Author Topic: Tressel accepts job as YSU President in principal  (Read 24851 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Tressel accepts job as YSU President in principal
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - The Youngstown State University Trustees have selected Jim Tressel for the next university President.

The word came after Trustees met in special session this morning.

The vote was unanimous to select the former Ohio State and Youngstown State University football coach for the job.

Trustees say that Tressel has accepted the job in principle.

YSU spokesperson Ron Cole tells 21 News that the university has not yet planned a news conference with Tressel present.

A spokesperson for the University of Akron, where Tressel is an executive vice president, says Tressel is not expected to be on the Akron campus today.

The university released the following statement:

The Youngstown State University Board of Trustees voted unanimously today to offer the position of president to James P. Tressel, executive vice president for Student Success at the University of Akron.

Trustees authorized board Chair Sudershan Garg and Vice Chair John Jakubek to negotiate and execute an employment contract with Tressel. Garg emphasized that the appointment is not final until contract terms can be reached.

Tressel, former head football coach at YSU as well as Ohio State University, would become YSU’s ninth president, succeeding Randy J. Dunn, who resigned in March to become president of Southern Illinois University.

The board voted to offer the position to Tressel after a national search. Tressel and two other finalists for the position visited campus this week. The board met in closed, executive session this morning and then convened publicly to vote to offer Tressel the position.

“After fully examining each and every candidate and reviewing the input from hundreds of individuals across the campus and the community, the Board of Trustees believes Mr. Tressel is the right individual at the right time to lead Youngstown State University,” Garg said. “Mr. Tressel has the personality and leadership skills, in addition to widespread community support, to dramatically raise YSU’s profile and prominence across Ohio and the nation.”

Tressel, who grew up in northeast Ohio and graduated from Berea High School in 1971, became vice president for Strategic Engagement at the University of Akron in May 2012 and was promoted to executive vice president for Student Success in December 2013.

He previously was head football coach at Ohio State between 2001 and 2010, where his teams won the national championship in 2002 and Big Ten championships in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. As head football coach at YSU from 1986 to 2000, Tressel’s teams won four Division I-AA national championships. He also was executive director of Athletics at YSU from 1994 to 2000. Prior to YSU, Tressel was an assistant football coach at Ohio State, Syracuse University, Miami University of Ohio and the University of Akron.

He earned a bachelor’s degree in Education from Baldwin-Wallace College in 1975 and a master’s degree in Education from the University of Akron in 1977. He has published two books: “The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life” (2008) and “Life Promises for Success” (2011).

Tressel has a long list of awards, including the American Football Coaches Association National Coach of the Year in 1991, 1994 and 2002, the Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year in 1994 and 2002, the Paul “Bear” Bryant National Coach of the Year in 2002 and the Sporting News National Coach of the Year in 2002. At YSU, he received the Heritage Award in 2008 and was inducted into the YSU Athletics Hall of Fame in 2013.

He has given dozens of presentations and lectures across the country, from the Goodyear Intellectual Seminar, the Knoxville Tennessee Club and the Nike National Clinic to the Worthington Industries National Convention, Smucker Company Leadership Program and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Tressel’s extensive involvement in fundraising and philanthropy includes participation in YSU campaigns for the Andrews Student Recreation and Wellness Center, the expansion of Stambaugh Stadium and the Watson and Tressel Training Site. In 2007, Frank and Norma Watson and Jim and Ellen Tressel donated a combined $1 million to the YSU Centennial Campaign to help fund the WATTS.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Tressel accepts job as YSU President in principal
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
Congratulations to Jim Tressel and congratulations to YSU!

It is time to have a dynamic person with a pulse leading the University.  We saw what the PhD academic leaders were doing.  It is time for a fresh approach.  I am truly excited for the future of YSU.

