Author Topic: Will Mahone  (Read 12856 times)

Offline CommodoreSteel

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Will Mahone
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »
Sources close to the situation have told me there is mutual interest between ousted Notre Dame player and Austintown Fitch Star Will Mahone and YSU. I have been told he would play Outside Linebacker for the Penguin defense.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Will Mahone
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
Hmm interesting.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
I don't want him. It is clear he needs to fix his alcohol problem before any college considers adding him to their football team.

I question Judge D'Apolito's slap on the wrist judgment for Mr. Mahone. If he clearly turns things around, then perhaps he is worthy of a second chance.

However, right now??? Far too soon IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:58:49 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Everybody deserves a 2nd chance but I agree he should have gotten a tougher punishment.... My question, OLB? Really? He played that last what, junior yr high school? Maybe a little senior yr? No thanks.

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
He did his time, lets give him a chance.  The more FITCH guys, the better!!  lol
Go Penguins!!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:27:16 PM »
YSU has welcomed kids with waaaaaaaaaaay worse backgrounds with open arms.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
The most important thing for Will Mahone, is that he have his life in order. NO FOOTBALL in 2014. PERIOD!!!!! At this point, football is SECOND. So, if he wants to play at YSU, have him enroll for Fall Semester and pay his own way. At the end of the semester, have Wolford get together with Mahone, and see how Will has done academically, and how things are going OFF the field. Make sure he has the alcohol issues and anger issues resolved.

Provided everything seems to be going well, let him onto the team and participate in Spring Practice, but without a scholarship. Have him EARN the scholarship by proving he has his life under control. If his off field issues are not taken care of, then he is of no use to himself, let alone YSU football. And, the last thing this kid needs is to have people be "enablers", and then wind up like Kelly Pavlik.

I could be wrong, but when Louis Irizarry(sorry if spelling is wrong) came to YSU, he was not immediately allowed onto the football team and given a scholarship. He had to prove to the coaching staff he was DESERVING of a scholarship, and that he had gotten his life in order off the field. And, to his credit, he did this, then went on to be a nice player for YSU. I have no idea how things are going for Louis now. I hope he is doing well, because in the few times I met him when he was in high school, he seemed like a good kid. Obviously, he made a series of poor decisions at OSU that led to him being dismissed from the team. This kind of thing happens.

I'm also curious as to whether or not he had any interest in returning to ND? I know the QB from the team which played in the BCS Title game got into trouble, and was kicked out of school, and off the team. He went to another school in South Bend, met all of the criteria he was required to meet in order to return to ND and to the football team, and he is now back at ND and was named the starter for the upcoming season. Was this option offered to Will? If it was, is it something he did not want to pursue? Or, was this not an option for him with ND?

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
Any word if he's with the TEAM yet? Or enrolled in classes?

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
Spot on Nova. But we won................ :-*

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:09:37 PM »
I wouldn't call this twitter source "reliable," but I am posting it for discussions sake. Everyone knows my opinion on this:

@CLEisTheReSZN: Will Mahone, recent Notre Dame running back left ND because of suspension. He now joins the YSU Penguins in D1AA in pursuit of another ship

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »
I did hear is part of the TEAM, now.

Offline JesusLovesTheGuins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 09:42:26 AM »
He's enrolled in classes and is a walk on member of the team.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »
Can't hurt to have him as a member of the team, even as a walk on. Talented kid so he can push the younger guys.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
It was confirmed on the news @ noon that he has enrolled @ YSU and will be a walk-on.