Author Topic: Penguins to Visit West Virginia in 2016  (Read 6152 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Penguins to Visit West Virginia in 2016
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:38:25 AM »
The Youngstown State football team will play its first contest with West Virginia on Sept. 10, 2016, at Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown, both schools announced on Friday.

The contest will be the Penguins' first-ever match-up with a program from Big 12 Conference. It will also be the Guins' first football game in the state of West Virginia since playing at Marshall in November 2001.

YSU opens the 2014 campaign at Illinois on August 30. The time for the contest has not been determined.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins to Visit West Virginia in 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
Tough game. You don't just walk into Milan Puskar Stadium and steal a game from the Mountaineers...:)

It appears WVU's Stadiums namesake graduated from YSU.......who would have guessed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Puskar
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:32:43 PM by Pizza »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
Where is our donation?

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:48:08 PM »
Where is our donation?

I'm sure Mr. Strollo and his staff are "all over" this info and will use it to assist in marketing the game and getting a small "token" donation from the Puskar family "riches". I'm sure that donation to YSU was a simple oversight by them over the last 40 years. :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:49:21 PM by Pizza »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:38:25 PM »
How much is the pay day?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »
I think that we will take less for both games in both 2016 and 2018 ...which is why we are not hearing any figures. I understand that Liberty is receiving $325k for their 2015 game at WVa. Seems kind of low to me. Let's see if we can find out how much they paid Towson State last year.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »
I think that we will take less for both games in both 2016 and 2018 ...which is why we are not hearing any figures. I understand that Liberty is receiving $325k for their 2015 game at WVa. Seems kind of low to me. Let's see if we can find out how much they paid Towson State last year.
False.

The Charleston Daily Mail published an article on this a week ago. YSU will be getting $500,000 for the trip to Morgantown.

Full details are here: http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20140624/DM03/140629603

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »
Yep, it's 500K

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 09:36:49 AM »
Thanks Valley. Although I do not see how what I said was false. I did not give a figure ;) I simply published what an article said that they are paying Liberty. I do think that we would have taken less for two games. W&M lost late to WVa last year and were in control of the entire game prior to that. That places a lot of pressure on us.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:23 PM »
I have a bit of an "outside the box" idea for scheduling a road game against an FBS team(or whatever that division is now called?). It is an idea I think might help with recruiting, and also give YSU a winnable game. The idea is play at UNLV. Not sure how much UNLV pays, but I know last year they played Western Illinois here.

They schedule 1 FCS team each year, and a they do not limit it to just teams out West. Like I said, not sure what UNLV would pay YSU, but it could make for a nice roadtrip for fans. Plus, there are plenty of Ytown area transplants living here.

I think it would be wise for YSU to look into playing basketball here in Vegas. This area has very good high school basketball. It is also close to California. They could play UNLV and  couple that game with a road game with Southern Utah as part of a home-home series. I know a kid from Bishop Gorman, the top team in the NIAA and a program which plays teams from other states signed to play at Akron starting in 2014-15. He picked Akron over Milwaukee and UT Martin. So obviously Akron is recruiting out here, as is HL member Milwaukee. Kid is a point guard, who averaged  16 points, 7.1 assists and 3.1 steals per game as a Senior. There are also a few early season, multi-team tournaments here in Vegas. Again, would be a nice trip for fans, nice trip for the team, and give coach's a chance to recruit Southern Nevada, Arizona and California.

Before I get jumped on by other posters, these are just IDEAS!!! I'm NOT saying these ideas have not been looked at by Strollo, Wolford, Slocum. Just wondering, and thinking of something different for YSU in terms of scheduling for basketball and football. Also, YSU Mens golf team played about 60 miles or so from Vegas this past Spring. I'm guessing Tony Joy looked at it as something different than just going down South, as is common for YSU and other teams back East. I also realize this thread is about the football schedule, but I see no reason it cannot be about scheduling in general.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:15:24 PM by Lets_Talk »