Author Topic: Vindy Coverage of YSU  (Read 20136 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Vindy Coverage of YSU
« on: June 04, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
IAA Fan,

You and the sports editor from the Vindicator are assuming that my jibe against a "journalist" from that paper was targeted towards a sports writer.  That is not the case.  My target was the well-known YSU hater Bertram de Souza, a man who has slandered the university for decades with his lies, half-truths, and misinformation.  That is a fact that your father understands perfectly well.  I should not have assumed that everyone would have automatically made the connection.  But Paladin and de Souza are the most prolific YSU haters in the universe.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Vindy Coverage of YSU
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
This is not a YSU media coverage topic, but JJ & Wick, would you rather go back to Vindy Sundays of Steelers #1, the Browns #2, ranked IA teams #3, high-school weekly recap #4, then YSU lumped in with page containing scores and 1 paragraph small-school recaps?

This is the Youngstown Vindicator ...not the WSJ.

Can I start a thread about how bad the Vindicator's coverage of YSU is?

The Vindy is seen as a laughing stalk around the Horizon League. Oakland's coach called out Scalzo after some of the remarks he made about the Oakland team. An ensuing twitter campaign was started to have Joe removed as beat writer on the Horizon League twitter page. I haven't read much from Joe since then, I wonder if it ever got anywhere.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Vindy Coverage of YSU
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »
What, exactly, is a laughing stalk? Is that celery with a sense of humor? A funny creeper?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Vindy Coverage of YSU
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
I honestly have never really read him Wick. If what you are saying is true ...I too will take exception to him. I live in Columbus, so I read the Dispatch. From the Vindy, I read most everything YSU. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have so much coverage abut YSU athletics. I will also read a headline or so if it catches my eye. I try to stay away from Op-writers. Now I do like to read the old-fashioned editorials, when you had to ID yourself.

What I hate about the Dispatch Sports is that they feel obligated to publish pro & Con Articles on the Buckeyes. I will NEVER understand that. I am not that big of a Buckeye fan. In fact I despise Mr. SEC head-coach. It is a paper's job to cover the local college athletics ...so just do it. Worse is they always but the mask the articles by saying "special to the Dispatch". I mean these people do not work anywhere else. Scalzo has the blog & that is a good way to do it. I am not looking there for latest news there, just some opinion based on facts that I cannot get myself. Or specials on players and staff. A bit of History now and then. The Dispatch could learn from the Vindy's blog. The Dispatch tries to make their blogs look like news.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:59:54 AM »
I-as fan, you're the only person on planet earth who thinks the vindy is better than the dispatch . The dispatch breaks more stories in a week, than the vindy will in a decade.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
What, exactly, is a laughing stalk? Is that celery with a sense of humor? A funny creeper?

Name another sports editor in the world who trolls on a message board, you cant!

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
That's so ironic, Alanis Morisette should have included it in her song.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »
They all do JJ. I am not comparing the two papers. I am saying that it is apples to oranges ...too hard to compare. I am not looking for YSU info in the Dispatch. Yet, I do see OSU coverage in the Vindy.

If you want to see change, you do not start by attacking. You start by seeing what they do right, then your words of criticism have a greater impact. You do not want to effect change ...you want to see improvement. Sports fans always think change. Here is a word of advice from my grandmother ...pretend that a football coach (or the Vindy) is your child
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:30:12 AM by IAA Fan »