Author Topic: YSU hosting HL Outdoor Track and Field Championships  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU hosting HL Outdoor Track and Field Championships
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »
Way to go!!

Horizon League Outdoor Track & Field Championships Underway

"Through three events, Youngstown State leads with 39 points while Milwaukee is in second-place with 26 points. On the women's side, the Penguin women leads with 30 points, while Valparaiso is in second-place with 26 points."

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-outdoor-track--field-championships-underway.html
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

Re: YSU hosting HL Outdoor Track and Field Championships
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
The men have been on a mission since the indoor title to beat Milwaukee. The women are heavy favorites on their side. Being that we are hosting this championship, it be huge to win both titles!

GO YSU!

kforbs126

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:29:13 AM »
And someone said YSU athletics are the worst ever?   :o

I'm excited for the Guins to continue to improve in all sports.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:58:11 AM »
Some of us have commented on how good the Olympic sports have been under Strollo ...both facilities and performance.  :)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
Folks, don't kill the messenger here :-[ but the men's opportunity to top Milwaukee evaporated yesterday.  To have any reasonable chance, we needed to totally dominate ALL field events.  That did not happen.  Somehow Milwaukee produced field athletes that almost matched us.  We needed to be at least 50 points ahead after yesterday.  Obviously it did not happen.  Why such pessimism?  The freakin' hurdles :(  Out of 62 possible team points in the two hurdle events, Milwaukee is projected to acquire 59!  We are projected to claim zero.  Until we, or for that matter any other Horizon League team, can produce hurdlers that can steal points from Milwaukee, our prospects will remain grim.

On a brighter note, our women are well on their way to massive victory. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 01:17:06 PM »
Folks, don't kill the messenger here :-[ but the men's opportunity to top Milwaukee evaporated yesterday.  To have any reasonable chance, we needed to totally dominate ALL field events.  That did not happen.  Somehow Milwaukee produced field athletes that almost matched us.  We needed to be at least 50 points ahead after yesterday.  Obviously it did not happen.  Why such pessimism?  The freakin' hurdles :(  Out of 62 possible team points in the two hurdle events, Milwaukee is projected to acquire 59!  We are projected to claim zero.  Until we, or for that matter any other Horizon League team, can produce hurdlers that can steal points from Milwaukee, our prospects will remain grim.

On a brighter note, our women are well on their way to massive victory.
This is a good start in the field events today:
"@ysusports: Guins go first through fourth in shot put at #hltf championships. Grace wins at 19.49m."

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
Wick has valid points. Gorby is smart and realizes that it was Butler in distance and Milwaukee in sprints, so he went with Field events ...which means we can have one more event to place with the hammer. However, with Butler out, UDM & Loyola seems to have stepped up in distance. With Loyola out, the men need is a distance win ...which we do not have as both of the top runners are done outdoors ...they had a year left in Cross-Country & one of them had indoor eligibility. It is going to be close for the men. I tell you what though ...I do not see us in second ...we are first or 3rd/4th. Jackovina is the key to take field events.

GO FOR IT ALL!!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
Men and Women both in lead after day #2:

"YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio— Eleven finals took place on day two of the 2014 Horizon League Outdoor Track & Field Championships at Farmers National Bank Field.

Starting with the multi-events, Kylie Kopp of Wright State entered day two 118 points back of teammate Sarah-Ann Blount. Kopp placed third in the long jump, second in the javelin and third in the 800-meter run to place first with 4,312 points. Detroit’s Hana Hunt placed second while Blount placed third.

Shawn Bohler of Milwaukee placed first in the decathlon with 5,964 points while Matt Marzahl of UIC took second with 5,375 points.

Freshman Arnaldo Morales of Youngstown State edged out teammate and defending high jump champion Jay Jakovina by .03 meters, 2.09-2.06 meters.

Youngstown State’s Bobby Grace broke the Horizon League shot put record he set in 2012. On the last throw, the senior registered a mark of 19.49 meters. It is his third Horizon League Outdoor Track & Field shot put title.

The freshman duo of Justin Zosso of Valparaiso and Pawel Klimek of UIC cleared 4.42 meters in the pole vault.  Zosso was declared the winner after clearing the 4.42 meter mark on his first try. In the women's pole vault, fellow Crusader Sarah Peters was one of four vaulters to register a mark of 3.25 meters, and was crowned champion after clearing the mark on her second try.

In the women’s long jump, Youngstown State’s Nina Grambling took top honors with a jump of 5.54 meters.

After a weather delay halted action at 3:55 p.m., the championship restarted at 6:00 p.m. local time.