I do think JT will involve himself with the Athletic Department at YSU.  He understands first-hand the benefits of positive exposure that winning signature sports brings to a University.  It is great that Olympic sports have flourished at YSU, and the current Athletic Department deserves full credit for that.  But the signature sports of MBB and FB need to stop languishing in mediocrity.  It is simply a wasted opportunity and wasted resources.  I expect JT to make positive influences in these areas.

It's a great day for YSU.  Go Penguins.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Congratulations Jim and congratulations to all of us.  This is a great day.  Several early thoughts:

Eric, your new boss hates bad defense more than we do.  Get it fixed.  Now!

Support for football has eroded terribly over the past decade plus.  This hiring might convince some fans to give YSU football a second chance. 

Each year we bring prospective students and their parents to campus for what is called a "crash day."  Imagine the impact that Tressel will have on those gatherings.  He will be there for hours posing for pictures.  His football recruiting talents will transfer to the general student body.

Money people.  You wanted him; you got him.  Time to step up to the plate.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
Just a heads up, go read the reaction around the country. YSU is being held up to scorn and ridicule heavily for the hiring, but most held Akron up for the same. Might be popular locally, but the   outside world  is looking down their collective noses at this. Will be interesting to see how this actually plays out.

Offline Iceman

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »
Just a heads up, go read the reaction around the country. YSU is being held up to scorn and ridicule heavily for the hiring, but most held Akron up for the same. Might be popular locally, but the   outside world  is looking down their collective noses at this. Will be interesting to see how this actually plays out.

Exactly, YSU is the laughingstock of the nation right now.  The guy is a proven cheater & liar, but I guess that doesn't matter.  How about another 2Pac quote Jimmy!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:18:03 PM by Iceman »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »
Those who do not agree with this hiring have a right to voice your opinion. Just as myself and others believe hiring Tressel was a very good move for YSU. Has he made mistakes, yes. Did he commit serious crimes? NO. He got caught bending NCAA rules, something which is done at EVERY D1 college. Also, EVERY top D1 football program has players who commit felonies. I hate when people act as if that only happens at OSU. Despite what some will say, Tressel DID apologize for his actions at OSU. But, for some, his apology was not good enough. This is not Jerry Sandusky we are talking about. Tressel was not convicted of committing felonies. His mistake was trying to handle things "in house", when he ught to have gone directly to the AD. He was not the first coach to do this type of thing, nor will he be the last.

Tressel has the support of many prominent members of the Ytown/Warren area. These are individuals who donate major $$$ to YSU, and who would not support Tressel if they felt he was not qualified for this position. Many of these people own businesses, and hire YSU students and graduates. IT is not in their own best interests to have a person as YSU President who is not up to the task of performing their job. He also had the support of the heads of ALL 3 unions at YSU, including the faculty. His ability to raise money and connect with people is needed more than ever, as funding for Higher Education continues to dwindle. The next step now is to hire a highly competent individual as Provost, since Provost handles the academic affairs of a University.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:57:54 PM »
Let's Talk,

Very well said.  Some people continue to equate NCAA rules with federal and state laws.  Tressel violated the former but has never broken the latter.  Now if Tressel would just place a phone call to Martin Abraham, "our" master plan could still materialize. ::)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »
Nice ESPN blog re: President Tressel:

"We're mediocre in the world in education," Tressel told me. "We're not at the top of the heap. I don't like being mediocre. I want every kid to get that job they're looking for. It drives you every day to figure out how we can get 26,000 to 27,000 kids to succeed. That's as tough of a game as there is."

"Bottom line: You look at what college presidents do and where the job will be, and Tressel looks like a good fit. He reportedly wanted the Youngstown job more than the Akron one, and he remains extremely popular in the Youngstown community. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/100666/president-tressel-makes-sense-at-ysu

Interesting article from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogergroves/2014/05/05/tressel-comment-speaks-volumes-about-unattractiveness-of-current-day-coaching/

The story is featured everywhere from Fox News to the Washington Post. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »

Exactly, YSU is the laughingstock of the nation right now.  The guy is a proven cheater & liar, but I guess that doesn't matter.  How about another 2Pac quote Jimmy!

