Author Topic: QB Situation  (Read 11815 times)

Offline MrGuin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
QB Situation
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
I love Nania, he's a scrappy player but he has limitations as a QB. I would like to see Wells play the next 3 games, so he gets some experience and let the coaches get him ready for MVFC play. They could use Nania as a change of pace QB maybe put in a "Wildcat" package. Wells probably gives us the best chance to win the tough games.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: QB Situation
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »
What happened to Ricky Davis?  He has a year in the system and in the spring game looked like he could throw much better that Nania, is taller, and seems quick. Is he in the dog house?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
What happened to Ricky Davis?  He has a year in the system and in the spring game looked like he could throw much better that Nania, is taller, and seems quick. Is he in the dog house?

He's been very inconsistent during fall camp. Up and down every single day. Seems like he's in the doghouse for now...

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:52:09 PM »
Relax. See my earlier comments about the QB situation. They will be 3-1 over the first 4 games as the weenie contests kick in.  Davis should see time and probably   become the starter . Coaches don't want to burn the red shirt year of Wells  and if you think its bad now at QB, let me clue you-- it gets a whole lot worse with a true Frosh at QB who has no experience, limited skills ( been telling you that) and would "wilt" under fire. Fumbles, INTs and not made to take hits.

Next 3 games the QB are going to look "better".  ;D

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »
Paladin,

If we don't have injuries and we progress on both sides of the ball as the year moves on we are definitely a playoff team.  The new DC has made a significant improvement over there
  I glad he got rid of that bum Tresey.  Montgomery will progress the QB to make him more effective.   We are definitely a top 25 team probably #12 in the FCS at this point.  There aren't many teams outside the Valley that could match up with our lines.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »
Relax. See my earlier comments about the QB situation. They will be 3-1 over the first 4 games as the weenie contests kick in.  Davis should see time and probably   become the starter . Coaches don't want to burn the red shirt year of Wells  and if you think its bad now at QB, let me clue you-- it gets a whole lot worse with a true Frosh at QB who has no experience, limited skills ( been telling you that) and would "wilt" under fire. Fumbles, INTs and not made to take hits.

Next 3 games the QB are going to look "better".  ;D
Just an FYI...Ricky was moved to 3rd string the 2nd day of camp, August 2nd, where he remains. He receives no reps in practice and hasn't since the 2nd scrimmage (and those were with the 3rd string). So if he is called on, will he be up to speed? He has since ask to play special teams to help the team and was told no. He has been jumping in with the WR's, a position he has never played, and has looked pretty good. He will do whatever is ask of him. He loves his teammates, coaches, and his school.

Nobody knows what happened or why but Hunter Wells is your next guy. It looks like that was the plan all along. As far as Ricky being inconsistent in practice, he has some work to do, but you have to remember, he ran the scout team last year, he never ran YSU's offense until spring ball and did a good job then. If you look at the 2nd scrimmage film this year, he was graded on only 6 plays while working with the 3rd string and nobody knew where to go or what to do. Of the 6 plays, every ball he did throw had to be thrown away because of a bad route or they were covered. As far as Hunters completions, all but 2 were behind the line of scrimmage (screens and dump passes) and his incompleted deep throws max out at 45 yards with no accuracy, so how he gives us the best chance to throw the ball this year is beyond me, but i would like to see it.

Regardless, love YSU Football and wish them the very best this year.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:57:17 PM »
You have organized the problem with Wells accurately -- NO ARM. They confine him to short throws for that reason. He lacks accuracy deep. He lacks anticipation. So far he has been protected from a real game where lots of his faults would show up as well as risk serious injury as he is weak physically. Is he able to manage a game ?  ;D  That's when the comedy of errors begin.  Redshirt.

Next 3 games they have lots of time to play everyone, QBs included. I'll be surprised   if they are dumb enough to burn Wells redshirt but expect to see Davis and Garry play after Nania. Wargo No. Wells no. Davis, for whatever reason, is in the doghouse.

The truth is and I've been trying to warn everyone for months now ( in fact since last season was over with), is that this is a weak year at QB for YSU.  Nania is only partly exposed now. There are better teams in the MVFC than Illini. He is risky for a pass game and they need someone to step up and start who can throw.

Spotlight is on over the next 3 games.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
My guess is wells made his mark in the summer before camp ever began. At some point Montgomery will have to throw down the field from the pocket. You can't assume the defense and running game will be clicking on all cylinders week in and week out. The quarterback draws and short passing game will only be effective so long. Given Nania's height it's a cause for concern. Several blind spots in the passing lanes and a higher percentage of batted down balls. I do agree with Paladin the next 3 games will tell us a lot..it will be very interesting to say the least !!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
The coaching staff feels Wells can be something special.  I think Coach M who tutored Baby Ben and Charlie Fry knows more than Mr Negative naysayer Pally.  I bet the same naysayer probably said the same things about Hess years ago.  I trust the Montgomery on this.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »
For the record, I never had negative comments about Hess except for the fact he was a system QB. And I predicted much of his and the teams success. I missed on my call for them to make the playoffs last year, but everyone miss that call as they folded late.

While Montgomery  gets credit for a good O, I'd be careful  about his talent evaluation. Everyone thought Wargo was the next "coming".  I said wasted schollie......................... "yawn". Everyone thought Nania would be the answer. I've told you BEFORE the season started he had issues ( and some you have yet to see). Montgomery had "some" better players ( but not all)  AT ONE POINT  in other programs, but he's HERE now. There isn't anything special about Wells except the hype that gets promoted on here.  You'll get to see first hand how it all plays out. Grab some popcorn, coach ysugo. The comedy  show is just getting started.

QB now remains a weak position

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
YSUGO,

It is pointless to attempt to carry on any dialogue with Paladin.  He will mock and belittle you if you dare to disagree with him.  He actually believes that he knows more about football than Shane Montgomery, Eric Wolford, Jim Tressel, or any other coach on this planet.  Look up the psychological definition of "narcissism."  Paladin's picture will be right next to it.

Back to the topic at hand.  The terms of Wolford's contract enable a reasonable buyout if he fails again.  Even though the team is too young, Wolford cannot build for the future.  He needs his best option at qb for every game.  That explains Nania for the opener.  If Wells plays in the next three weeks, it will be the result of a careful decision made by coaches whose jobs are on the line.  It should be perfectly clear that you don't make a true freshman the backup qb unless you project him as the starter later in the season.  So if Wells sees the field it will be because, as YSUGO suggested, the coaches feel he is "something special."

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
As others have stated, the next three weeks will tell if Wells is the "true" number 2 QB or if he is just listed that way on the depth chart.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
Wolf just said they have no reservation playing Wells and about 10 days prior to making a decision, they had Wells as their #1. Wolford went onto say that Davis is still getting reps at QB and at WR, so he could be a weapon if they opted for a trick play at some point.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »
Valley,

Did you hear that on the radio show?

ValleyTalk

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 10:46:16 PM »
Valley,

Did you hear that on the radio show?