Jennifer Neider of Youngstown State resumed the competition with a new league record in the shot put (14.51m). The Penguins finished 1-2-3 in the event, with Jayne Corbett placing second (13.96 meters) and Ciera Trybend (13.30 meters) taking third.

In the long jump, Jakovina took first-place with a jump of 6.71 meters.

In the men’s steeplechase, Austin McLean of Youngstown State narrowly edged out teammate Eric Rupe. McLean crossed the line in 9:17.31, good for a .14 second victory.

The final event of the night saw Valparaiso's Nicole Zehel take first-place in the women’s steeplechase with a time of 11:10.96.

In the men’s team standings Youngstown State leads Milwaukee, 118-55. Valparaiso sits in third place with 34 points.

On the women’s side, the Penguins are in first-place with 78 points. Wright State stands in second place with 56 points, while Valparaiso is in third with 46 points.

Championship Sunday begins at 10 a.m. with the Horizon League Network picking up coverage at 11:55 a.m. ET. Live scoring is also available on Delta Scoring.

#HLTF Men’s Results (Day two of three)
1 Youngstown State 118
2 Milwaukee 55
3 Valparaiso 34
4 UIC 33
5 Detroit 22
6 Oakland 14

#HLTF Women’s Results (Day two of three)
1 Youngstown State 78
2 Wright State 56
3 Valparaiso 46
4 Detroit 29
5 UIC 17
6 Oakland 16
7 Milwaukee 6"

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/youngstown-state-men--women-lead-hltf-championships.html
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 09:48:28 PM »
Very good news.  Milwaukee's 59 point hurdles projection was reduced in the preliminaries to 48 as a result of a disqualification and two injuries.  Also, their best hurdler later pulled up in the 200 meter dash.  If he can't go tomorrow, that 48 point total will be reduced. 

Great job by the YSU field teams today in the long jump and high jump as well as in the shot put as Valley noted earlier.  We now have a fighting chance.  Don't be misled by our big lead.  Milwaukee can score over 130 points tomorrow.  This might go right down to the last relay.

Also, don't worry about the relatively close women's score tonight.  Just a quirk in the events schedule.  We will outscore Wright State by about 60 points tomorrow.  Actually, Milwaukee could easily finish second.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »
i was wrong on Rupe and McClean. They did run and went 1-2 in the 3,000m. This is awesome news!! ladies lead is not a string as I expected. Lots of excitement tomorrow!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
"The Penguins hold a significant team score lead in the men’s events entering the final day of the meet. The women also sit atop the team standings, as they look to win the track and field triple crown having already won the indoor championships and the cross-country title this season."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/may/04/ysus-grace-wins-sets-horizon-shot-put-re/#sthash.9TanaJUd.dpuf

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »
well, worse than expected ...UWM is ripped everyone to shreds in the sprints ...in two cases they will sweep. They have taken the lead. If I am reading this right, we do not have a 4x100 team in the finals? Our only hope for the men will be no less than 1, 2, 6 in the 5k.  I added it up, we can only score enough to win by 2-points ...without help from UWM. We always have such a depth issue and do not participate in the multiple-events (decathlon, heptathlon, etc.).

Too many finals still left for the ladies, but we scored more than I expected and UWM & UIC are having monster days ....since they were in last and next-to-last place, that really helped us.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
Fantastic finish for the men in the 5k ...Rupe, McClean and Gliha all scored in the points. (placed 1,2,6) Although a UWM runner took a point. We are up 193-179. Correct me if I am wrong, but the relay is only worth 10-points. So have we won it?!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:54:52 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
Fantastic finish for the men in the 5k ...Rupe, McClean and Gliha all scored in the points. (placed 1,2,6) Although a UWM runner took a point. We are up 193-179. Correct me if I am wrong, but the relay is only worth 10-points. So have we won it?!
I think we have won it by 10 points. Ladies won it also. Way to go.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
Great job by all of our athletes, men and women alike.  That 5k men's race was nerve-wracking after Milwaukee surged ahead by five points.  With several laps left, Rupe started to assert control, and you had the feeling that the race was his.  But that would have given us only a five point lead going against a very good Milwaukee relay team.  Extreme pressure.  But McLean saved the day.  On the last lap he came out of the pack where he was probably sixth or seventh and sprinted to that second place finish.  That was so huge as it lifted all the pressure from our totally inexperienced 4x400 relay outfit.  With the title in our pocket, they just had fun and actually finished third.  For me, in a weekend filled with heroes, McLean's sprint was the biggest single action.