Author Topic: Spring Practice  (Read 8594 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Spring Practice
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:34:48 AM »
Spring ball starts tomorrow. I'm interested to see 3 things this spring...

1. Obviously the QB race. Davis, Nania, Garry and Wargo fighting it out. I think Davis and Garry are front runners but we shall see. Also interested to see how the offense changes.

2. How does the defense look with Jamie Bryant as D Cordinator? What changes will be made with Bryant in charge now and Tresey gone

3. What young kids are ready to step in and grab playing time? We need a DB along side Childs to step up, and now we need 2 LB's with Teven gone. Also wanna see how the O line develops.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
There will be a lot of things to watch for in both concerns and excitement.
Will the new coaching staff be the turning point for developing players?
Will Coach Wolf return with the same passion as before?
Several more I'm sure on everyone's list as well.

I have heard that the players have been working hard and trying to come together as a
solid unit.  I believe that the majority of players have that burning desire to win.  Now if they can
just turn their desire into wins!  Maybe the weak opening opponents <aside from Ill.> will provide
the needed opportunity to grow and turn the corner.

As frustrated as I get at times, I know we still have a good group of young men on the team
so all I can do is try to make it to the games, cheer loud, and support the team and coaches.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:38:27 PM »
Illinois is going down.   >:(

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »
Ricky and Dante took most of the 1st team snaps today at QB. Sophomore Jaylin Kelly took over Teven's spot at LB. Stephen Page is the starting center. But besides him, they don't have a solid backup at center. All the QB's seemed to have great connection with the savvy veteran Jelani Berrassa who is back for his 6th year of eligibility and looks 100% healthy.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
My early view is they will experiment and move the OL around trying to find their best 5. My guess right now is its Eisenhuth, Strickland, Harris, Colucci and Page with Bell and Wilson possible. Page needs a lot of work and I'm nervous if he is a starter. This is a year where if the OL doesn't stay healthy, the season goes down the tubes.

D has lots of ??. DL needs the most improvement.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »
They need to get the O line situated because we are going to have a young, inexperienced QB so they have to strong up front.

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:40:31 PM »
Any word on how things are going?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »
From what I'm hearing, Nania has the upper hand as of now. They are running more option like offense, getting Nania out in space to run. Still a long way to go....

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
who's been to practice and seen the QB's and defense?  I'm curious to know how the kid from Canton area is doing at qb.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:57:16 PM »
From today's scrimmage from viewpoint of Joe Scalzo:

"@JoeScalzo1"

"Watching YSU's first spring scrimmage: Looks like Dante Nania and Ricky Davis are clear top two at QB. Davis has looked terrific so far."

"Nania looks completely different than he did last spring. Much better grasp of the offense, more confident, better play. Good sign for YSU fans."

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »
I agree on Dante's improvement, but I think Tanner Garry is still a better total package, but Nania seems to have the vision of a runner. That fade rout of Garry's on 4th & goal was beautiful. Ricky Davis could be starting for 4-years just like his predecessor. Not a bad thing at all, but it does mean we have to sacrifice the first-year.

Running game is not were it needs to be at this point. Defense is ahead of offense ...not sure if that is good or bad. Over-emotion played a big factor today, so I am not going to read too much into things. I tell you what though, everyone needs to be at the spring game ..I really think it will elevate your level of confidence
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:55:19 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:40 PM »
Really disappointed in the lack of coverage on spring ball. Even from the athletic department. No videos of Wolf after practice..... Nothing. Anybody been hearing anything?

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
I understand there is a TV program on YSU football hosted by coach Wolford and Dana this Tuesday.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

ValleyTalk

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »
Go to the spring game on Friday if you want an unbiased look at the team. I am very interested in our QB play, changes to our offense, and of course the defense.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
I understand there is a TV program on YSU football hosted by coach Wolford and Dana this Tuesday.
If you don't mind me asking, who is Dana?