Author Topic: Kendrick Perry Selected to Portsmouth Invitational Tournament  (Read 1876 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Portsmouth, Va. – Youngstown State guard Kendrick Perry (Ocoee, Fla.) has accepted an invitation to become the first Youngstown State men's basketball player to participate in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (P.I.T.), April 16-19, at the Churchland High School Sports Complex.

Established in 1953, the P.I.T. invites 64 of the best college basketball seniors to participate in a four-day, 12-game tournament in front of representatives from every team in the National Basketball Association (NBA) and many scouts from international leagues. The P.I.T. is the only postseason event for college seniors prior to the NBA pre-draft camp.

"It is very humbling when you think of the seniors across the nation to be invited to this prestigious tournament," Perry said. "I'm very appreciative of this honor. To be considered one of the top 64 seniors in the country is truly humbling and I'm excited to for the camp to start."

"Being invited to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament is a tremendous opportunity for KP," YSU Head Coach Jerry Slocum said. "He truly has earned this chance to showcase himself in front of scouts from each NBA team and several international scouts. Kendrick was a special player, and even a better person, for Youngstown State and we are all proud that he has been given this opportunity."

Perry, a three-time All-Horizon League First-Team selection, concluded his career collegiate career as Youngstown State's Division I leading scorer with 1,991 career points, which also ranks third on the school's all-time list.

Perry also earned National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District First-Team honors in 2013-14 and 2012-13, and was a second-team selection in 2011-12.

Perry, a 2014 Capital One Academic All-America Second-Team choice, also ranks 10th on the Horizon League all-time scoring list, and is YSU's and the Horizon League career-record holder with 246 steals.

His 16.2 points per game career scoring average ranks second in YSU Division I history and is the 10th highest all-time. He is also the only player in school history with 1,900 points and 500 assists in a career. His 505 career assists ranks third all-time.

Just the 13th three-time first-team all-league selection in Horizon League history, Perry finished the regular season as the league's overall scoring leader with 20.9 points per game.

He concluded the 2013-14 campaign with 682 points, the Division I single-season record and the third-highest single-season total all-time. His 21.3 points per game average this season ranks 10th on the YSU single-season list.

During the 2013-14 season, Perry set a YSU Division I record with 10 30-point performances, including scoring 35 points against both Milwaukee on Feb. 20 and Oakland on March 4.

He also broke his own single-season steals record with 76 after setting the previous mark of 74 in 2011-12 as a sophomore.