Author Topic: 2014 MVFC Predictions  (Read 12411 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
2014 MVFC Predictions
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:54:09 AM »
I was looking at a thread on AGS and some hard core Valley fans are not putting a lot of faith in the prospects of the upcoming season for the Penguins.  The most optimistic projections had YSU just below UNI, SDSU and NDSU.  The consensus, however, was a 5-7/10 place finish.

It is still very early, but the concerns regarding YSU's defense and uncertainty at QB make these predictions seem legit.  YSU FB under the Wolf seems to peak early in the season, and the Illinois game will be a bellwether game.  A loss likely means another 4 (or 5) loss season and no post-season.  A win likely means YSU will be competitive with the top of the MVFC (especially with NDSU who has lost their HC and many players to graduation) and will have a reasonable chance at the post-season (although no guarantees as the Pitt win did not lead to a playoff selection).

If I had to call it now....I'd put YSU in 5th with UNI, the -DSUs, and ISUr in the top 4.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?152376-2014-Missouri-Valley-Conference
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: 2014 MVFC Predictions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:17:36 PM »
Right now, I call that generous. USD had many recruits sit out because of the team's transitional status ...they almost beat us last year ...should have actually.

ILS will be good again ..and Missouri State will be the most-improved team in the conference ...some say the country. I do not know about MSU, as they have had great teams for several years ...but they just cannot win any games under Terry Allen. Too bad, I always liked him at UNI. However, they won 4 of their last 5 ...the 3-point loss coming at UNI in th final game (when UNI was playing well). I will also point out the lost to Central Arkansas in OT by 3 ...same thing to USD. From what I understand, the new student section is already sold out & they added turf as part of the Plaster renovations.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »
I hope Wolford does not complain again when we are selected in the second division during media day.  Look at this objectively.  How would you rate a team that had the worst defense in the league and also lost a record-setting quarterback? 

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
Is there any good things about this years team that we can talk about? It can't all be bad can it?  :)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »
Is there any good things about this years team that we can talk about?

Absolutely not.

It can't all be bad can it?  :)

Yes, it can.

just kidding.....The expectations for YSU FB is still National Championships.  Makes it difficult to savor an 8-4  season with no post-season.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the MVFC thinks of this year's edition when they make their pre-season  rankings voted on by the  media & coaches.. My guess is YSU will be ranked low, perhaps very low . Besides a last place D returning and the loss of a record  setting QB,, most of the OL is gone. The team will be young, inexperienced and not have much depth at most positions except RB. Its easy to see UNI, NDSU and SDS at the top again, but there will be many teams as good or better as YSU in the middle of the MVFC. Except for the 3 non-league weenie games, the league will be a huge challenge for YSU. With just a few injuries, a losing season  is possible.  Playoffs ?  :(

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »
I'm a very positive person and always hope for the best.. But I honestly have no hope at all for this coming season.  I just don't see it.  I'll be at games, but yikes. 

I hope to God they prove me wrong and I look like an idiot.  I'll eat crow and be happy doing it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
I'm a very positive person and always hope for the best.. But I honestly have no hope at all for this coming season.  I just don't see it.  I'll be at games, but yikes. 

I hope to God they prove me wrong and I look like an idiot.  I'll eat crow and be happy doing it.

I am with you Stuperman ...I'll take crow over Thanksgiving turkey at home any day ...unless we get a home play-off game of course.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »

I am with you Stuperman ...I'll take crow over Thanksgiving turkey at home any day ...unless we get a home play-off game of course.

I was pretty optimistic at the Spring game until I realized that was our first-team Defense getting shredded.

Lots of work to do. A couple transfers at the interior D-line would be very welcome.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
I hope Wolford does not complain again when we are selected in the second division during media day.  Look at this objectively.  How would you rate a team that had the worst defense in the league and also lost a record-setting quarterback?
Sorry if this is a dumb question (after all i am just a Rock Hopper) but when is Media day?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »
Hoping for the best but fearing the worst...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question (after all i am just a Rock Hopper) but when is Media day?

Usually the Friday of the first full week in August Mayor. It should be August 8th this year. I will find out and post.

ps: I up'd you to a Humbolt Penguin because of your good comments :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:45:35 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »
Again the defense looked horrible. What a load for a YSU fan to carry.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:17:07 PM by Pizza »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »