Author Topic: Jim Tressel applies for presidency of Youngstown State University  (Read 2217 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- Jim Tressel, the University of Akron's executive vice president and former Ohio State University football coach, is now a candidate for two university presidencies after submitting an application for the top job at Youngstown State University.

Tressel is also one of 15 candidates being considered for president at UA. YSU spokesman Ron Cole confirmed Tressel had applied.

He released a statement from Tressel provided by Akron: "I am respectful of the presidential search process underway at both Youngstown State University and The University of Akron. Both University communities are a very meaningful part of my professional history. I feel grateful that people from both University communities have expressed interest in my application. I believe it's appropriate that I not comment any further during this part of the process."

The University of Akron hopes to name the person who will succeed President Luis Proenza next month. Proenza is retiring June 30.

YSU was forced to seek a new president after President Randy Dunn, after only seven months in the job, told the board of trustees in February he was resigning to become president of Southern Illinois University. He left the university at the end of March.

A search firm and search committee have advertised for the position.

Tressel, who coached at YSU from 1986 to 2000, remains beloved in the Youngstown area, and community leaders have promoted him for the presidency.

Tressel holds only a master's degree and has only had an administration position at UA for about two years, which has led to concern by faculty at both institutions.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Tressel applies for presidency of Youngstown State University
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
The list of applicants is now available on the local media websites.  The pool is terribly weak.  Half of the 33 applicants border on fringe candidates.  Quite a few lack that academic doctorate that traditionalists demand.  Honestly, that list does contain two names that stand out: Tressel and Martin Abraham, currently the dean of our STEM college.  If I were on the Board of Trustees, I would offer the presidency to Tressel and convince Abraham to accept the position of provost.  I would assure him that he would have complete control over academic matters.  I would also pay that new provost the exact same salary as the president. 

Heaven help the trustees is they select one of these mediocrities or a politically correct applicant instead of Tressel.  Someone suggested there might be rioting in the streets.  That prediction might be extreme, but corporate giving to YSU would evaporate and financial woes would exponentially multiply.