks and somebody grabs a noose. I wonder what fans of other teams think when they read posts like this? This is more embarrassing than Vindy's print of J.T. crossing the Mahoning.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
yes that print in the Vindy is pretty bad ...LOL Glad I am not the only one that feels that way. It is a good topic of conversation ...the Valley is starting to become more educated.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »
Tressel crossing the mahoning is the perfect insinuation as too what the perception is.  Youngstown is a town that wants to be "led out" than change by doing something different.  One could waste time trying to go back to the 90's or they could look forward.  Sure there may be outrage expressed here, but the number of people that loved that print outweighs those that hated it.  As far as Wolf is concerned, and how this forum is damaging...Firstly no "other school"  or "recruit" is reading this message board.  Secondly at some point, somebody is going to have to realize that with the newly formed superFBS, writing their own rules and regs and making GOBS of money.  That mid major DI schools recruiting pool just dried up a bit.  That means low major programs also dried up, which means I-AA's recruiting pool just got very..."interesting".  contract buyouts and Tressel coaching ideas are swabbing the deck on the titanic.   If things don't change from "what YSU used to do"  then they might as well cancel the football program.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »
Since Scalzo doesn't say what happens if Wolf goes 6-6 or worse, let me speculate -- the one year extension WITH BUYOUT only applies to the stated season records. Failing to  get 7-5 or better ( or makes the playoffs) may leave  YSU with the option to fire Wolf with NO BUYOUT, the "extension" not withstanding. That may be what the hold-up was to getting the contract signed. If it was ( and I suspect it might have been ), then the staff is on notice they are gone after this season if YSU wishes. It sets up a curious scenario in which someone "might" elect to "pee in the punchbowl". There is no incentive to develop a QB. Nania sure isn't the future here but may now get all the play time keeping the rest without experience and burning up next season. This might change my outlook on who plays QB this season.

I'm not suggesting that Tressel is the next coach, merely questioning the timing on all this. If Tressel wants to stay as Prez, he'll get to. If he wants to give it up and coach, this Valley will give him just about  anything he wants.

I like Wolf but he has rubbed many people the wrong  way and his  mouth has gotten him into trouble several times. Recruiting improved , but the lack  of a D has killed him and playoff chances here. Poor DCs are his legacy . Attendance has fallen ( butts in seats). There is a lack or respect for what was once a Cadillac program, even though he produces winning seasons. I suspect the AD, as bad as he is, is getting heat , which led to these terms on the "extension". And , I agree, what is discussed here doesn't impact recruits  or other teams. The season just got more interesting with the revelation of the "extension" terms.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
Today's "new" story in the Vindy by Scalzo on the contract "extension" explains a "miscommunication" YSU gave him.  ;D  ;D  ;D.

Sure !
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:41:22 PM by paladin »