Author Topic: Vindy: Garry steps up in QB derby  (Read 4718 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vindy: Garry steps up in QB derby
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »
YOUNGSTOWN

Youngstown State’s two-man quarterback race just got a little more crowded.

Sophomore Tanner Garry played well in YSU’s second spring scrimmage, making a case that he should be considered alongside junior Dante Nania and redshirt freshman Ricky Davis.

“Those three guys are in the thick of it,” said YSU coach Eric Wolford, who spent more than half of Saturday’s 100 plays on third-down situations. “Tanner stuck himself back in the race a little bit today. It had been a two-man race up to this point.”

Garry found a rhythm midway through the session, converting four straight third downs at one point and five of six.

On the second-to-last series, Garry threw a 35-yard touchdown pass to Christian Bryan on third-and-8. That was the lone conversion in the final 13 third-down plays of the afternoon.

“It’s still a pretty good [QB] race,” said Wolford, who told reporters at last weekend’s scrimmage that Nania and Davis had separated themselves in the race to replace Kurt Hess. “I think it’s getting down to two guys, but we’ll look at the film again.”

Offensively, YSU was solid on third downs last season, converting 47 percent in conference games to rank third in the 10-team Missouri Valley. Defensively, the Penguins were last by a wide margin at 56 percent. The next-worst team was Indiana State at 45.3 percent.

“It’s just a crucial part of the game,” Wolford said. “We really felt like third down hamstrings us when it comes to taking the next step for this program.”

Wolford praised YSU’s defense on Saturday, saying it played “outstanding.” He said the defensive line is, by far, the most improved group on the team.

“You can see it,” he said. “It’s glaring. They’re aggressive, they’re fast. [Senior defensive end] Vince Coleman has been a one-man wrecking crew. He’s been very physical and that’s part of his game he didn’t have last year.

“Desmond Williams at end has tremendous speed. Interior-wise, Octavius [Brown], [Steve] Zaborsky, [Emmanuel] Kromah, [Eric] Myers — they don’t get a lot of style points, but they’re very solid inside.”

Offensively, he was critical of the line, saying, “Those guys didn’t come to play today.”

“It’s hard to evaluate their [the quarterbacks’] play when they’re constantly assaulted with pressure,” he said. “If they’re not going to have an opportunity to throw the football, we’re not going to have a chance to be successful.”
- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/apr/13/garry-steps-up-in-qb-derby/?newswatch#sthash.FdYk41SV.dpuf

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Vindy: Garry steps up in QB derby
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:58:32 AM »
Garry impressed me last year. Good to see him stepping-up. He was not allowed to do much, but it was obvious that he was somewhat in-command. Should be an exciting game next week.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
I am actually optimistic about the QB position this year.  We will have a more mobile quarterback who will know he must perform or another one will take his place.  The inexperience doesn't bother me.  I thought one of Hess's best performances was his very first game at Penn State.  With Ruiz back I think we will still have one of the most explosive FCS offenses, maybe even moreso than before.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
I really think I am going to place my trust in coach Shane. I think we can find success if we open up our run game to more in the middle & off-tackle. We have the speed that we need to work the corners on the ground. However, I do not want to see us go with a QB simply because he is our best run-threat.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »
I'm confident in these guys... The problem is going to be the Offensive Line. From what I've heard in practice so far, the D-Line has taken it to them so far. Big boys up front are struggling. Good thing are QB's are mobile

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
A few points--

the DL should be better if they stay healthy. But don't kid yourself, these guys aren't all league. Very average.

The OL IS a problem. Not much depth here either. Inexperienced and not all that good. O will sputter at times ( except in the weenie games).

QB is still a problem. No one is really all that good. Too inexperienced. Not top rate passers so run will be part of their game.

The RBs are the strong suit this year, yet they depend on  the OL. So do the QBs. Run game had better work.