Author Topic: Bad Call  (Read 6262 times)

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Bad Call
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:26:17 AM »
So the Oakland play seems to have taken a life of it's own. Everyone I talk to who doesn't have a dog in this fight tells me it was a bad call. A moving pick/screen. One day I want YSU to get the respect it deserves and actually have a call like that go their way.

What do you all think? Good call or bad call?
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Call
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »
I haven't watched the play, because I can't find it.  But as a basketball official, if the Oakland player was not moving and the YSU player ran him over.....that's a foul on YSU.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:40:23 AM »
Bobby Knight used that play several times when in the same situation. 
I am not sure why YSU wasn't a bit more prepared for that as it has been
copied by other teams.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:21:36 AM »
The play was all over Yahoo yesterday as a  featured sports film.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Dean Smith used the play while coaching at North Carolina. It was a good call, unfortunate but what else would you expect?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »
He was stationary. It is certainly not a classy or fair play, but valid. It is a case where the rules need changed. The change needs to be made on the sideline positioning, That player who was in-bounding the ball should not have been aloud to move up & down the court. I have never liked that both the players and the in-bounding person can move freely ...why bother? Drop the 5-second violation & allow every offensive player one move to get open.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »
The only time a player (the in-bounder) is allowed to move like that is on a made basket/free throw.  At no other point is the in-bounder allowed to move like that....whether it be on the endline or sideline.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »
Thought it was a good call as I watched on HLN + the replays.    Still haven't got over that game.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
Soup City.........just curious, since you are an official. It had no bearing on the outcome, but is it typical to make a clock adjustment, from .04 to .o6, after two free throws are shot? Not being an idiot, just have never seen that done before.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
Adding time to the clock in a situation like this is quite common, now that officials have replay to consult. I'm not an official, but have watched enough games to see this happen on several occasions. There are even times were a made 3 point shot will be reviewed during the next stoppage of play to determine if it was actually a 3pt FG, rather than a 2pt FG.

As for the call on the play in question, I think it was a good call. It was also a smart play by Kampe. Risky, but smart.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 08:22:26 PM »
Soup City.........just curious, since you are an official. It had no bearing on the outcome, but is it typical to make a clock adjustment, from .04 to .o6, after two free throws are shot? Not being an idiot, just have never seen that done before.

Yes, if you have direct knowledge or replay....you should change it.  I believe that it's .07 seconds or more to get a shot off while .03 seconds or less can only be a tip.

If this game was a blowout, I would assume they wouldn't have added the additional time.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »
So Soup........if it is .7 to get a shot off....and .3 is only a tip.........then with . 6 left....we should have only worried about the tip. That really brings into play our strategy! Thanks for the insight.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 07:06:31 AM »
In college, .3 seconds or less, a team can only score on a tip in. If there is .4 or more seconds remaining, a basket by virtue of "catch and shoot" counts.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:09:55 AM by Lets_Talk »