Who cares? Let them keep talking  ...more advertising for us. I can see ESPN and  the MVFC network calling right now to see if the president sits in a box or a loge. If the later does he come down for interviews.

Local money coming back into the university, as they know they have to put their money where their mouth is.

Akron people saying 'he took YSU because we did not want him' while YSU people saying Tressel did not want Akron. Nice fresh seed for a rivalry.

Ahh ...feels like Youngstown again  :)

President Tressel, first order of business ...take over that Eastern Gateway ...or get it shut down! Then do the same with Kent Trumbull. Otherwise YSU will continue to dwell in "mediocrity"

It could not have worked out better
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:15:48 AM by IAA Fan »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 08:50:37 AM »

Who cares? Let them keep talking  ...more advertising for us. I can see ESPN and  the MVFC network calling right now to see if the president sits in a box or a loge. If the later does he come down for interviews.

Local money coming back into the university, as they know they have to put their money where their mouth is.

Akron people saying 'he took YSU because we did not want him' while YSU people saying Tressel did not want Akron. Nice fresh seed for a rivalry.

Ahh ...feels like Youngstown again  :)

President Tressel, first order of business ...take over that Eastern Gateway ...or get it shut down! Then do the same with Kent Trumbull. Otherwise YSU will continue to dwell in "mediocrity"

It could not have worked out better
First off, iceman, you never have anything positive to say, so I could careless what you, or anyone across the nation thinks of this move. Inside the Buckeye state, it is being praised by our great Governor, Senator's, local politicians, and fans of Tressel all across Ohio.

Second, IAAFan, I agree with everything up to a point. I disagree about Eastern Gateway. This area badly needs that community college. Those students, at least initially, should not be going to YSU. A bad wrap about YSU is the fact they accept virtually everyone. Now, since they made it slightly tougher to get in, many of those students that would have gone to YSU before are now going to EGCC. We need our area educated across the board. A nice mix of college grads and community college grads is better than an area filled with those with just high school diplomas.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
ValleyTalk, I agree 100% with you about Eastern Gateway. If anything, EGCC helps YSU and the entire Ytown/Warren area in the long run. I worked a new student orientation program at YSU in 88-89. It was during my 3rd year at YSU. Alot of the people that were entering YSU had no business in college. ACT scores of 10 or less. Testing into the lowest remedial math and English classes in the placement tests. These people were spending 2 or 3 years just to make up high school deficiencies, and take remedial classes. That type of thins is best done at a Community College.

For alot of fields, an Associates Degree is all that is needed as far as college. And, for students like I described above, they have a much better chance of success in college if starting at a place like Eastern Gateway.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
EGCC is a great thing for YSU as has already been pointed out. It weeds out students that maybe should not be in college, YSU can be more selective and therefore raise graduation rates which I believe will bring more money from the state.

Who cares what the zits think or say, maybe they should have hired Faust.

I was on the fence about JT at first but I am impressed with all the excitement he has generated. This is a good time for YSU.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »
EGCC is fine ...let's just make sure YSU is in control of it. Just like Ohio State controls Columbus State Community College. As you say ...it weeds out the have's and have not's. My father was a professor his entire life & he always said that the problem is too many people go to university.

I went to Columbus State after YSU. I had to get a computer certification. Works out great for everyone. OSU sent me all kinds of literature after that to remind me that all my CSCC credits count at OSU as well. YSU needs to do the EXACT same thing. Then YSU needs to open a large campus building in Warren and push Kent out. We all know that very few will attend at first ...but so what? The idea is to create something long term. Then YSU needs to become certified in the state of PA and do the same in Hermitage.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:53:20 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »
Then YSU needs to become certified in the state of PA and do the same in Hermitage.

Interesting thought, maybe a dumb question but can you do that? Cross state line that is?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:45:01 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne