Author Topic: Tennessee RB Alden Hill plans to transfer  (Read 6030 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Tennessee RB Alden Hill plans to transfer
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee running back Alden Hill has decided to transfer to another school.

Hill tweeted a link to a post on his Instagram account Tuesday in which he said he had ''decided to move on for my best interest and find a new home.'' Although Hill's Twitter account is unverified, Tennessee coach Butch Jones confirmed via text message that Hill was planning to transfer.

In his Instagram post, Hill thanked Tennessee's coaches and fans and said he ''will always remember my time spent at Tennessee, my first true love.''

Hill, who is from Alliance, Ohio, had 10 carries for 58 yards and one touchdown as a redshirt freshman last fall. He closed spring practice this month by rushing for 5 yards on three carries in the Orange & White Game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Tennessee RB Alden Hill plans to transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
What do we know about him? Not overly large, so he may not be needed. I think we offered him out of HS. If he has any power, go after him.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »
Marlington ran the Veer Option with him. Not considered fast and that is what killed him at Tennesse. ESPN had him at over 5 for the 40 while Tenn had him at +4.6. At 6'2, 221 you might think he is physical.................. and you'd be wrong. Considered soft.  Ran in a finnese offense, not a Power one in H.S. Rated 3 stars in H.S. and had lots of offers. Tenn had poor running backs and Hill was still buried on the depth charts. Over rated.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:45:28 PM »
How in the hell do you guys find this kind of information?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41:10 PM »
We have like 10 RB's lol. Don't need him

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »
I don't know, I would have to trust coach M on this one. Hill is not a dummy; has junior academic status after only 2 years. So he has 3-years if he comes here with no downside in the classroom. He was DIII Mr. Football (offense). Says he wanted Tenn & walked on without an offer. They offered him after one weekend of camp. Could have been a rash decision by UT ...but they had to have seen something. With his size, 4.6 is not bad. 428lbs (s) & 285lbs (b) is not bad. There has to be some power there.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
Guys, how about this.  Instead of stockpiling more skilled offensive athletes, let's scrutinize the "transfer wire" for defensive players that can actually tackle.  We will have receivers and running backs on our bench that could start for about half of the teams in the FCS division.  That won't mean a thing if we can't fix our defense.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:13 PM »
To add insult to injury, Tennesse recruited 3 (THREE) RBs in this  years class and moved a WR over to tailback. Was the Ohio D-III Player of the year as a Jr. but didn't win it as a Sr.  I note Marlington played Poland his senior year and they held him to 70 some yards. I'd be surprised if he came here. Frankly, YSU has several very good RBs that are extremely effective. Can't see Hill adding much here.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »
To add insult to injury, Tennesse recruited 3 (THREE) RBs in this  years class and moved a WR over to tailback. Was the Ohio D-III Player of the year as a Jr. but didn't win it as a Sr.  I note Marlington played Poland his senior year and they held him to 70 some yards. I'd be surprised if he came here. Frankly, YSU has several very good RBs that are extremely effective. Can't see Hill adding much here.

Paladin has been getting "crushed" by some members of our community (on this forum).
But on this Alden Hill topic....he is 2 for 2 on his posts.

I saw this kid twice in person and twice on TV. Got a lot of "ink" from local/regional media. Big/fast/strong..they said. Against Poland he got stuffed. Showed me nothing against a decent D3/D4 Poland.
Got blasted in the 1 or 2 playoffs games Marlington played in during his 4 years there.

He played on a "decent" HS D4 team...which played in a bad league. Did OK..but was exposed against better competition. Got crushed against the best in the Division.

Would have been 2nd team on Ursuline/Mooney..St. Ignatius...Moeller...etc. Not because of physical ability.....just not a tough enough player.

5 yard gains for a D1 HS running back ..turned into 85 yard TD runs by Hill because he played against a bunch of slow 5'6" defensive Lb's and 5'4" Db's from a bad league.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:38:29 PM by Pizza »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
PP

can't speak for anyone else but to your question, personal knowledge with lots of search info from   the Tenn  student newspaper, local sports newspaper articles, recruiting boards, the Tenn athletic site and Tenn fan message boards.  Take the factual and ignore the B.S. stuff.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
Thanks Paladin