Author Topic: Wolford gets extension  (Read 11477 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Wolford gets extension
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »
Joe Scalzo and Dana Balash both reporting Eric Wolford is getting a 2 year extension through 2016. Will coach this year under first contract. Unsure if he gets a raise.... Go Guins

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wolford gets extension
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »
Fine, but there better be a buyout clause contained within this contract.  This program simply can not survive three more years of failure.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »
I agree Wick. Time to get in the playoffs. No more excuses

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »
I agree Wick. Time to get in the playoffs. No more excuses

I agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »
No Comment.

Offline ysufratrat23

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
Time he should SHUT UP and start to PUT UP!!!

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »
Time he should SHUT UP and start to PUT UP!!!

Exactly.  The man is all talk, with no results.  Its getting old fast.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »
I certainly understand the frustration !
Hopefully these coaching staff adjustments will
pay off in player development and game management.
This is a fan based message board and a good sounding board;
however, if the contract is finalized, it will be beating a dead horse.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:17:07 AM by ScarletRook »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »
Neither for or against the extension, but here is what I find extremely amusing --

the last coach kept losing more games each year he was here and people WANTED an extension. Wolf wins more games each year and people aren't FOR an extension, lol.

the previous coach, while a good DC, was a lousy HC who couldn't recruit at all and had sub-standard talent. Wolf, while supposedly a good OL coach, has been outstanding in bringing in better talent in recruiting, but has been killed by the D C.

the previous coach, while not a JT was an assist for JT and had the apologists  crying for him. Wolf, never a JT assist., has no apologists .

the previous coach had good  D teams and high school offenses that got embarrassing  while Wolf has record breaking Os and a D that's plain awful.

the previous coach came nowhere near the playoffs before his extension while Wolf has just missed by one game for several years.

attendance fell with the previous coach while losing, yet even as Wolf wins more, attendance is flat or dropping

the previous coach ran the ball while Wolf lives by the pass.

the previous coach destroyed a Cadillac program while Wolf was handed a beat up  junker.

The fair question is given  the circumstances, who deserved an extension and who didn't, playoffs aside since neither made it when extensions handed out  ?

Tale of  Two  Cities ?

lol

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »
Interesting analogy Paladin ...but all opinion on H and W. Too many details left out.

The previous coach took over a worse program. Why? Because his recruits did not pull through and his coaching staff was demolished. The current coach's first-year staff chased away half of the defense ..then canned the D-coordinator.

The previous coach was much more consistent ...until the attempt to switch to the spread. He was even competitive with a team that was ALL 2nd & 3rd stringers.

The previous coach was much more competitive in the GFC ...the current coach simply loses to anything in the upper-half.

The truth is that the previous coach played Youngstown ball and in Youngstown it is truly not whether you win or lose ...it is how you play the game. The current coach came in and made changes ...so far they have not panned out.

The previous coach recruited extremely well, so get off that bad-recruiting crap. Always the same old blah, blah, blah "great DC bad HC or bad recruiter". Both are as much BS now as ever. Has not the current staff taught you anything? Wolf's best players come from H's top prep school connections. H recruited football players ...Wolf recruits athletes. Then we are stuck using these kids before they truly know their positions. All of W's top players so far have been H's recruits ...so what more evidence to you need? H recruited Youngstown but was still smart enough to get out to PA, GA, FL, TX and CA. Today coach W works with a budget that allows & expects him to travel. Today coach W pays a single coordinator more than coach H could pay himself and his entire staff.

This is no excuse, you don't win, you suffer the price. The previous coach lost his job. However, he had enough guts to tell Strollo that he would leave if he did not make the play-off. It did not happen and he kept his word.

I might add that the previous coach had a better record at the time of his first extension ...along with a conference championship.

The previous coach did not make the post-season after finishing in a tie for 1st-place. There was even initial negotiations to bring ESPN here again because we always show so well. The current coach complains about a committee that does not choose his team after they are blown out by the two teams above them & one below them in the conference.

That last comment might be uncalled for, as I did not think Wolf said anything after losing three in-a-row. Scalzo may have added a previous quote. If this is the case, I retract the comment.

So let's move on. If you are going to make comparisons ...make them with some supporting details. Remember that H also gave Wolf a team with a YSU D and a new spread O  ...Wolf proceeded to replace that D we so desperately have needed the past few years. Isn't it funny how it always you that brings up coach H. The rest of the board moved on 4-years ago.

I do have an opinion on the extension ...you have to give it to him ...no reason not to. I have a problem with the hire in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:27:37 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
Heacock did NOT take over a worse program.... Are you serious? Like Paladin said, Heackock was given the keys to a Cadillac and he left it burning on the side of the road. Wolf was given a jalopy that didn't drive and is slowing turning it around. You can't even compare the state of the program between the two

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 06:26:18 PM »
I can and did. I stand behind my statement. A caddy without 5 ashtrays is just a Chevy.

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 08:46:38 AM »
I agree with alot of what Palidin said.. I also understand an extension. 

However... I think the reason some people, myself included, are simply fed up with wolf are his persona. 

He talks and talks a big game, yet hasn't exactly produced what he's talked up.  He's arrogant as all hell, he's disrespected many people since day 1.  If he wins, fine.  Everyone would probably just put up with it.  But if your going to be a cocky ass, at least do as you say you'll do.  He came in with a big head, thinking this would be easy. 

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 09:13:11 AM »
Wolf is not the only coach with an ego and an abrasive persona.  Not defending that at all, but now a days it seems is what fans call "swag" and relish it among players.  If you are holding players responsible you have to account for yourself too and that is not the aura that Wolf projects.  You can be forgiven of a lot of things when you are winning and accused of a lot when you don't.

Venting frustration with the football program by not attending games is not very effective when attendance is on the decline.  I feel it only contributes to problems.  1. Fans will be portrayed as not caring enough about a program to show up so why make changes?  2.  Players develop apathy when fan base declines and the fire and desire to win soon fades.

It seems the whole school has been abandoned by the powers to be.  Enrollment is dropping, yet I see very few attempts to market YSU beyond the regional area.  When I am back in the area, I am surprised by how few businesses display any type of YSU gear, but stand ready to collect fan base $$.  Sometimes I think YSU has painted the whole campus with camouflage so it will go unnoticed.  There is a whole attitude that needs to be changed.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
Wolf is not the only coach with an ego and an abrasive persona.  Not defending that at all, but now a days it seems is what fans call "swag" and relish it among players.  If you are holding players responsible you have to account for yourself too and that is not the aura that Wolf projects.  You can be forgiven of a lot of things when you are winning and accused of a lot when you don't.

Venting frustration with the football program by not attending games is not very effective when attendance is on the decline.  I feel it only contributes to problems.  1. Fans will be portrayed as not caring enough about a program to show up so why make changes?  2.  Players develop apathy when fan base declines and the fire and desire to win soon fades.

It seems the whole school has been abandoned by the powers to be.  Enrollment is dropping, yet I see very few attempts to market YSU beyond the regional area.  When I am back in the area, I am surprised by how few businesses display any type of YSU gear, but stand ready to collect fan base $$.  Sometimes I think YSU has painted the whole campus with camouflage so it will go unnoticed.  There is a whole attitude that needs to be changed.

Very good point