Author Topic: Ryan Weber Transferring  (Read 53848 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Ryan Weber Transferring
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »
I think everyone is overreacting just a bit. I think it is a serious loss ...but not our first, nor our last. I also do not think anyone from the University is"hiding under the table" it is just that many things have to be completed before things can be finalized. Why say anything that may jeopardize his ability to transfer, or force coach S to discuss personal issues that he already might have resolved. Right now Keene and Webber need to get everything together. This far from a major offense by Slocum, so if you do or do not like ...your opinion should not change.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »
IAA,  Excuse my ignorance but what does it mean"to get everything together.   My understanding is that Webber is out of here.   Is Keene still in the program ?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 06:11:38 PM »
IAA,  Excuse my ignorance but what does it mean"to get everything together.   My understanding is that Webber is out of here.   Is Keene still in the program ?

From all accounts, both of them are gone.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
This is a huge disappointment losing Webber to a transfer in his senior year! It appears the basketball department is totally inept. What in the world is going on? There has to be changes in the basketball program, if you what people to get excited about YSU BB.

As to the player who transferred 20-30 years ago, I believe your taking about John Keshock - he was the best pure shooter on any YSU team I ever saw. He transferred after the 1985 season to Vanderbilt. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
This is a huge disappointment losing Webber to a transfer in his senior year! It appears the basketball department is totally inept. What in the world is going on? There has to be changes in the basketball program, if you what people to get excited about YSU BB.

As to the player who transferred 20-30 years ago, I believe your taking about John Keshock - he was the best pure shooter on any YSU team I ever saw. He transferred after the 1985 season to Vanderbilt.

Weber would have been a junior, not a senior.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »
The player that transferred out was Dave Ziegler.  6-6, pure shooter, and our top scorer.  Went to Kent State.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 08:28:26 PM »
Fan0505: Thanks for the correction on Webber's junior year, my error, something told me it was his senior year.
It still is a major loss and I enjoyed seeing him improve this year with ability to drive to the hoop. He also led in 3 point percentage; he will be missed.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »
Reports are that Weber has been granted his release but is still gathering info on which school to transfer to. MAC schools are involved, may want to be closer to home. Schools have calling his high school head coach asking about him.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 08:45:09 PM »
Well that really sucks! I enjoyed watching him play. Would love to know why, but doubt we will ever hear.

I sure hope he does not go to a rival, like that bum did 20-30 years ago. Can't recall his name, started with a Z I believe. Ended up as a zit I think

I am not a hater or lover of Slocum but sometimes in life you need to make a change for changes sake. He is a decent coach but the program is stagnant and needs a fresh face.
I believe it was Dave Ziegler who transferred to Kent State. He and Weber have similar look, height and shooting style.
That be him, akron/kent I knew it was close. Thanks
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
I remember Coach Rosselli saying that Ziegler was the best shooter he had ever coached going into Dave's freshman season.  Back then we never played Kent so he didn't come back to Haunt us.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 12:31:30 AM »
Looks like alot going on in the program. Not sure what to make of all this?

I do have a question/comment, and please note I was NOT a huge fan of Robic as HC. Wasn't one of the reasons for his non-renewal the number of players transferring out of the program, and turmoil going on within the program. I understand the on-court record was the main reason, but let's also remember Robic was given the task of being YSU's first HC as a member of the HL.

If both Weber and Keen transfer, that MIGHT be a sign of internal trouble in the program. I can understand Weber might want to get closer to home, but YSU is not all that far from Indy. It's hard to know the reasons for his transfer, and I do not want to speculate. Just wish him the best, because he is a very good player, and I agree with those saying he was the 2nd best player on this past years team. At least in HL play. And, I believe Weber and Hain could have been a potent 1-2 punch for YSU offensively the next 2 seasons.

Will be interesting to see how everything plays out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:02:48 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 03:14:32 AM »
I'm as discouraged as I've ever been with YSU sports.  I felt the YSU BB rogram was just starting to turn it around the last couple of years, now I don't know.  I've about had it!  I was hoping for a competitive season next year, now I doubt if we win 7-8 games.  This is disheartning.  And I expect the football team will be in rebuild mode as well next season!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »
So now that Weber is gone. That's KP, Kam, Podolsky, Chjinaki (sp), and Keene along with Ryan all gone. The only players returning who played significant minutes would be DJ, Bobby and Amiker..... Yikes.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
Unless the stars align and the cow jumps over the moon it will be a really bad year.   Then we can extend Slocum's contract again.    At this point who give a sh** about the b-ball program anymore.   The ath. dept has killed all fan interest.

Online goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
I dont buy the closer to home scenario.... Unless, a member of the family is ill or something... If that was the case he wouldve left last year... I have no knowledge as I live on west coast but one would think he wouldve hung with Bobby as they came in together and seemed to grow together the first two years... Im of the theory that NO one player is bigger than the program but there is MORE to this story then the fans know... Someone needs to come clean as both Keene and Weber are gone...?  These arent BENCH players we lost they are difference makers.....  The AD cannot hide behind underachieving teams forever.... Unless of course, the ADMINISTRATION and FANS allow him to...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:21:06 PM by goodnews »