Author Topic: 7-footer transferring to YSU  (Read 4916 times)

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
7-footer transferring to YSU
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »
Saw this in the Vindicator this morning.  Anyone heard about him?

Oral Roberts center Jorden Kaufman is transferring to the Youngstown State men’s basketball team.

Kaufman (7-0, 255) played in all 33 games for the Golden Eagles (17-16) with five starts. The Andover, Kan., native averaged 4.4 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.

ValleyTalk

Re: 7-footer transferring to YSU
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Saw this in the Vindicator this morning.  Anyone heard about him?

Oral Roberts center Jorden Kaufman is transferring to the Youngstown State men’s basketball team.

Kaufman (7-0, 255) played in all 33 games for the Golden Eagles (17-16) with five starts. The Andover, Kan., native averaged 4.4 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.
This was already posted and discussed here:
http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php/topic,8990.msg69725.html#msg69725

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
dmorton thought he would have to sit out a year.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:21:27 AM »
Yes, Of course I'm hoping he doesn't, but according to NCAA rules unless it's a hardship; I don't see why he wouldn't sit out until 2015-16.  Unless some else knows something that I don't I would expect him to sit out.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »
Boy I remember how good ORU was back in the Mid-Con. Great basketball, baseball, track and volleyball come to mind.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:09:39 PM »
I am not too excited yet, we have 6'9 and 6'8 players who probably couldn't play NAIA basketball. They are slow an can't jump over a dime! These guys should have been doing jumping exercises everyday. So will the new 7'0 footer truly impact the team like Ricky Tunstill did years ago.

Yes, we definitely need an inside force that can play defense and average 8+ points a game. Will this guy be the man???

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
I am not too excited yet, we have 6'9 and 6'8 players who probably couldn't play NAIA basketball. They are slow an can't jump over a dime! These guys should have been doing jumping exercises everyday. So will the new 7'0 footer truly impact the team like Ricky Tunstill did years ago.

Yes, we definitely need an inside force that can play defense and average 8+ points a game. Will this guy be the man???
Yes, at least Ricky Standstill ( 7' 4") could block shots when he was number 2 in the country trailing Hakeem Olajuwon. As I recall, he followed Mike Rice to YSU.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:47:23 AM »
I want to give Jorden an opportunity to see what he can do at YSU. Having said that, his stats in 2 years at ORU were rather underwhelming. He also has had problems with foot injuries, something which is not uncommon for players of his size. Had an injury in High School that curtailed his Junior Season, and then a foot injury his Frosh year at ORU that led to him being unable to play the final 20+ games of the regular season. The list is extensive of players 7 foot or taller who had tons of potential, and had their careers cut short or diminished but either knee or foot injuries. Greg Oden, Bill Walton,

He played in all 33 games last year, and had a total of 4 blocks. To put that in perspective, DJ Cole had 4 blocked shots. KP had 10 blocked shots. Cole is listed at 5'11" and KP at 6'0". So, he does not exactly appear to have been an imposing presence in the paint for ORU. I'm just cautioning people against expecting him to be a player like Damian Eargle. On the plus side, he shot almost 73% from the FT line(24-33). That is a very good percentage for a player of his size.

The year of just practicing and not playing in games may prove to be of extreme benefit to Jordan. Then again, under Slocum, YSU has not exactly shown a proclivity for having "big men" make significant improvement during their 4-5 years at YSU.

Another thing to consider, is ORU plays in The Southland, which the past 2 seasons has been ranked 27th and 26th in conference RPI. So, he is making a significant step up in terms of quality of competition. And, the HL, while a gurad dominated league, is also a rather physical league.

I wish Jordan the best at YSU. And, hopefully he will have 2-3 positive years at YSU. In my opinion, he seems like a "project", because it is not possible teach a player to be 7'0 and 250lbs. From a basketball standpoint, would liekly be more excited if he were a Frosh who could be red-shirted and then have 4 years to play at YSU, than being a player with only 2 years of eligibility at YSU.