Author Topic: Basketball Adds Guard Shaun Stewart During Late Signing Period  (Read 2010 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Youngstown – Shaun Stewart, a 6-foot-1 guard from Monroe, N.C., has signed a National Letter of Intent during the late signing period to join the Youngstown State men's basketball program in 2014-15, Head Coach Jerry Slocum announced on Friday.

Stewart, who played the 2013-14 season at Cloud County Community College, will have two years of eligibility remaining at Youngstown State. He played one season at North Carolina A&T during the 2012-13 season.

"Shaun is a great addition to our program" Slocum said. " He's a proven scorer from the 3-point line and has the ability to take the ball to the rim.

"He's a great student, comes from a good program and was well coached by Chad Eshbaughat Cloud County. We are excited to have him join our program.

"I chose Youngstown state because I felt comfortable around the coaching staff and the team," Stewart said. "It seem liked they were a family when I came on my visit.

"Another reason I chose YSU was I really think I fit the system there and what they are looking for. The main reason I picked YSU was I have the opportunity to be successful on and off the court.

Last season, Stewart helped Cloud County to a 16-15 record and scored 651 points with 93 assists and 174 rebounds. He scored at least 20 points 16 times and averaged 21.7 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game. At Cloud, Stewart was named first-team all conference and second-team all-region.

He also posted more than 30 points in game seven times, including a career-high 37 points against Garden City Community College on Jan. 25, 2014. In a 75-70 loss to Pratt Community College, Stewart scored 32 points and made nine 3-pointers.

For the season, Stewart connected on 44.7 percent from the field, 39.9 percent from 3-point range, and 78.7 percent from the free-throw line. He made 89 3-pointers and recorded 55 steals in 30 games.

At North Carolina A&T, Stewart played in 12 games and scored 23 points with four assists and seven rebounds.

At Sun Valley High School, Stewart scored more than 1,700 points to become the school's all-time leading scorer. As a senior, he averaged 26.7 points, 6.5 rebounds and 6.1 assists, and led the Spartans to the Southern Carolina 3A/4A regular-season and tournament championships. He also earned District 9 first-team honors from the North Carolina Coaches Association.

Stewart was a three-time all-conference performer and a two-time all-region player. He earned All-Southern Carolina 3A/4A Player-of-the-Year honors as a junior and a senior.

Stewart joins Ja'Christian Biles (Oak Park, Mich.), Bryce Nickels (Tampa, Fla.) and Sidney Umude (San Antonio, Texas) in the 2014-15 recruiting class.

Biles helped Oak Park High School to a 14-6 record and a district championship this past season. He scored a game-high 23 points in the district championship game and 22 in a loss in the regional semifinals.

Nickels was named to the Hillsborough County East-West All-Star game and helped Sickles High School to an overall record of 16-12.

Umude was named second-team class 8A-7A-6A by the Sun Sentinel and Honorable Mention All-Broward County by the Miami